Effing Bloat!

cassie

Having had a dog have it adn survive - 3 times, yes she had had a gastroplexy, but still bloated on two more occassions due to gutsing inappropriate stuff - it is an horrendous thing to go through. Thank goodness he is okay and you guys were on to it. It is truely terrifying to see them expand before your eyes. Your story sounds exaclty like our first time. Except it was 5am and she had eaten etc as normal at 8 pm the night before and been crated for a time etc so we have no idea why either.

How is darling Sumo going cassie? hope he is gradually on the mend. Give him a huge, healing cuddle from us please :grouphug:

Bloat is such a horrific thing. I must read up on it. Don't know how previlent it is in BC's but it scars the hell out of me.

cassie - my heart sank when I saw who had posted this - so glad your boy is home and OK - bloat is one of my greatest fears and has been since we got Earl. I second your advice about knowing the symptoms - we do not mess around with any upset tummy symptoms - luckily our local 24 hour vet is very close (and knows Earl well)

Hugs to you and Sumo

Snap Khm, I was scared to come in here and see which of your beautiful big boofers was affected. So pleased Sumo has come through the surgery. Wishing Sumo a speedy recovery and you, a good night's sleep. :hug:

same here.

Held off reading too.

Very valuable info posted from others.

Thank Dog you were prepared and took action so promptly,cassie.

HUGS & LOVE to all of you.

:love::grouphug::love:

Edited by VizslaMomma

SAS

I can't get the great dane rescue website to display - not even the home page.

tried .org. too but that didn't work either

Tried two different browsers... and obviously my internet is working or I couldn't post this.

Must be something on your end, working fine. The link I gave was for a PDF, perhaps you don't have a PDF reader.

You can go here and locate the Bloat chart from the downloads page: http://www.greatdanerescue.com.au/downloads.htm

Hi everyone and thanks for your comments and added links.

On recommendation of the vet, Sumo has been on a bland diet of cooked chicken and rice since he came home. I was concerned that he wasn't eating much, only picking at bits and pieces. Well turns out he's not so crazy about rice! :) Today I tried him on just the chicken and some canned food and he ate it all up :) He's also got his attitude back and was woo-wooing at me to get out of bed this morning. So glad my cheeky monkey is feeling better.

:thumbsup: So pleased darling Sumo has got his woo-wooing back Cassie :thumbsup: great news !!!

So not happy with rice huh... We don't min chicken though :p Give him a huge, healing cuddle from us Cassie :grouphug:

Dam bloat is such a hideous thing & so painful for them. I am going to read through the kindly provided links when i get a moment as I am unsure if BC's are very prone to this. To my knowledge they aren't but I will still make myself aware of the symptoms. Stella since being on Epilepsy meds drinks sooo much water all the time. Even during exercise.

Hi Cassie

when I make the chicken and rice mix - I put the chicken in with the rice and cook them together - that might make the rice more appealing.

Tho my dog is not that fussy. She will eat week old bread that has been out in the weather as slug and cut worm bait (you still have to catch and destroy the beasties but they're easier to find if they're all over a bit of bread)...