Osteoarthritis

Hey everyone long time no post :wave:

Unfortunately my return is not on a positive note but I know I can always count on you trusty DOLers!

A couple of days ago Boss was diagnosed with arthritis, he has had his synovan shot and is due to go back every week for the next month. He's also on Carprofen tablets everyday.

Luckily we discovered it at an early stage so hopefully we can prevent it or delay it getting worse.

So I have done some research on supplements to give him and want to hear your thoughts and experiences on NAS Omega 3, 6 & 9 Oil and NAS Joint and Ligament Support? Or any recommendations you have?

Also any suggestions on a mat or bed for him? Nothing outrageously expensive as its just for him to sit on whilst I'm in the lounge room otherwise he sleeps on the bed.

Thanks everyone :)

Edited by Miss BeRidgierent

Unfortunately my return is not on a positive note but I know I can always count on you trusty DOLers!

A couple of days ago Boss was diagnosed with arthritis, he has had his synovan shot and is due to go back every week for the next month. He's also on Carprofen tablets everyday.

Luckily we discovered it at an early stage so hopefully we can prevent it or delay it getting worse.

So I have done some research on supplements to give him and what to hear your thoughts and experiences on NAS Omega 3, 6 & 9 Oil and NAS Joint and Ligament Support? Or any recommendations you have?

Also any suggestions on a mat or bed for him? Nothing outrageously expensive as its just for him to sit on whilst I'm in the lounge room otherwise he sleeps on the bed.

Will he eat raw chicken feet? I give my two mini schnauzers a frozen one each as they have natural glucausamine. I have fed these to all my dogs and have never had an arthritis problem with any of them.

So I have done some research on supplements to give him and what to hear your thoughts and experiences on NAS Omega 3, 6 & 9 Oil and NAS Joint and Ligament Support? Or any recommendations you have?

Will he eat raw chicken feet? I give my two mini schnauzers a frozen one each as they have natural glucausamine. I have fed these to all my dogs and have never had an arthritis problem with any of them.

Oh thats interesting to know. Thank you. I will put that on my list hopefully he likes them, It would be a great treat!

Edited by Miss BeRidgierent

My sister has a husky shep cross who is 11.5 years old, so a large breed and quite elderly dog. She just started to age over the past year and developed mobility issues from arthritis. She started on the weekly shots for a month and saw an instant response. She also started on Sascha's Blend sprinkled on her dinner at night and my sister bought her a magnetic blanket to lie on at night on her bed. It was six months before she showed any signs of mobility issues or pain and had to go back for another round of shots. We've also offered her heat pads on really cold nights but she is not interested. She is on a kibble for ageing dogs as she was losing weight on the Black Hawk the others get. I am absolutely amazed at how nimble she is just with what has been done to assist her so far. The other dogs in our house are a lot younger and more playful but the old girl will happily bounce around and play zoomies with them. Her appetite and thirst levels have increased and I think that is the Sascha's Blend. She hates pain and will cry at the very hint of it so I am confident these couple of things have improved her quality of life greatly.

With my old labrador we needed a new bed for the same reason, what we found was the best and cheapest was one of those egg shell foam mattress toppers. We got a single bed one and cut it in half, put the two flat sides together and then put it inside a single bed doona cover, folded the excess over and sewed that up. You could put another doona over it and not sew it up for a removable washable cover.

When he started having accidents at night we then just put a double sided picnic blanket on top, so it was still soft on top but the bottom was water proof.

It lasted the last 12 months of his life and he just loved it smile.gif It was very big for him to stretch out comfortably and cushioning for his joints.

As well as Cartrophen shots he was also on pernaease powder which is the generic cheaper version of Sashas Blend.

It has Green Lipped Muscle Protein in it which is proven to help arthritis, we found it made a big difference especially in the earlier years. smile.gif

Edited by LisaCC

I have both my two on Rose-Hip Vital Canine and fish oil. Works well for both my Border Collies (a 6 year old and a nearly 14 year old) who have both had orthopedic surgery of some description. My oldie is 14 next month and still comes out on long walks. Only yesterday we went out for about 4km or so. I had tried a number of other products with my youngster which weren't as good for her. Its also a little bit of trial and error to see what the dog responds to the best.

My 6 year boy has recently been diagnosed with Arthritic hips in it's infancy :( I have had him on Rose Hip Vital for about 5 months now & am very pleased with his improvement thus far & he is looking over all in terrific condition as well. I just give him 2 scoops a day. I also give this to Stella as well as it can't hurt even though her joints are fine as a precaution. I also find Sonny has improved his movement & is much freer. Also have been giving Megederm, 3,6,9 + E & 1 Blackmore's Osteo Care Kangaroo chews which, again may help your guy. He is also taking half a Carprohen & half a Tramdol daily. Sonny started Acupuncture Yesterday as well but it is a tad early to say whether this will be beneficial to him but will keep you posted on this.

While it isn't good news, it can be managed. Just a matter of trail & error to see what works for you dog as they are all so different.

Edited by BC Crazy

wow thanks for all the suggestions everyone. Much appreciated.

As you said BC Crazy and Ness is trial and error. So I will take everything on board and try and find what works best with my boy.

LisaCC that's a great idea... Surely Clark rubber would have something I could use. Thanks for the suggestion. :) I will definitely look into pernaease powder too.

Thanks for the input Little Gifts I actually haven't heard of Sascha's Blend, so I will look into this one also.

I agree about the trial and error thing. My sister also bought a range of other supplements all at the same time but we started using the Sascha's Blend, it worked and we haven't even opened the other stuff. I can see a big jar of Joint Support and another called Techny Flex Canine still sealed. There could be others hiding in the cupboard. Obviously there are a few options out there on the market!

I give our boys Zeel tablets, one per day. It's a human supplement but the vet recommended it as an anti-inflammatory for Brandi's bladder and system and it also is used for arthritis relief. Hermon no longer limps on his injured leg and Benny is going great guns. The dogs also love the Costco memory foam beds - they are the bed of choice in this house and seem to give a really good amount of both cushioning and support and big enough for Hermon to stretch out.

I agree about the trial and error thing. My sister also bought a range of other supplements all at the same time but we started using the Sascha's Blend, it worked and we haven't even opened the other stuff. I can see a big jar of Joint Support and another called Techny Flex Canine still sealed. There could be others hiding in the cupboard. Obviously there are a few options out there on the market!

Very true, the only difference is the price of some of these supplement :dropjaw:

I give our boys Zeel tablets, one per day. It's a human supplement but the vet recommended it as an anti-inflammatory for Brandi's bladder and system and it also is used for arthritis relief. Hermon no longer limps on his injured leg and Benny is going great guns. The dogs also love the Costco memory foam beds - they are the bed of choice in this house and seem to give a really good amount of both cushioning and support and big enough for Hermon to stretch out.

Oh great I have been meaning to go checkout costco so this will be a great excuse to get down there and check it out. :thumbsup:

Keep in mind that you need to be a member BUT you can pay the membership, go in and shop then resign your membership for a refund immediately after! I've kept it because we find it cheaper to stock up, but its saved is 100s in dog beds alone.

The Zeel you need to get online and it pays to do some research too.

Plenty of options around. I am using Joint Guard for my Samoyed at present. It does pay to do your research though. You can find the same products for vastly different prices online and one might be cheaper until you add in postage so be careful for that. I have plenty of spare time at present so I have the luxury of ample research time. Best of luck finding a product that works for Boss :) I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

I would be interested in all the options too, my 13 yr old dally is very wobbly and his back end is giving way daily now.

He is on fish oil, Glucosomine tabs and Mobic daily, but anything else I can give him would be worth a shout, I will go and research all the suggestions.

I would be interested in all the options too, my 13 yr old dally is very wobbly and his back end is giving way daily now.

He is on fish oil, Glucosomine tabs and Mobic daily, but anything else I can give him would be worth a shout, I will go and research all the suggestions.

Look at Green Lipped Muscle Protein, I did a report on it for uni last year, lots of interesting studies out there smile.gif

Edited by LisaCC

I am using Blackmores Osteocare for Ziggy.. He has two chews a day.

I tried the RHV and Joint Guard and another one that you sprinkle on food but he wouldn't eat the food (even if I mixed it in yoghurt, I couldn't get it into him)..

The Osteocare chews are just really easy and convenient.