What To Put In A Yard

OSoSwift

I wouldn't want dogs going on agility equipment unsupervised and I wouldn't want kennel staff putting my dogs over agility equipment. It would probably put me off a kennel if I saw that sort of stuff in the yards.

I was not suggesting agility equipment as such, just a range of similar items that were low. As OSS puts it bridges may be a better term. Tyres lying on the ground instead of set up as a jump. I would not have thought the risk of injury was any greater than the dog jumping off the top f a pile of dirt/pipe/sane etc.

Another thing I have seen give many a dog much fun but you might not be happy with is bales of straw.

One think I knew but has been compounded over the last few years, no matter what you do, try to do and no much how much sffort you put in there will awlays be someone who doesn't like it. All you can do is your best and safest.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One think I knew but has been compounded over the last few years, no matter what you do, try to do and no much how much sffort you put in there will awlays be someone who doesn't like it. All you can do is your best and safest.

Point I know you will keep in mind is this is your creation and hard work. By all means, others can dislike parts of it. But if you have ensured all is safe, then stiff..... if you know what I mean.

:D

Point I know you will keep in mind is this is your creation and hard work. By all means, others can dislike parts of it. But if you have ensured all is safe, then stiff..... if you know what I mean.

Thats the theory I work on :)

Thats the theory I work on :)

:thumbsup:

I wouldn't want dogs going on agility equipment unsupervised and I wouldn't want kennel staff putting my dogs over agility equipment. It would probably put me off a kennel if I saw that sort of stuff in the yards.

I was not suggesting agility equipment as such, just a range of similar items that were low. As OSS puts it bridges may be a better term. Tyres lying on the ground instead of set up as a jump. I would not have thought the risk of injury was any greater than the dog jumping off the top f a pile of dirt/pipe/sane etc.

Another thing I have seen give many a dog much fun but you might not be happy with is bales of straw.

Was I not supposed to give my view?

Yes you were,

I was saying that anything done would be done with all due consideration but even then I know some people won't like what I do as you cannot please everyone. That also happens as some people have odd ideas and have not much idea how dogs actually think and some have unrealistic expectations.

I am also not kennel staff, I am the owner and dogs safety is my prime consideration in anything I do with the dogs I have. I am also a dog sports trainer/handler do I would not put dogs into a situation - ie agility equipment- where they could be hurt. Every idea will be noted and I will thoroughly assess the safety side of things before it is implemented.

Edited by OSoSwift

Not sure if these would be of any use but when I worked in a sign shop all the vinyl/print material was supplied on rolls 600mm and 1200mm long ( like giant toilet rolls/postage cylinders ) and about 5 or 6mm thick ( some are thinner ) and you can saw them up with a hacksaw into smaller sizes if needed. I used to bring some home for my lot and we'd give some to the local kindy's for craft projects, otherwise they would just be thrown in the recycle bin. If you have a local signage place you could probably give them a call and ask if they just throw them out could you maybe collect them once or twice a month. Some rolls are thicker than others ( just make sure that you tell them they have to be ALL cardboard ). They usually buy rolls of vinyl in at 50m per roll so if it's a large sign company they will go through more than a few a week. I'd probably store them somewhere inside though in case a snake decided to slide on into one. Maybe not for smaller doggies as the diameter is about 100mm and you don't want one stuck over a little ones head/neck.

This sounds amazing, and I love the effort you're going to!

My dogs are pretty much happy if theres a tunnel, a high point and a running track and often run from these two things in a circuit :laugh:

So your original tunnel under a hill is perfect for my guys!

You could also buy some kids play tunnels and take them out every now and again to vary it a bit.

You can get them from bunnings and are easily packed up and stored inside :)

I also love the cardboard bits to rip up- i have a shredder in my house too.

How about very large tree trunks that you can partially bury in the ground for the larger dogs to jump over. They also love to dig a cool hole on the shady side to chill out once they have finished hooning.

IMGP2907_zpse8b47d0a.jpg

Definitely staffy balls or the like for ball crazy dogs. They are very tuff and keep the larger ball obsessed dogs entertained mentally and physically.

IMGP1928_zps0bcd70b2.jpg

We are having som trees removed so tree trunks are a definite possibility :)

I have had kids play tunnels - which were great with my dogs but visiting dogs tend to be very hard on them :)

Yes Staffy balls and Jolly balls are on my list :)

Edited by OSoSwift

It has been great reading this thread, good luck with your design.

I am in the process of building an 'enrichment garden' for my 2 rescue staffies. They are both 2years old and have boundless energy, but alas, one of them can jump my 5 foot gates, so for the most part they are kennelled during the day while I am at work. I'm not really happy with this, and I presume neither are they, as they rip their bedding up every day and anything else in the kennel - including the fake grass!!! :mad

We are lucky to have 20 acres so are going to fence in a new area adjacent to the house yard with 6 foot fences, fingers crossed this does the trick. We are going to put in a tunnel and cover with dirt to form a hill. I will also have a shell pool and maybe a bungee toy, I'm still not decided on this though. The staffy balls look awesome so will get on of those too.

Thanks everyone for the ideas.

Sounds great leec! Lucky dogs! When you build your new enclosure look carefully at the design of your fences as once a dog has learnt to jump out it's very hard to stop them - the outside world is just too rewarding. I can't see 6ft stopping them if 5ft won't having seen some dogs scale very great heights.

I am in the process of building an 'enrichment garden' for my 2 rescue staffies. They are both 2years old and have boundless energy, but alas, one of them can jump my 5 foot gates, so for the most part they are kennelled during the day while I am at work. I'm not really happy with this, and I presume neither are they, as they rip their bedding up every day and anything else in the kennel - including the fake grass!!! :mad

We are lucky to have 20 acres so are going to fence in a new area adjacent to the house yard with 6 foot fences, fingers crossed this does the trick. We are going to put in a tunnel and cover with dirt to form a hill. I will also have a shell pool and maybe a bungee toy, I'm still not decided on this though. The staffy balls look awesome so will get on of those too.

Buy a cheap electric fence & run a hot wire around the top...they will only touch it once. If they are diggers as well, then you can run a wire around the bottom of the fence.

Buy a cheap electric fence & run a hot wire around the top...they will only touch it once. If they are diggers as well, then you can run a wire around the bottom of the fence.

Wow, didn't even think of that and as I have a horse I have heaps of hot wire :)

I have seen on FB the PVC piping that you put on wire above gates etc - the idea is that it spins and the dog can't get a purchase on it???

I like the hot tape idea better though, I already have 2 battery run units and only use one at a time, so I don't need to buy a thing.

Thanks heaps, I am getting very excited now.

Sounds great leec! Lucky dogs! When you build your new enclosure look carefully at the design of your fences as once a dog has learnt to jump out it's very hard to stop them - the outside world is just too rewarding. I can't see 6ft stopping them if 5ft won't having seen some dogs scale very great heights.

Thank you, I just want them to be happy, mentally and physically.

Yep I understand every time he gets out he is rewarded. He is funny, he has been with us since January and has only jumped out a handful of occasions and usually to follow me or my hubby. Unfortunately on Sunday he jumped/climbed out to chase the roos, fortunately they were faster than him and double fortunately he actually just stayed in the front paddock sniffing around.

I have some ideas though, see above.

And thanks.

Edited by leec

Wow, didn't even think of that and as I have a horse I have heaps of hot wire :)

I have seen on FB the PVC piping that you put on wire above gates etc - the idea is that it spins and the dog can't get a purchase on it???

I like the hot tape idea better though, I already have 2 battery run units and only use one at a time, so I don't need to buy a thing.

Thanks heaps, I am getting very excited now.

Most dogs only have to touch it once & they never forget. The fence around my BC's is only 90cm high, but a hot wire runs about 12 cm above this & they would never think of climbing out. The only fence that one has tried to get over is the swimming pool fence :mad