When Is A Good Time To Bring In The New Puppy

Preamble - please no negative comments we have been working with our vet towards this of the last 3 months - Bubba's quality of life (pain free) is paramount to us

Bubba Beauford our 6.5 yr British Bulldog has seriously deformed and degenerative patella's to the point that he is now on daily anti inflammatory + serious pain relief 2 x day. Reality is that his legs will give out with his femur simply sliding off tibia/fibia. His little legs point a full 90o out to the side. Maybe next month ...... Maybe in 3 months but unfortunately it will be within 6-8 months.

Whilst Bubba has been the child hubby and I never had, we have NO intention of him being in any pain we can't alleviate! Quality of life is most important and we have gone as far as seeing if USA companies can build special leg harnesses .... To no avail.

Our personal desire aside we have Maximus - a 6.5 yrs British Bulldog we rescued from living in a boarding kennel for the previous 3.5 yrs before we brought him home. He is unsocial and aggressive with all other dogs except for Bubba with a few psychological issues thrown in. He bonded with Bubba so much that we can't separate them. A vet visit means both go. You see Maximus has been diagnose with Separation Anxiety Syndrome and becomes literally hysterical when Bubba is taken away from him. He screams .. That is the best way to describe it.

What we are worried about now is when it comes time for Bubba to cross the Rainbow Bridge how much time do we give Maximus - will he cope being alone? Obviously our initial reaction is that we want time but Max is never more than 1mtr away from Bubba. Max is 90% deaf and blind in one eye and so dependant on Bubba.

My question is do we introduce a new puppy for Max prior, just after or wait a while?

Obviously I would only make an emotional and bias decision and would appreciate those that have experienced similar decisions.

Thanks in advance

I would consider introducing a puppy before Bubba goes. It gives Maximus time to bond with the new dog before he loses his mate.

Even with a new mate he is going to find the passing of his best mate very hard and I would follow veterinary behavioural guidance as to how best to deal with that, ie he may need some medication among other things.

As hard as it is, well done for thinking before it happens and trying to work out what is best for your situation.

I would consider introducing a puppy before Bubba goes. It gives Maximus time to bond with the new dog before he loses his mate.

Even with a new mate he is going to find the passing of his best mate very hard and I would follow veterinary behavioural guidance as to how best to deal with that, ie he may need some medication among other things.

As hard as it is, well done for thinking before it happens and trying to work out what is best for your situation.

Thanks so much for you response.... yes I did wonder if depression might be another issue we have to contend with for Max. And it's so hard to try to do this ahead of events . It' sux but these babies depend on us!

Will chat to the vet re : depression and Max on next visit

Cheers Tj

Personally I also find I cope better if I have a dog before one passes as I don't then feel like I am trying to replace on if that makes sense. I have developed a relationship which helps with my healing rather than trying to develop one when your heart is breaking.

Not sure if I got that across very well :)

Personally I also find I cope better if I have a dog before one passes as I don't then feel like I am trying to replace on if that makes sense. I have developed a relationship which helps with my healing rather than trying to develop one when your heart is breaking.

Not sure if I got that across very well :)

No I got that perfectly

It makes sense Bubba would still be supreme baby, Max next and the newbie -

Guess then the puppy has a teacher too

I wouldn't rush there is no guarantee that Max will adapt to the new dog .

Finding a suitable mate that he will have the same "safe feeling" with many not happen with any dog & the interest of the other dog is just as important .

I would be seeking advice on the right way to do this so the transition is good for all.

My question is do we introduce a new puppy for Max prior, just after or wait a while?

Obviously I would only make an emotional and bias decision and would appreciate those that have experienced similar decisions.

Thanks in advance

I would consider prior as a preferable option.

Since this is your intetnion to help Maximus, it should give you time for adjustments & for Maximus to do better when his dear Bubba crosses over.

The times we have introduced a puppy and thus had a trio, have made for some wonderful moments for the older dogs.

Your boys are so very lucky for your devotion and care.

Thank you for caring so very much.

:heart:

Do you think that a fur kid that sees his bestest buddy accepting a new puppy will encourage the fur kid to accept the new commer if the parents also are accepting? Then when Rainbow Bridge calls the newbie and parents are there for Max? The transition is easier?

Damn I wish this was easier ! But it's all about Max

Do you think that a fur kid that sees his bestest buddy accepting a new puppy will encourage the fur kid to accept the new commer if the parents also are accepting? Then when Rainbow Bridge calls the newbie and parents are there for Max? The transition is easier?

Damn I wish this was easier ! But it's all about Max

FYI Bubba Beauford is THE most social and happiest British Bulldog ever ..he just loves everyone. he would love and accept another puppy

Yes, we purposefully got a third dog because we knew time was near for the older one. Our second dog was so closely bonded to the older one we knew he'd be lost without him. We chose a rescue dog for companionship and a playmate for the younger dog and one gentle enough not to hurt or annoy the older dog. It all worked out very well, and when it was time to say goodbye to our old dog, the ones left behind were fine.

sorry that you will be having to go through this, i understand how precious your dogs are to you. Best wishes and i hope all goes well for the time you have together.

I had a Stafford that lost her son and she literally aged overnight, before my eyes. She was 13.5 and only a year older than her son. He went to his forever home when he was about 10 weeks old but due to health issues returned to me when he was about 9 months old. She didn't seem to remember him when he returned but just accepted him. They were close but not dependant on each other. She always considered herself top dog. I guess I was surprised how badly she took his loss.

About a month after we lost him we were temp caring for a 13 week old rescue SBT pup. But for some reason that temp care arrangement turned into her being my heart girl and living here forever. My old girl doted on the pup, grooming her and curling around her to sleep. They played tug and bitey face and did zoomies. She taught the pup to be a good doggy citizen. She even protected the pup when a neighbours dog tried to attack her. The pup brought her back to life and she lived for over another 3 years.

Not long after the pup came my sister moved in with me and brought her dog. A year after that a friend of hers lived here for quite a while and added a fourth dog. All the while, despite her age our old girl still considered herself both the mum of them all and top dog (much to the dislike of my heart girl though as she matured but that's another story). It made me realise she was a dog that did better as part of a pack. It could be the same for Maximus - Bubba is not only his mate but his protector in the pack and a dog he considers higher in pack status than him. The loss of that isn't so much emotional as life and death in Maximus's eyes. So while a new pup might be good perhaps a young adult would be even better, so you know you have the right personality and dominance match to maintain Maximus's confidence?

We currently have a large breed dog who is 11.5 and who is considered top dog in our current pack of three. I actually doubt our other two would be up for the job when she goes and expect we will have some challenges to face. If we decide to add a third dog again the personality of that dog is going to be very important for pack dynamics.

I have been thinking about this subject for a while, Because the younger dog is very bonded to the older one and they are both getting on a bit... :( But the big question I have wondered is adding a third dog to a 2 dog house if that's all my council allows? I can't see them letting me have a third for "canine mental health" :o

I hope what I wrote makes sense. I am pretty tired right now so sorry if it is a bit long-winded. :o

I agree with this. It's funny, I read the initial post (which is not funny, so please don't think that is what I'm saying) and I thought pretty much the exact things as OSoSwift wrote. OSo, are you using Jedi mind tricks? :laugh:

I am really sorry to read about this B&M :( It's a terribly sad situation to find yourself in and I applaud you for having the courage to ask for the help of others. It's not always easy to do, especially on a public forum where you might get someone having a bad day who decide to unleash on you.

IMHO, adding a new member to the family/pack before your beloved Bubba gets his wings is what I would do. Even if it is not a puppy, but a young adult like someone else mentioned, I think it MAY work better. My reasoning behind this is that if Bubba is top dog and is accepting of the newbie, then it would generally follow in canine behaviour that the newbie is "ok." If Maximus depends on Bubba's decision making and guidance and sees that the newbie is accepted by Bubba, then I would think that would make him less likely to become reactive or negatively aroused because Bubba has already decided FOR Maximus that he's not a threat. It also means that Bubba can "chaperone" the newbie into the way of life that Maximus would be used to. I would think the sooner you have a trio, the better. That said I wouldn't like a puppy or more boisterous dog to cause any further upsets to your injured dog so it would be a tricky process if you did go ahead with it.

Best of luck and Congratulations on being a great canine parent. :)

Hahahah I wish I could use my Jedi mind, seems to be on the blink of late :)

There are no guarentees that getting anotehr dog before Bubba has to go is 100% going to work. It will take time to consider the needs of both dogs adn yourselfs, try to match age, activity level, breed etc and hope it works. There are no guarentees and I think you also need to think about what happens if it doesn't work?? What would you do??

However you are not going to know until you do it. As long as a new dog/pup is accepted well then I think you are well ahead in helping Maximus deal with losing his best mate and possibly the most security he has had in his life thus far. I can honestly say I have always had more than one dog - apart from a few months - and I find that the dogs tend to pick up on us being upset and sad but tend to cope very well if they have a canine friend when another crosses over.

I wish you the very best in whatever you decide and hope it works out the best it can.

There are no guarentees that getting anotehr dog before Bubba has to go is 100% going to work. It will take time to consider the needs of both dogs adn yourselfs, try to match age, activity level, breed etc and hope it works. There are no guarentees and I think you also need to think about what happens if it doesn't work?? What would you do??

I wish you the very best in whatever you decide and hope it works out the best it can.

Circumstances meant we had to introduce the latest puppy Horrible Herbert after my heart dog crossed over to the Rainbow Bridge.

The old boy has shown no interest whatsoever in the puppy. He has never growled at him but also has never played. This tends to make Herbert try all manner of tricks to get a response. ( needs quick action when Herbert tries certain activities). Then they both lie together for a couple of hours & keep each other warm.

May be a one off but after we had better adjustment when there was another dog, I would prefer that in the future ( which i hope is ages away).

:(

Edited by VizslaMomma

I have been thinking about this subject for a while, Because the younger dog is very bonded to the older one and they are both getting on a bit... :( But the big question I have wondered is adding a third dog to a 2 dog house if that's all my council allows? I can't see them letting me have a third for "canine mental health" :o

Phone the council and ask to speak to Garry Causon, a kennel license is fairly easy to get and you don't need a "reason" for the extra dog.

I have also been thinking about this subject as Maddie has terrible separation anxiety as well :( As much as she bosses Stan around, bites him, he can't play with a toy as she takes it off him everytime, she adores him. They both have to go everywhere together as well as she would scream the house down, I did it once when dropping Stan at the vet and came home to hear bloody curdling screaming from up the street. Problem we also have is Maddie hates other dogs as well, it was the reason I had to stop fostering. I would love to add another greyhound to our home but I simply do not trust her and while I'm home a lot I can't be here 24/7. If dog forbid something happened to Stan her whole world will cave in she simply cannot be alone.

Rock/hard place :(

I'm sorry you are going through this and I wish you all the best.