Fear Aggression/general Aggression In A Great Dane

Hi all,

I bought an 8 month old great dane bitch today, while she is great in many ways (and yes i realise i haven't owned her a day, so she may not be showing her true colours as yet).

She has me quite worried, i was told by previous owner that she is timid with new people, and can be defensive of her property with new dogs, which i can work with.

She lived with an older basset hound before coming to me.

However on my way home today, i stopped in at my sisters house, she introduced her 4 month old german shepherd puppy, and Zeba (my dane) lunged and attacked him (biting, however not hard enough to draw blood) We introduced in a controlled environment on leads, and separated them extremely quick. It is such an extreme reaction and has me very very worried.

Im assuming she was not socialized properly and is quite worried having been rehomed.

Can anybody help with what i can do? I own an old unwell whippet and at this stage cannot risk introducing them.

Thanks in advance

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be really concerned, but the pup was on its own territory, might have been a better move to introduce them onneutral ground.

That's a huge risk. I have no advice but lots of sympathy.

If it comes down to it, don't put your whippy last. Poor old dear deserves some peace! Haha.

:( Why was the owner selling her?

Is there a trial period?

Do you know any history of the pup - was she from a breeder , or ?

I would also worry - In fact I would never have purchased a pup with that description TIMID..and DEFENSIVE . She will grow very large , and neither of these traits is easy with a large dog .

I agree that your old dog needs to come first - and a very large unknown puppy may not be the best thing.

Sorry ...my only advice would be to return the pup - but I'm not you ..and so that is just my point of view.

:( Why was the owner selling her?

Is there a trial period?

Do you know any history of the pup - was she from a breeder , or ?

I would also worry - In fact I would never have purchased a pup with that description TIMID..and DEFENSIVE . She will grow very large , and neither of these traits is easy with a large dog .

I agree that your old dog needs to come first - and a very large unknown puppy may not be the best thing.

Sorry ...my only advice would be to return the pup - but I'm not you ..and so that is just my point of view.

Thanks everyone,

Owner got a job in WA driving trucks long distance, so was re homing her.

They intend on visiting Tuesday to check on her and see how she is going, Im considering introducing my whippy tomorrow through a fence/gate.

If she is still like this i will return her, the way she reacted today just really unnerved me.

She is apparently only timid until she settles in, which i can understand, when i went to view her, she seemed like a happy well raised pup, she has good basic obedience training, was raised indoors etc

As the owner of a reactive dog ( who has never fully attacked another dog) I second what snook says - unless you have deep pockets and are willing to put up with a lot of work and stress. If you do keep her , she needs professional help soon. I wouldn't let her meet any other dogs until I'd seen a proper professional. ( not some self titled fog whisperer type). I love my reactive dog to bits but I will never, ever get a weak nerved dog again. Ever.

Reactivity doesn't cure itself and it doesn't get better just by meeting other dogs . She is only going to get bigger and more powerful- you might struggle to pull her away next time .

ETA: not meaning to have a go , but gor future reference , it isn't a good idea to introduce new dogs , people etc immediately. Dogs need time to settle down . Experienced people have always told me to give a dog a few calm days at home first (no visitors , walks etc) - they are already dealing with a new home and people.

Edited by megan_

Do you intend to have the dog with your whippet eventually, unsupervised? If this was the goal and you're not prepared to manage the dogs in a way where they lead virtually separate lives- return the dog.

It's one thing to work with a dog with such issues with no other dogs in the home. It's quite another to try to manage the situation with another dog in the home- particularly an elderly one who may not cope with the new dogs behaviour even if separated.

Yes I think I would be returning her :( I think otherwise you might be up for an extremely hard task requiring constant management and it will be made so much harder by her sheer size and strength. My dane cross puppy is very friendly and polite with dogs and will even lie down to greet and play with smaller dogs and puppies but due to her size she still gets snapped at a lot/receives aggressive reactions from other smaller dogs who are intimidated by her size alone, even if my dog is not close to them. I can only imagine how badly it would end if she ever reacted back to one of these aggressive displays and how hard it would be to stop her if she really wanted to attack.

My dog is currently reactive to people in close contact while on lead and even though her reactions are mild and more defensive than aggressive it is a lot of stress and hard work and has made an impact on what we would normally be able to do (and I have only been dealing with this for a month). Having a dog with behavioural issues is hard at any size but because my dog is so big the stakes are a lot higher and there's no room for mucking around.

I think with your older whippy it would not be fair for it, you don't want to spend it's final years busy worrying and spending all your time managing a new, reactive dog that you have to keep separated instead of enjoying the time left with your current dog. Even if your new Dane was not dog aggressive I would be hesitant to leave them alone regardless as your Dane could quite easily bowl your frail, older dog over or hurt it by accident.

I'm sorry what should have been a great, exciting day has turned out like this but I think it's good you found about this as soon as possible instead of later on once you were attached to your new addition. :(

Edited by Terri S.

Yes, do what others' have said and return her. Taking on a dog that shows behaviour like that (unprovoked aggression) is a huge and expensive amount of work, as you will need a behaviourist to assist you with rehabilitation. Even then there is no guarantee. Some Danes are born with poor temperaments, a tendency toward and anxiety and reactivity. If this is the case rehabilitating her will be even more challenging.

Even without this issue you would need to keep a Fane and an elderly whippet separate when you are not at home because of the size difference.

Unfortunately you are not the only person I know of to purchase a Dane in this way (private rehoming) and end up with a dog with serious behavioural issues. If she is a pedigree you can tell the people you got her from to contact the breeder and tell them of the situation and they may be able to assist in some way.

If you have your heart set on a Dane I would advise you to look at Great Dane rescue Victoria, and Great Dane rescue in QLD. These dogs have been temperament tested and been in foster care, and they don't rehome dogs with reactivity or aggression.

As the owner of a very reactive/noise phobic/nervous girl I can in all honesty say by what you have told us thus far, sorry but I would be returning her ASAP....

It is a mammoth task undertaking ownership of a reactive dog. It takes every once of me mentally & physically most days. I don't know a great deal about giants apart from the fact that obviously they would weigh in full grown at least 3 times the weight of my girl & when something sets her off I can barely control her on lead. She has dragged me over on a number of occasions. That is just one of many negitive aspects in this situation that would be in my opinion an undertaking best left to a professional.

Edited by BC Crazy

Now you have the answer to will she bite so if you take her on you will have to be super careful. I own a dog who will bite, he weighs 26 kg and is at the upper limit that I can manage. You will need to walk her muzzled and double leashed. You can't take her to places where dogs are allowed off leash and you will need to be vigilant when out walking that you are not approached by off leash dogs and cross the road when another dog comes along.

You will need the help and guidance of an experienced behaviorist and the support if a good vet, both for behavioural medicine and the hassle of getting such a dog in and out of appointments.

I can't say whether I would have taken on my boy if I'd known what I was in for but I wouldn't take on another such dog. It's a lonely, isolating and stressful experience whereas dog ownership should be fun. You do however adjust and if you just can't imagine life without your dog then you do what you need to. If you do take her on then please feel welcome in the reactive dog thread. Best of luck with your decision.

Well said Hankdog.

I too agree... I don't know that I would have taken Stella on either in hindsight. I know one thing for sure I will certainly be seeking out a dog without a weak nerve next time. Yes I did adapt as well BUT it is very difficult. It is life changing in every sense of the word.....

Edited by BC Crazy

How did you get on with her today?

Today she growled and lunged (intending to bite) at a small child, with absolutely no warning, she was curled up on the couch (away from all other dogs)and just lunged out of no where.

She had been great all day, my brother visited with my 4 yo niece, she was sitting on the lounge room floor, playing with a bit of paper, lucky far enough away that the dog could not reach her.

I told the old owner straight away, who tried to tell me the dog was just protecting me.

Said she would take said dog if i delivered her back (3hrs) and that she would not refund the money.

She intends on re-homing her again.

I said no, as i don't believe she is safe to rehome and since she doesn't believe how severely the dog acted, i dont think she would place her in a suitable home, I am contemplating euthanasia.

This may seem extreme to some, but i honestly do not believe this dog is safe, unless declared dangerous and is confined as such.

I honestly am stumped at what i should do

oh - I am so sorry to read this .

Euthanising this pup seems a very responsible thing to do .It would be my chosen action as well .

BUT in whose name is she microchipped ? if she is still registered in the old owner's name ... things could get tricky :(

Did you get a receipt/papers / change of ownership form or something when you paid for this pup?

:hug:

To be honest she doesn't even know if the dog is microchipped, so no its not in her name.

I was intending on going into the vet clinic to have her scanned on monday, and try to contact the breeder.

However with this change of circumstances, im stumped with what to do, knew an un microchipped dog was a bad idea (yes i know they are not meant to sell unchipped however she didnt tell me until i collected her and asked for the chip papers)

Otherwise if i cannot euth her, i may be able to leave her in the vets custody until her microchipped owners can be contacted?

Oh dear :( What a big mess. 8 mths old and the owner doesn't know if there is a chip????

I think she really needs to be checked ..by a vet ..health as well as the microchip . There may be something strange happening ...I am so sorry you were caught, but pleased that someone smart and responsible has the dog ....

Yes the ownership details could make things complicated.

I think euthanasia is a responsible course of action in this case. But as you say you might have to confirm whether there is a chip or not.

I would be just as worried as you at the thought of her being rehomed onto someone else :(

Jesus.... what a dangerous , worrying & very sad situation.

This dog is dangerous & she needs to be given her wings IMHO. I am no expert but she is going to do serious damage to someone :(

I feel so very sorry for you. This is not your fault in any way.

Hugs to you.

Please keep us posted.

Edited by BC Crazy