What Do You Say When You See A Dog Being Mistreated?

BarbedWire

I have been thinking about the topic of how you respond if someone criticizes the way you raise your dogs and I thought it might be interesting to discuss the opposite. What do you say if you see someone abusing their dog? By abuse I don't mean physically bashing it but more the abuse that comes from neglect or ignorance.

As an example the other day I was out walking and I met a girl of about thirteen with a maltese which was badly in need of a groom. Its coat was severely matted and dirty. I tried being friendly and asked if I could pat her dog. I then realised she had a speech impediment and was very difficult to understand. I then knew that it was going to be impossible to communicate so I said nothing about the dog's coat. I am sort of wishing I had. A matted coat can be quite painful.

Another example is a family who lived in the next street to me and who had a JRT. When they rode their bikes the JRT would be tied to one of the bikes. I always felt sorry for it as it raced along as fast as its little legs could carry it. Then one day when the boy of the family was about fourteen I saw him coming along with the dog and, when he speeded up to go down a short hill, the poor little dog lost its footing and got dragged. I was horrified and told him off. I never saw the dog again. I don't know if they got rid of it or just left it in the yard.

I am interested to know what you say if you see a dog you believe is being misused in some way or do you say nothing?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sometimes see things that have really upset me when I'm out with my guys. I often wonder what other folks do too actually. Do you say something??? Intervene or what??? I have spoken up on occasion only to be told to 'F' off & it is none of my business. And it probably isn't but I can't bare the thought after witnessing abuse not to speak up & a least intervene if I can.

I have seen one young couple with a SWF at our local dog beach on a coldish sort of day stand on the shore at low tide & literally throw this puppy up in the air & out into the shallows :eek: Apparently teaching her how to swim :mad :mad I sore read. I couldn't believe it ! They were a distance away from me so I yelled out to them 'what the hell are you doing' to which they answered, 'teaching fido how to swim'. I walked up & asked them why aren't they going into the water as well then & they said 'Oh no it is too cold". I say, but you expect that tiny puppy to want to go in then?' HMMM... & another thing that is not the way to treat any animal. You don't bloody throw them :mad I also showed them that it was indeed low tide & if you want to break puppies legs, just keep doing what you are doing then. I was fuming but kept my cool to get my point across. They actually ended up thanking me in the end but I wasn't after thanks just wanted them to stop mistreating this poor little pup. Shocking really some of the things you see. Amazes/horrifies me.

That poor little JR op :( I wonder what happened to him???

I usually try the friendly approach first... start chatting about their dog and how friendly it is and such, then kind of start generally talking about the condition of the coat or whatever, and what they could try to make it more comfortable for the dog...

If I see someone actually physically abusing their dog, I'm not usually quite as friendly about it...

T.

I've given food, clipped dogs and paid for vet treatment when I know it's an issue of money for the owner.

If it's a lame dog or appears to be struggling through an illness/injury I will ask the owner if they are aware that their dog appears to be in discomfort.

If it's how it is being 'trained' or 'punished' I will usually say some thing like, "Do you think that is appropriate? Have you thought to try........?"

Fortunately I haven't seen too much physical abuse, but if I follow form in terms of other physical abuse I've seen perpetuated against people...I'll probably say the first thing that falls out of my mouth and damn the consequence. :o

I sometimes see things that have really upset me when I'm out with my guys. I often wonder what other folks do too actually. Do you say something??? Intervene or what??? I have spoken up on occasion only to be told to 'F' off & it is none of my business. And it probably isn't but I can't bare the thought after witnessing abuse not to speak up & a least intervene if I can.

I have seen one young couple with a SWF at our local dog beach on a coldish sort of day stand on the shore at low tide & literally throw this puppy up in the air & out into the shallows :eek: Apparently teaching her how to swim :mad :mad I sore read. I couldn't believe it ! They were a distance away from me so I yelled out to them 'what the hell are you doing' to which they answered, 'teaching fido how to swim'. I walked up & asked them why aren't they going into the water as well then & they said 'Oh no it is too cold". I say, but you expect that tiny puppy to want to go in then?' HMMM... & another thing that is not the way to treat any animal. You don't bloody throw them :mad I also showed them that it was indeed low tide & if you want to break puppies legs, just keep doing what you are doing then. I was fuming but kept my cool to get my point across. They actually ended up thanking me in the end but I wasn't after thanks just wanted them to stop mistreating this poor little pup. Shocking really some of the things you see. Amazes/horrifies me.

That poor little JR op :( I wonder what happened to him???

You handled that well BC Crazy. The JRT was dragged for about six metres. I like to think the boy was as shocked as I was. It did appear to be unharmed afterward. Amongst other things I did say I would report it to the RSPCA. I think that possibly they might have rehomed it. I do hate seeing dogs, especially small ones tied to bikes though.

I usually try the friendly approach first... start chatting about their dog and how friendly it is and such, then kind of start generally talking about the condition of the coat or whatever, and what they could try to make it more comfortable for the dog...

If I see someone actually physically abusing their dog, I'm not usually quite as friendly about it...

T.

I wish I could be cool too, but I am a bit of a hothead where animals and children are concerned.

I've given food, clipped dogs and paid for vet treatment when I know it's an issue of money for the owner.

If it's a lame dog or appears to be struggling through an illness/injury I will ask the owner if they are aware that their dog appears to be in discomfort.

If it's how it is being 'trained' or 'punished' I will usually say some thing like, "Do you think that is appropriate? Have you thought to try........?"

Fortunately I haven't seen too much physical abuse, but if I follow form in terms of other physical abuse I've seen perpetuated against people...I'll probably say the first thing that falls out of my mouth and damn the consequence. :o

I did think of offering to pay to have the maltese clipped, but I am not really all that financial either.

Wow, I've been lucky that I've not witnessed physical abuse by strangers as bad as some of you have. I like to think that I would say something though.

There was one time I was driving home and I saw this chihuahua just trotting along by itself by the road, with a really bad limp, and it looked like it was struggling. I hopped out of my car and looked up and down the road for an owner - I saw a lady walking like literally 100 - 200 meters waaayyy up the road in front of the chihuahua and I yelled out as loud as I could "Excuse me!" She stopped and turned and I yelled again, "Is this your dog??" She called back, "Yes." I walked up closer to her and called out, "Do you realize it's limping?" She replied, "Yes, she's just had surgery."

I really didn't know what to say.... so many things. I was gobsmacked and stunned speechless for a second. Why is it off lead beside a busy road while you're ten thousand miles ahead and obviously not even looking out for it and it is struggling to catch up to you? Why is it even out exercising if it's "just had surgery"? :confused: Before I could ask further she told me to mind my own business and kept walking.

Given that people who abuse or neglect their dogs, are likely (from experience) to abuse or threaten me if I say anything... these days I resort to sneaky...

If I can, I admire the dog and get identifying information off it (or their car plate) and report to people whose business it is to make sure that dogs are looked after.

If it's a friend - I will say something quite direct like - sheesh long claws, I get my dog's claws trimmed so she can walk properly... or fat dog, sigh.

If someone is using a lot of aversives in their training and it's not working, I will explain why I don't train my dog that way and about dogs back chaining naughty for attention (the aversive)... There's not a lot of point telling them they're wrong. But I do try to get them thinking for themselves about better ways. Sometimes it takes a while for them to get it but I'm ever hopeful. When it comes to training - I'm not super confident because my dog is not always so obedient - mostly because she's better at training me than I am at training her.

Another instance I can think of is being at the dog park and a guy had a westie that was filthy and matted. I told him with a smile that his dog needed a bath. He replied that you don't wash dogs. That's sissy. How do they survive in nature? :mad

I don't go to dog parks anymore because I can't stand moronic owners. And I suppose that poor little westie is still ungroomed. :(

Yesterday I witnessed somebody Alpha roll a dog for the first time. I was talking to our friend at the park and there was a couple with 3 dogs there as well. Didi was playing with their youngest dog and another one of their dogs kept trying to join in and getting agitated so they called the other dog over and started using my friend's tug toy. My friend's Berner likes playing tug with other dogs and went to join in and the other dog growled at it and its owner yelled its name and yelled NO BAD BAHHH BAHHH whilst pinning it to the ground and also whacked it over the nose. The whole time it was being pinned to the ground she was yelling at it. I was a bit :eek: but seeing how confident she looked about doing it I didn't say anything because I was really not in the mood and I couldn't gather my thoughts well enough to tell them why what they were doing was so wrong and not going to stop resource guarding. I found out after they left that the dog she'd pinned to the ground wasn't even hers! It was a friend's and they were babysitting.

I also found out after they left that the young dog Didi had been playing with was fresh out of the pound, they'd only had it two days and had brought it down to 'see what it was like with dogs'... luckily for them it was only a little boisterous and rude rather than dangerous but sheesh reminded me why I don't like mixing with people and dogs I don't know at the park.

its owner yelled its name and yelled NO BAD BAHHH BAHHH whilst pinning it to the ground and also whacked it over the nose

Guess who's had Bark Busters in... *sigh*

The last time I saw someone alpha roll their dog, I asked them if they'd like to try it on my Rotti/Pittie girl - with the warning that she'd tear them a new one if they tried it... they declined the offer, and stopped doing it to their own dog while I was there at least.

T.

its owner yelled its name and yelled NO BAD BAHHH BAHHH whilst pinning it to the ground and also whacked it over the nose

The last time I saw someone alpha roll their dog, I asked them if they'd like to try it on my Rotti/Pittie girl - with the warning that she'd tear them a new one if they tried it... they declined the offer, and stopped doing it to their own dog while I was there at least.

T.

I thought Cesar Milan did the alpha roll and it's barkbusters that chuck chains around and say bah. :)

T.

I was so surprised I did not know what to say. In my area everyone is very into positive reinforcement/in general not being a dick to their dog and I just couldn't fathom their thinking. They're pretty lucky the dog didn't turn around and bite them since it was already in a state, wouldn't have taken much to redirect it's aggression. I hope I never bump into them again, I didn't like them or their dogs or the way they interact with other people's dogs.

Bark Busters actually have some sort of copyright on the "bah" thing... looks like they've been involved at some point if the owners are using it on their dog. As for the alpha roll - they probably think Cesar Milan is some sort of dog training god too... *sigh*

I alpha rolled one of my Rotti boys once - he was being a complete dick and wouldn't back down. I only ever did it once, and only for a second or two so he got the point that I was actually bigger and stronger than him and could take care of myself. He was young and obnoxious and pushing all limits - but he only needed to be shown once who was the boss... and it was in my own back yard, not out in a public place.

T.

I have a book here (Train your dog the easy way) by Danny and Sylvia Wilson who are the founders of Bark Busters

I quote from page 10:

Although food is sometimes used as a basis for training, we believe that training a dog in this way will not make for success, because your method will not be meeting the dog's need for a pack leader.

Then further down the page:

You can successfully use food to help in training when you are teaching new tricks.

The idea of a pack leader was so in vogue at one time, and Cesar Milan has popularised it even further. I remember about 20 years ago being given information from my local dog training club about making sure you're the pack leader by going first through doors and eating first and making your dog wait. Today the same club is all about rewards based training. Personally I think alpha rolls are scary stuff and I wouldn't be game to try it especially if I had a big dog who was agitated.

Edited to change an error. The author's name was Wilson not Weston.

Edited by sarsaparilla

A friend saw a cattle dog pup being scruffed and belted by a bloke in town. He just pulled a $50 note from his pocket and offered to buy the dog. My friend jumped in his car with pup under his arm very quickly in case the guy changed his mind.

I've never seen an alpha roll but I reckon if you did it to the wrong dog you'd be in trouble. I'm pretty game with most dogs but I wouldn't have been putting myself in close physical contact with the biting end of Jake when I first got him.

I have a friend with an unpredictable dog who every now and then bites people. Since he bit the owner he is banished to outside and gets little attention. He has to be sedated to be clipped every now and then, no grooming in between. They know about training because I talk about my experiences with them in the hope it will rub off. No joy, I'm finding it hard to be friends with them.

I know of a situation where the neighbours often feed, wash, flea, water and walk the dog next door. It escapes regularly and once was returned fully groomed (by a complete stranger).

The neighbours also successfully stepped in and rehomed an animal who had been found and kept by the same family. In this case, they had good intentions but just couldnt care for the animal in question.

It's different with the dog, it's just downright lazy, disgusting apathy - they just don't give 2 flying figs about the poor thing. The neighbours who keep an eye on the dog in question have stepped in at times - telling the "adults" of the family to pull their socks up. They also leave instructions for house sitters to keep an eye out the dog - it's name, that it's OK to pick it up if you see it on the street, that the dog is allowed in the back yard if they find it.

So terribly sad.

@hankdogs

It would be tempting to print this page out and give it to them

https://positively.com/articles/fatal-dog-bites-share-common-factors/

Abandoning a dog to the back yard can only make the bite risk more likely and more likely to be severe. If they're not going to do the right thing for this dog, maybe it would be better for all concerned including the dog for it to be PTS. I would have said "rehomed" but it would need a special successful dog rehab trainer's home if it has already been biting people.

I have a friend whose husband is keeping a border collie fat, under exericised (mentally and physically) and not cleaning up the dog turds - so the bbq area and yard is covered in dog turds... and I'm finding it hard to be friends with them.