Barn Hunt

denali

• 2 months later...

I never saw this, but if you go here https://www.facebook.com/groups/199642780095392/?fref=ts they do it all.

Australians have lumped it all under Earth Dog. The difference here is that we don't really have barns like they do overseas so they concentrate more on the outside things. There are people that have access to barns though so are training their dogs specifically for it.

Edited by shapeshifter

Amber our Lakeland competes in Earthdog events. First lakie titled in it too!

Its very much a developing sport here in Aus :) lots of fun and a great day out. Happy to answer any questions

Are they only ANKC run?

If so, my breed isn't able to compete :(

he following breeds are classified as eligible to participate in ANKC earthdog tests: Dachshunds, Australian Terriers, Australian Silky Terriers, Bedlington Terriers, Border Terriers, Cairn Terriers, Dandie Dinmont Terriers, Fox Terriers (Smooth and Wirehaired), German Hunt Terriers, Glen of Imaal Terriers, Jack Russell Terriers, Lakeland Terriers,

Manchester Terriers, Miniature Pinschers, Norfolk Terriers, Norwich Terriers, Parson Russell Terriers, Scottish Terriers, Sealyham Terriers, Skye Terriers, Tenterfield Terrier, Welsh Terriers and West Highland White Terriers.

ETA: congrats amber! Very cool to be the first :thumbsup:

Edited by denali

Hi - Barn Hunt and Earthdog are two different sports!

We do (ANKC) Earthdog here in Oz - in Victoria, NSW, SA and Qld, but there are no set-ups in the other states/territories as yet. It has been going for around 18/19 years here in NSW, we do it at the Dogs NSW complex at Orchard Hills where we have a paddock set up with trenches etc. down the back of the complex, and the sport runs through the winter months from approx May - September each year. It's one of the few sports where there is a designated list of ANKC breeds which are eligible, plus AR dogs "of earthdog type" who have to pass an Introductory Test before they can go on to Novice/Senior Master. We are not allowed to use live quarry as they do in the USA (their quarry is usually tame rats which are in specially built cages which then go in the dens behind another set of bars).

Barn Hunt looks as if it is a pretty popular, growing, sport in the US. It is "owned" by one person as a company, and she is pretty protective of her rules and ideas. It hasn't been done here at all yet. If we were to start doing it, or something like it, over here we would have to call it something different, devise our own rules and regulations, and again, would not be allowed to use live rats like they do over there (they put the rats in poly pipes with air holes and then hide them in the hay bales). How the dogs would react to searching through hay bales for whatever we could come up with as "quarry" is a guess.....probably just like in Earthdog, some are happy to do it whatever they're chasing, others just turn up their noses when they realise it's not alive!

That's not to say we haven't thought about how it could be done! One idea would be to do it in a fenced off area outside with hay bales piled up (if no-one has a barn we could use) - I'm sure lots of our terriers/ratting dogs would adore it and have a whole heap of fun, I know my Borders would!

Julia (Dogs NSW Earthdog Working Party Sec)

Edited by toshman