Horses At The Dog Park/beach?

Steph M

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dogs are expected to be fluffy stuffed toys these days - most people it doesn't even occur to them that a dog may chase or attack a horse and are horrified at the thought of such a 'dangerous' dog being at the dog park.

People don't understand that dogs are predators.

Our legislation reflects this. In NSW if one of the dogs chased a horse at the dog park and the owner reported it your dog could be declared menacing or dangerous.

I agree with you that it's madness to ride horses (prey animal) in a dog park.

There is no such thing as a dog park in Victoria. They are all access public places where dogs are allowed off leash . People are allowed to play ball games or even it a picnic there. That said , I wouldn't ride my horse there.

Lots of valid points. I wasn't debating their right to be there, more why you'd want to? Its a long beach, but this particular strip is the dedicated doggie section, there's always upwards of 20 dogs there on a weekend, more in peak summer. Its also a cycle path and a playground over the other side, in the on lead area.

It just struck me as strange as I'd never seen it before and its such a densely populated bit of park, with bikes, kite surfers, dogs and people.

Like I said, I wasn't worried about my own (though Rosie is questionable and flighty, and I know either would certainly come off second best) but they wouldn't know that, and there is a lot of dogs about, it seems an odd decision and was wondering what everyone else thought! For me I'd have assumed the risk to be too high, especially given as they had floated the horses in to that specific spot and that end of the beach.

Meeting a horse is a wonderful opportunity for some dog training. I remember once competing in an obedience trial at a country show and doing the off lead heeling exercise when a horse came in the gate outside the trial ring. My dog had never seen a horse before and she stopped dead in her tracks and looked in amazement at the alien outside the ring leaving me to complete the heeling pattern all by myself. :laugh:

We failed of course. If only I had been able to get her used to horses before.

Dogs competing at agricultural shows need to be horse proof.

As for suggesting that horse riders pick up their horse's pooh. It would be so totally impractical it's funny.

Our beach trips normally coincide with the race horses being swum and we respect each other's space. I can see when they arrive and so move away from the entrance they use to let them get to the water. My dog also knows he does not run up to them - he watches but stays put.

We only have had once incident - they had their stable dog with them and he came running over to us and they started playing - the riders called the dog back and so of course mine chased thinking it was the game. Thank Christ for good recall!

I had a horse with about 20 stitches from a dog bite. Large dog grabbed it just above the hock and hung on tearing lose quite a bit of skin. There's so little space available to horses and riding on the beach is such a treat that I would happily share with a horse. Common sense on both sides could make it safe.

Edited by hankdog

Unfortunately the problem with suburbia is it mostly hangs around the coast. I have friends in Perth that regularly take their horses along with their dogs to the beach and even though they live in a rural area they have the get through the burbs to get to the beach.

Also horse beaches tend to coincide with dog beaches

Every dog beach here is a horse beach also it never occurred to me that it was different elsewhere :laugh:

only time we had an issue was when the pony club turned up and the parents made camp right at the entrance we had to get up close and personal to get on and off the beach.

This reminded me of an incident when my Gordon Setter and I were driving to Tennant Creek some years ago. We were having a lovely stroll through the bush and came across a herd of horses. Stopped to admire them until the big grey stallion took exception. Very hasty retreat to the car lol. Have a great photo of him circling the car on his toes, tail flying. (Taken through the car window lol>)

we have mounted police in the Adelaide CBD and Wilbur and i run into them on our walks now and again; i sit stay him and the Police like that and thank me as they pass. Even though I don't normally come across horses in the CBD or suburbia, i'm happy to make sure my boy is well behaved around them. Even if i were in a off-lead beach and we came across people with horses i'd make sure he was on-lead and in a sit stay. I don't want my dog to spook their horses and or be a nuisance. I am of the opinion that they too are just wanting to enjoy their horses like i want to enjoy my dog and I am happy to be considerate to their needs/wants in shared public spaces.

We used to exercise racehorses at Altona beach during the warmer months. A few dog owners got a serve for not having effective control but most were pretty good, or their owners leashed them. Some people think they own the leash free areas and had a go at us for having horses there, but they were educated pretty smartly!

One summer I saw a Shetland pony at the same beach, having a swim. Most of the dogs treated it like any other dog! Maybe size does matter?

I frequent a beach which is used for working racehorses, as well as a local trail riding company and leisure riders. I always call my dogs in to my feet and put them all in a drop when the horses are getting close, and make them stay there until the horses are well clear. Very rare that I don't get a thank you :)

We even helped a rider whose horse decided to play up (just back in work and too much spring grass) when he sighted the dogs at a distance. The rider lunged him closer and closer to where we were still playing (her request) and finally he decided to behave. He let out some pretty spectacular action whenever his circle and the dogs paths were close.. Glad I didn't have to put my butt in that saddle ;)

I used to ride down a country road that had a caravan park that allowed dogs. A cattle dog used to run out at us and I got annoyed but when I growled it went back where it came from. On day I didn't swap to the other side of the road - I was day dreaming - and heard a moron sicing his dog onto my horse. Imagine his suprise when we swung around and took off after the dog and went inches from where he was standing behind the tree egging his dog on.

I could see the top of his head and knew exactly where he was. He was spoken to quite harshly and the dog never chased a horse again, it stood well back from then on and got told good boy. Pity the owner was a total moron!

I have seen the bottom of a rump and down to a hock torn open from a dog attack at the beach and a reasonably badly hurt rider who hit the ground very hard.

To a point I would stay away if I could but if that was the only place I was allowed to go, I would goa nd expect dogs to be under control.

One of the riders at the beach once said she loved my dog and could she pat him - I told her I felt the same about her horse! She reassured me that the horse was very comfortable with dogs. So we ended up with a Dane and a horse nose to nose sniffing each other quite happily.

Then my doofus boy backed up and went to drop into a play bow...(which I stopped).

Since this time - while he watches the horses, he no longer had the interest in going to see what they were close up.

Off topic but I just wanted to say, riding a horse in the water, or galloping along a beach are some of the funnest things to do in the world. I'll probably never get to do either again in this lifetime, but I'm glad I've experienced them.

And even better when it's your own horse.

Edited by Kirislin

Off topic but I just wanted to say, riding a horse in the water, or galloping along a beach are some of the funnest things to do in the world. I'll probably never get to do either again in this lifetime, but I'm glad I've experienced them.

Yes, yes, yes!!!! Some of the best memories of my life for sure :)

Totally agree. Always enjoyed swimming the horses. And so did they! :)