What Price Would You Deem Reasonable For

OSoSwift

We use to do it cheaper then came the reality that that one day still requires the same work ,bed changed & cleaning,even if there for the day they still get human time like all the others.

We don't do it during school holidays though .

Any day care dogs are allocated a kennel to ensure there safety & also to cover the weather mwe don't take day care dogs & leave them outside in the runs only ,we treat the day care dogs like the boarders with the same comfort & care for he day

I would not expect any difference in the price depending on size of dog as the area being used is the same, the clean up etc. would be the same and the organisation would be the same from you.

I think a sliding scale on more than one dog from the same family would be good and I would think that the rate would need to be a bit higher than overnight boarding on the basis of your time and effort/expense in a daily change over.

From memory I have paid around $20 for a day stay. I think that was with food. It has been a couple of years since I have done it. A very handy service when bitches are in season. I would drop my boy off while I was at work for 'peace of mind' and to give him a break/chance to eat rather than think of other things! Biggest thing I needed was to be able to pick up after work and get feedback on what/if he had eaten. I would pay a bigger fee for that convenience.

The day boarding yards have shelter and can be used in all weather. The aim is to have very large kennels made from cool room paneling. They have shelter from large trees - although we have had to prune some as they were too big - and also from shade cloth. They are not located in my main boarding area. My main boarding area is a large shed that is fully insulated and also lined with coolroom panelling to provide insulation against extremes of temperature. There are also runs attached to the shed so they have inside and outside connected areas.

Whilst the day yards will have good kennels and shade and misting systems they are not in the main part.

I have grass exercise yards and am building two more large areas with enrichment to take dogs out to have a good play one on one and have some hoone around time.

Feedback is always provided :)

Thank you again for all feedback :)

Edited by OSoSwift

I pay $35 for a full day of daycare. So would Expect day boarding to be around $20-25 as there is less work involved.

Happy to pay a bit more if there was a walk (30 min) and some interaction involved.

Why do people presume less work seriously many boarding kennels do a better job at daycare than the mega bucks people pay

I think the place I used for long stay boarding was $25 per day, whether the dog stayed overnight or just day care.

The problem with that place was the drop off and pick up times - you had a one hour window in the morning and another one hour window in the evening and it was about one hour to one and a half hours to drive there - depending on rush hour traffic - which I had to negotiate every time. Ie the drop off windows overlapped rush hour so no avoiding it.

Argh.

No staying a full day at work either if you worked 9 - 5 in the city.

The other place - which also had rotten drop off and pick up times - tho just not early enough or late enough for doing a full day's work... or picking up if you got back to town on a late flight / drive.. was the RSPCA boarding at Lonsdale - they did day boarding - also about $25...

For the long stay boarding - I provided all the treats and food my dog needed for the stay. Really didn't want her on supercoat if it could be avoided. I also provided a measuring mug with the daily measure written on it... so she was the same weight when I picked her up as when I dropped her off.

Hope that helps.

I think the main thing with day boarding - is to be available for early drop off and late pick up so that people can work during the day to pay for it. Or if they have a big holiday planned they can drop off the same day they leave and pick up the same day they get back. Drop off windows between 9am and 4pm don't work.

I don't feed supercoat :)

I also often find that dogs, even if fed the same diet as they have a home, will lose or increase in weight, so while you need a guideline you also need to use your nouce. I had one dog had I fed him what the recommended he would have been emaciated. As it was he went home lighter than he came which I wasn't happy with. Luckily I had been in regular contact with them keeping them up to date with what I was doing so they understood why he was lighter.

If you need to leave at 8am and my opening times are 8.30 to 10am, then drop off the evening before. If you cannot get to either opening time of course arrangements can be made.

My drop off times are 8.30 to 10am and 4 to 5.30 pm. I stay after 5.30 pm so if someone needs to pick up a dog later It doesn't worry me too much. Prior to 4 is harder and prior to 8.30am is harder as I have children that I have to get ready to catch the school bus and also to pick them up. Also my flexability outside my opening hours is dependant on situation (emergencies happen) and the persons attitude.

People need to understand this business is at our home and we have families and lives and are not available 24hours a day for drop off's and pick ups - no I am not going to babysit your dog for 3 hours with a pick up at 10.30pm, yes I do need to go food shopping sometimes and very occasionally I have a doctors or dentists appointment.

I do understand that dogs are people's babies but if we allowed all people just to drop off at a times that suited them we would never be able to leave. Plus you get dog breeds that are prone to bloat and you need to be able to feed when they are not going to get razzed up. Mine will all be quietly doing their thing, a car turns up and they all go off. I want to know that my gate shuts at x time - unless by prior arrangment - then I can feed everyone with less risk of issues.

I do try to work with people but you do have to draw a sometimes firm line or people would be coming and going 24hours a day.

I use an inner city daycare for the westies - they are open 7am to 6.20 pm (ish) and offer half days as well. They offer a range of rates and the casual rate is $46 for a full day. It might seem expensive but it's very convenient (and that means the world to me) and the time and fuel to get to an outer suburbs boarding place would negate any savings in my case. Hope that helps. smile.gif

I used to drop one of my dogs off for day boarding at a kennel close to my work once a week so I didn't have to go home and get her before agility training (40km there and back). The charge was 2/3 of the usual rate. Which I thought was fair as she was taking up a kennel space but wasn't being fed or exercised.

I would expect the same price for day boarding as overnight.

Kinda off topic... One thing that the boarding kennel I use does is close on Sundays (ie. no pick-up or drop off on Sundays). Whilst I understand that the owners need to have time off, it would be much better for customers if they had Mondays off. Because when people are going away, they often leave on Friday afternoon or Saturday morning, and return on a Sunday - going back to work on Monday. Because of the Sunday closing, I have to either go to work late or leave early on my first day back at work, in order to go and pick up the dogs.

I realise it would be difficult if you had kids, and getting staff in to cover on a Sunday is super expensive... So I don't know what the solution is.... but in a perfect world, picking up on Sunday would be so much better...

• 3 months later...

Where i board my boy i pay $15 per day. This includes all food(super premium dry biscuits), exercise/ play area a couple of times a day (with dogs suited to each other or individually)

i know they are very loved & looked after in their care.

When i first found out the price i was shocked at how cheap it was.. The boarder told me she didnt want to have seperate prices for small, medium & large dogs so she just worked out the average price charged by other boarders in our area & thats what she charges!

We have a Male Rhodesian Ridgeback so we are extremely happy with $15. He also loves going there :)

OSS, the service you're offering sounds like it would meet a real need. I would use it for the border collie we owned way back. I'd know with your experiece , he'd be safe.

But it wouldn't fit our tibbies who are close, in-home companion dogs. They go to kennels where there's a special small dogs section & play area, with a great deal of attention from staff. You're right about costs...that kennels charges high fees for such an intensive service.

So when it's just a matter of a day or two, our neighbours who own the same breed looks after them, in home...& we look after theirs, when they need it.

Edited by mita

This is an old one brought up to the top again :)

I do have my boarding kennels, this is for day boarding, so set up a little differently to my long term boarding. I have many small and you breeds with no issues what so ever.

i use 2 for this service.

1 place charges me $20 a day the dogs get put out in a run with other dogs they know for a couple of hours play time and then thats it, no food.

another one i go to charges me $80.00 per day but they do everything with the dogs, training, playing, treats.