Ivory Coat - Does Anyone Feed It?

Dave-o

As the owner of Ivory Coat Companion Goods, I’d like to clarify the position of Ivory Coat, given the inference by Essential Dog that our products may not be substantially Australian, given this thread is about Ivory Coat.

Steven

Welcome to the forum.

For starters, I am impressed with your products. I am beyond thrilled with your committment to the Australian Rural industry. More manufacturers should attempt to do the sterling work you do.

I am not convinced that there was a direct hit being made about your company. My feeling the coincindence is that a post got made about the specifics of using the Made in Australia logo. It was then explained by the poster in Post 37 that they found out this information in connection with other matters. Poster expressed their experiences. More explanations were then given.

We know that words are misleading , that people can be misunderstood. I certainly never perceived comments being detrimental to your company.

In 2014, a company having the ability to 'be' proud to use the Made In Australia logo, is one that would have undertaken all the needed groundwork to ensure their products make the cut.

Yours do.

As such that is commendable. Good Luck with all your sales.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome Ivory Coat and thank you for your transparency, particularly about the vitamins being imported - many Aussie made products have to do this but not all of them are open about it.

I did think it odd that a competitor of Ivory Coat grooming products (we don't stock either grooming brand by the way) raised the Australian made logo on a thread about Ivory Coat. Intentional or not, it has allowed some good information to be provided and that is a positive.

Sags

:)

To say that I’m trying to discredit a competitor is a bit of a stretch for the following reasons:

1. I do not have a line of dry dog food.

2. I’ve been running a small boutique online business of dog shampoos for nearly 4 years and can hardly warrant as a competitor for a mainstream brand stocked in Pet Barn.

3. The topic of this discussion is not just about Ivory Coats new line of dog food, as it steered to the topic about reliability of product reviews, then what the Australian Made logo meant.

4. My questioning of the 'Australian Made' logo vs ‘Product of Australia’ logo and what each one represents refers to thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of products on the market and not just Ivory Coat. If I meant to harm any business by my comments then this should also include Dick Smith, Ugg Boots and the other thousands of businesses who bear the logo.

I have noticed in this forum emotions can run high as we are talking about things related to our dogs. Some comments and opinions are met with defensive responses due to misinterpretation. Although this is a common phenomena when reading text, before jumping the gun and assuming one’s intention is negative, perhaps pause before your comment and allow the possibility that what is being said is different.

Edited by essentialdog

As the owner of Ivory Coat Companion Goods, I’d like to clarify the position of Ivory Coat, given the inference by Essential Dog that our products may not be substantially Australian, given this thread is about Ivory Coat.

Ivory Coat Grooming Products are Australian made, we have a facility here in Australia where they are made from scratch using ingredients sourced in Australia, we even ensure that our bottles are formed and our labels are printed in Victoria, Australia.

Our nutritional products are also made in our Australian facility from scratch. All our meats and vegetables are sourced from Victorian and New South Wales, the only imported ingredient to our products is our vitamin supplements of which make up an extremely small percentage, and only due to them not readily being available in Australia.

Further to this we have an assistance program in place to further assist Australian farmers, for which a fixed donation is made back to Aussie Helpers an exceptional charity that we have chosen to partner with.

The Australian Made logo or not, we stand by our Australian products as the best in the marketplace.

I can’t address all the miss-information on these blogs about our food products, for this we simply ask the consumers to compare our ingredients to the food they are currently feeding, we know that the educated consumer will see the benefits and can make an informed choice for their own companion.

Regards

Steven

I just found Ivory Coat foods Reduced Fat Grainfree natural, I was so happy until I read the ingredients POTATOS, Peas & Pea fiber, I'd rather a grain kibble with rice, oats, quinoa any kibbles with Potatoes are sooooooooooo hard even hard to digest..... I always do my kibble test when I get either a sample or buy a new kibble, I put a couple of kibbles in water, a good kibble floats to the top of the water, (Meals for Mutts kibbles sank No good) after 60 sec soaking I put 1 kibble inbetween 2 teaspoons & lightly crush, a good kibble like "Wellness Simple Lamb & Oatmeal" crushes nicely (ashame about the peas) a kibble with potatos flings off the spoon, it soooo hard, we need a new kibble in Australia, with Limited ingredients, easily digestable low in fat, no potatoes & no peas like in America there's certain kibbles like orijen that are potaoes free kibbles, they have pumkin, apples etc...whats with the potatoes they must be cheap.... peas they take out the corn & put in peas to up the protein % Peas give some dogs real bad wind.....If just ashame we dont have more variety kibbles here in Australia, if your dog has health problems (pancreatitis, IBD, Skin problems) they have to go on the vet diets that have awful ingredients & are 59% carbs.... also potatoes are a high carb, no good for skin problem dogs.....

Can I ask out of genuine curiosity what sinking/floating kibble has to do with how good it is?

Same with the crushing?

I'm interested too..!

Sueang - This food is actually very low in carbs and high in meat protein. Peas don't contribute a significant amount of protein in this case.

Can I ask out of genuine curiosity what sinking/floating kibble has to do with how good it is?

Same with the crushing?

I'm interested too..!

Sueang - This food is actually very low in carbs and high in meat protein. Peas don't contribute a significant amount of protein in this case.

Same with the crushing?

I too would like to know the scientific reasons for all that too :)

The only thing I can think of is to test how easily it digests, but I'd love to know more

I think the best test is not only a dogs taste test, but the 'poop' test. I bought a bag of the Turkey & Duck food by Ivory, the pupps loved it... had hard small regular stools also. Its been over a week now, will keep on it potatoes or not, would rather have a potato than a high proportion of cereals, or worse yet cheap meat byproducts.

Was on BH and thank goodness the passing of wind has stopped now too.

I looked at the reduced Fat Ivory Coat & peas are the 3rd ingredients,would have been better if peas were 6-7th ingredient not the 3rd...Peas being 3rd ingredient in the Reduced fat does contribute to the protein % ...I admit Ivory Coat looks like a good kibble but Id rather a kibble without potatos with a dog with stomach problems, I like my dogs kibble to digest easy not sit in his stomach,

... why not make one of their kibbles with a few different ingredients & leave out the potatos, like other brands do, they have some flavours with potatoes that are grainfree then some flavours without the potato chicken fat just to cover dogs that may suffer with skin allergies or be allergic to chicken etc

..also if you want to rotate you dogs kibbles he's getting different ingredients not just potatos day in & day out...

My vet told me about soaking kibbles & see if they absorb water quickly or still stay real hard, a good premium kibble should become soft when left in water for only 1-3 mins the water penetrate right thru the kibble & not be dry & grainy on the inside when crushed, you think about it when your dogs just eats kibble with no wet foods mixed in, the kibble would just sit in their stomachs being hard to digest...

harder kibbles caused discomfort with my boy I found after eating hard kibbles he would start whinging couldnt get comfortable when trying to go to sleep then would spew up the kibbles about 6-8 hours later all un digeted .if my boy could stomach raw i'd be feeding raw like a dogs Gi track was made to eat not over processed dry hard kibble...

When Ive tested a few kibbles & my dog has eaten them & agrees Holistic Select has been the best for kibbles that are easily digestable & what they state on their bag is true, unique digestive health support & Wellness Simple Lamb & Oatmeal both made by Wellpet, real easy digestable kibbles.also Canidae was easy to digest their limited grain kibbles

but they have changed a few ingredients in their grainfree formulas having only 8 ingredients for dogs that may have developed food sensitivities..

I think by this logic if we soaked raw steak and vegetables for 3 minutes and if they didn't dissolve or soften, we shouldn't feed them?

If we were to look at the the best food made by Wellness being Wellness CORE, the first 2 ingredients behind the meat proteins are... Peas, Potatoes.. same as Ivory Coat, and the first ingredient after the meat protein in the Holistic Select food is Potatoe. Even Canidae use potatoes.

So if the good manufacturers are using Potatoes, and Potatoes are a good source of complex carbohydrates, and have vitamins and minerals, unlike most grains and are actually also considered an easily digestible food.

Why are we so against the poor potatoe?

sueang - if your boy has difficulty digesting either kibble or raw- why not cook him a lovely mix of foods ? You obviously do research , so would know then exactly what he is getting - everything he can digest and do well on .

have you tried ? It's not too difficult working out thet dogs need protein , bone, fat , some carb , a little veg matter , plus various vitamins/minerals/enzymes/probiotics

A dry food's ability to soak depends on if it has oil sprayed over it to make it looke more appertising. The dry looking dry foods don't look as appertising as the ones that have a light coating of oil. They ones with oil do not soak as well in water but do fine in a stomach where there is stomach acid to digest the food.