The Solar Snake Repeller Scam (ripoff)

snake catcher

Please people,

If you have been talked into buying these things and you have them in your yard, be aware they are not to be relied on.

3 dogs on the Mornington peninsula this year have been bitten as a result of the false sense of security they give.

The dogs were all bitten in yards where the SPRs were installed and operating.

post-32212-0-14238800-1414902740_thumb.jpg

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I wish more people knew how 'useless' these things were.

I have a friend who bought them, after the first time her dog was bitten (he was bitten on 3 separate occasions in 2 summers (near Canberra)). Twice after the repellers were installed.

She now has guinea fowl and doesn't have snakes in the yard where the dogs are but they still come to the front yard (where the guineas don't go).

We have 3 pet snakes here at home and the our pooch has been taught to leave them. Hopefully that will work if he ever finds one out and about.

Hazywal

I think the snakes would be anywhere there's food and habitat.

So I've seen a couple in Cranbourne and in their botanic gardens (which also had a bandicoot)...

I used to "live with" snakes in Canberra - they were in the horse feed shed - or one really large brown snake was. every now and again he'd sunbake out the front of it. And we'd just chuck the feed buckets ahead of us and wear long boots to encourage him to go back down his hole under some pallets - which he did.

And despite having two terrier mix and a cattle dog and several other visiting dogs who were very interested - no accidents. I think the snake was extremely well fed in there.

Thank you, I probably would have fallen for this! I am so so terrified of snakes, I actually stepped on a RBB on a school trip and my memory is of it chasing me after... It might have been trying to get away and I was in its way, but I'm scarred for life, haha

My amstaff was killed by a metre long brown snake here in the burbs, Central coast NSW.

Is there anything you can do to minimize the attractiveness of your yard to snakes? We currently have a rabbit infestation that the council refuses to address (or let the street address) and I'm worried that this makes my yard good hunting ground.

Ernie, the resident labrador goofball has not much sense. My old kelpie seemed to instinctively give snakes a wide berth but the amstaff obviously took them on. I'm terrified Ernie will think it's a big wiggle stick.

How can I snake proof my yard?

Oh and yeah, the kiddos. I've got two teen girls who are experts on everything so don't need my advice. I'm worried about them too. :D

Really all you can do is make your yard unattractive to snakes or totally barricade them out.

Keep grass short, make sure that your bushes have stems and are not bushy at ground level, keep yard clear of piles of leaves, sticks, wood etc. that might give a snake a hiding place. Try to keep dogs' water up off the ground - and be aware that in hot weather snakes may seek out the clamshell pool or fish pond as well.

Snakes will come after eggs, mice, frogs, skinks etc. so you need to take extra care if you have poultry or aviary birds that may attract rodents looking for their scattered feed etc.

You can physically keep snakes out of your house yard by ensuring that all gates and fences there are snake proof AND kept closed - but snake proofing a gate is not always an easy task. Don't forget they can climb and slide through the smallest gaps - you may have the perfect fences and gates and they enter the yard by travelling under the house...frown.gif

I asked a snake catcher about the natural oil concoction I saw on Facebook too, hate spreading misinformation. Load of bs it is along with the repellers.

Getting a new dog yard built so shall be interested in ideas.

Know of the 5mm rodent mesh that can help keep snakes out [but some can easily slither up fencing and things]. I am paranoid about snakes and the dogs during snake season. Snakes themselves don't bother me so much [but the dogs are different and have nfi when it comes to them, they're just play!].

There are some ideas on snake-proofing your yard (with pics) here at this fencing company's site. Using their products of course, but the general idea is pretty much the same no matter what products you buy.

Guinea fowl will sometimes mob a snake, and will always create a hullaballoo when they spot one, but that just tends to attract the dogs to see what they are on about - and sometimes they will mob your chooks or small pets as well, so they are not suited for everyone LOL.

I'm waiting for trained kookaburras to come on the market for snake patrol! laugh.gif

I fell for it - spent 3000 on snake repellers and last year had a dozen or more snakes here - a couple only a foot or two away from the repellers

We are the only source of water around here mid summer for a couple of kilometres so it doesnt seem to matter how hard we try they still come in. Last year mid Jan we saw 5 brown snakes at one time in our lavender crop - obviously attracted by the drip system watering them. We put in concrete footing under all colour bond fencing and the buggers dig down and come in under it . The Maremmas took out 4 of them last year so everywhere I go they cover me. Heaps better than a repeller.

Edited by Steve

Steve! YOIKS.

One thing - To the best of my knowledge , snakes can't dig . They use mouseholes , mostly . Some may make a 'hollow' in loose sand .. but AFAIK, that's it. our aviary has snake proof mesh ... ,and provided I keep mouse holes in the soil filled ... we have no problem , thankfully .

Steve! YOIKS.

One thing - To the best of my knowledge , snakes can't dig . They use mouseholes , mostly . Some may make a 'hollow' in loose sand .. but AFAIK, that's it. our aviary has snake proof mesh ... ,and provided I keep mouse holes in the soil filled ... we have no problem , thankfully .

Yep might be following mouse holes - Ill get someone onto making sure mouse holes are spotted and filled in but Id never trust anyone or any system for being sure they arent here - never let the guard down.

Steve! YOIKS.

Yep might be following mouse holes - Ill get someone onto making sure mouse holes are spotted and filled in but Id never trust anyone or any system for being sure they arent here - never let the guard down.

it's a never ending job - I know . I guess the maremmas have some protection with all that coat , thankfully . Stay safe!

Steve! YOIKS.

it's a never ending job - I know . I guess the maremmas have some protection with all that coat , thankfully . Stay safe!

The Maremmas spot them a mile away and nip in pick em up and sort of crack em. Awesome but scary to watch. We have learned to not distract them and stay back .Last year one was tossed into the side of the shed and was dead in 2 seconds - no matter how much I complain about that bitch shedding on me and barking when I want her to shut up and not doing a thing she is told Ill ever be without one at my side.

Edited by Steve