Vegetarian Dogs?

Ranga

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't do it unless there was a serious medical condition that required such a diet. I am all for an individuals right to choose their own path, but I don't think it is fair to push beliefs onto a dog. If dogs evolve (devolve) to have teeth like a cow I might consider it :D

Guest crazydoglady99

Interestingly.. some of the oldest living dogs are fed vegan diets.. (Google)

The book 'give your dog a bone' by vet Ian Billinghurst changed the way I think about and feed my dogs.

I think that as you need to steam, mash or puree veggies so the dogs can extract the nutrients from them, give us a clue as to their primary diet. That and the way their teeth are shaped. I am not having a go at anyone and I do find the topic fascinating :)

My husky is fed prey model raw, but loves the odd bit of veggie as a treat and now that my bloody mulberry tree is fully ladened with fruit he is pigging out on them which makes for interesting purple poos :D

Sorry, I should have said they have a carnivorous bias, but have adapted to be able to live as omnivores, that's what I was getting at, they aren't strictly carnivorous.

As Yonjuro said, there is some current scientific debate on this. They may in fact be strict carnivores. More research needs to be done.

Saying some of the oldest living dogs were fed a vegetarian diet is the same as people saying their grandparents lived to 100 and smoked every day of their life. Doesn't mean a lot.

Most people who feed vegetarian diets to their animals are vegetarian or vegan themselves and are putting their own beliefs on their animals.

I think if a person is a vegetarian or vegan and will not feed a dog meat, then they shouldn't have one. They should have herbivores instead.

If it is due to a medical issue then I have no problem.

My thoughts exactly

Yep agree 100%

It has always been the case that a plant based diet could not provide complete proteins to a dog.

Until now that is, enter quinoa.

I don't get why you'd do this to an animal clearly designed to eat meat. You want a vegetarian pet, then nature provides for those.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

I think if a person is a vegetarian or vegan and will not feed a dog meat, then they shouldn't have one. They should have herbivores instead.

My thoughts exactly

Yep agree 100%

Me three!

My thoughts exactly

Yep agree 100%

Me three!

Me four.

Horrible Herbert is one year old an Thursday.

He is adamant he is an ominvore

:)

The reason I raised this subject is that my neighbour has a dog with no health issues ... All good. It is a working breed (BC/Cattle cross). For no apparent reason the dog is on a vegetarian diet :confused:

This animal has always been 'lazy' and now seems very lethargic. It looks healthy (apart from being overweight) i.e. shiny coat, bright eyes, and is only about six years old.

The owner is not a vegetarian, and so I don't understand the purpose in not feeding the dog meat :(

Ronin caught and ate his third bird this morning (2 this month). I am pretty sure he believes he is an obligate carnivore :eek: The cheeky bugger then conned the Mrs into giving him his brekky as she didn't see the kill. Fair play to him though, he has been hunting these doves for a while now and slept outside of which I am sure was so he could be up at dawn to hunt. He then slept most of the day!

Is like a bloody wildlife doco in my backyard - Hunt, eat then sleep. He's taking this whole prey model raw diet to another level.