My Dogs Are Fighting!

Guest donatella

Guest donatella

Bon has nothing to do with it she currently lives in fear. This only happens when she's on the couch or on my bed etc which she has done her entire life so I'm not sure why Lucy is suddenly all high and mighty

Great that you are seeing Jane Harper - she has a good rep. Now that Bon is maturing Lucy could be trying to assert herself. She's also a bit unsure of herself, isn't she? Sometimes less stable dogs lash out at other dogs as a way of coping (not saying this is necessarily the case here, but my Lucy used to redirect aggression onto Fergus occasionally. It hasn't happened for a few years now and they are both safe together. They are a boy/girl combo and Fergus is submissive though).

Edit: Just watched the video. Very upsetting. Poor little Bon is sending Lucy all the "I don't want to fight" signals and Lucy is just ignoring them. That is a pretty fierce attack too. Completely unprovoked. I've never seen a dog attack like that before. Very, very viscous. :( .

Poor Bon just wants to be everyone's friend. She is a Velcro dog and Lucy more independent so I'm not sure her always being at my side is making Lucy jealous.

Good idea re vet check.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could be reading the body language incorrectly but I don't see that as friendly. Bon still looks like she's trying to back away but is too frightened to do so and Lucy is watching you the entire time. Not to make this too humanised but (this is the only way I can explain it) it's almost like she's being passive aggressive.

Edited by Bjelkier

I could be reading the body language incorrectly but I don't see that as friendly. Bon still looks like she's trying to back away but is too frightened to do so and Lucy is watching you the entire time. Not to make this too humanised but (this is the only way I can explain it) it's almost like she's being passive aggressive.

Yes it reads like an open book. Bon clearly feels uncomfortable with the situation. She knows if she doesn't submit and let Lucy lick her, that Lucy might attack her. This has probably been brewing for a long time but the signs were too benign for you to really see it developing. every time Lucy has a tiny triumph over Bon, she puts a badge on her chest. Now she has so many badges she thinks she is chief superintendent, has all the power and calls all the shots. she totally gets off on it now. Hopefully a consult can help you work out how to strip her of her badges. Bon is living under extreme duress. It's little wonder that she is sickly.

Eta.....in the video at the end it looks as if Bon is about to give Lucy a lick or kiss. Please don't read this as 'making up' or 'friendly' behavior. That will be appeasing behavior from poor Bon.

Edited by GrufLife

I agree with others I wouldn't call that friendly, Bonnie's body language doesn't look relaxed, comfortable or playful.

Reading the other dogs body language is a great way to get an understanding of whether the aggressor is being appropriate. if you are unsure, how the other dog is 'receiving' the attention can be a good test.

Lucy's behaviour is very assertive and she is extremely confident in what she is doing. I have seen a number of dogs with similar behaviour, I'm sure it will be fixable with the right advice but you will need to be very clear and strict with the house rules. Lucy doesn't appear to be a dog I would be soft with, she is very confident in what she is doing. Let us know how it goes with jane!

This is how bipolar she is. She goes from attacking to friendly https://vimeo.com/112797181

Not friendly I'm afraid. Poor little Bonnie is too terrified to move ....

It worries me that there are probably many cases out there where people do nothing and their dogs suffer, Bonnie is living in fear and that's no way to live.

Quite a few years ago I did have a Foxie who suddenly start turning on my Westie cross who'd been his best friend for 2 years - it turned out that the Foxie had a brain tumour, it was very difficult at the time as he was definitely switching between being fine and suddenly aggressive.

Poor Bon :( That attack is horrible!

Agree with all the others. Revoke privileges.

And she is definitely not friendly. That to me almost looks possessive. In a 'you are my slave" kind of way..

Deniki has been getting snarky lately over me. All my pets sleep on my bed - 3 cavs and a cat.

My cat, Todd, went to jump up the other night and Deniki jumped off and pinned him to the ground! :mad

I was not happy with him and quick as a flash I reset up the crate in my room and he was in there.

He wasn't too happy but hasn't tried anything again.

I just dont want him thinking that he can do this. I think he did it to the cat as he is the bottom of the dog pack. Little does he know my cat has claws and probably isnt afraid to attack back..

Guest donatella

I wouldn't say I'm doing nothing I have acted as soon as I recognised the signs. I don't proclaim to be a behaviourist or know the signs other then the bleeding obvious ones. They do play and Bon follows her around, She's the sort of dog who likes company even if that company is a mega bitch.

I wouldn't say I'm doing nothing I have acted as soon as I recognised the signs. I don't proclaim to be a behaviourist or know the signs other then the bleeding obvious ones. They do play and Bon follows her around, She's the sort of dog who likes company even if that company is a mega bitch.

Poor Bon. Thats probably not helping her either.

ps. and OT she is so adorable :heart:

ETA: agree with Huski. Looking forward to a hopefully happy update and solution.

Edited by denali

Guest donatella

ETA: agree with Huski. Looking forward to a hopefully happy update and solution.

Thank you she is. She's lovely and I do feel for her if Lucy isn't rehabilitatable then there is only 1 option and that is euth as I would never rehome Bon and Lucy wouldn't be rehomeable as she is

Yes I just wish I could see her before next weekend feels like a lifetime away :(

Don't stress, we have a waiting list of usually 6 weeks, one week will fly by!

Just keep them separated for now as you plan to with the baby gates, it will stop Lucy rehearsing the behavior and will make it much less stressful for you.

ETA: I'm sure you can get on top of Lucy's behaviour with the right help, she's far from the worst dog I've seen!

Edited by huski

Thank you she is. She's lovely and I do feel for her if Lucy isn't rehabilitatable then there is only 1 option and that is euth as I would never rehome Bon and Lucy wouldn't be rehomeable as she is

The week shouldnt go too slowly. Just keep them separated and dont stress too much about it. You/re doing everything you can at the moment.

I am sure Lucy will be able to be helped- it may take some time but you seem definitely prepared to do absolutely everything to help your girls.

Guest donatella

Thank you everyone!

Huski that makes me feel a bit better. I need someone who knows wtf they're doing to give me a plan

Oh Don, I don't think you need to be thinking about PTS! As you say, you just need someone to help you understand what's going on and give you a plan to take control of it.

My three take some management to all live happily together, Saxon and Quinn have an ongoing power struggle and sometimes have arguments (neither is aggressive to the level Lucy is, its just noise, and they both participate although I'm sure Saxon would back down if pushed) and both will sometimes gang up to pick on Riley who will just roll over so I have to keep on top of being the one who controls the resources, including play time, and tells all of them when they need to stop or stay away from each other or just take it down a notch.

It's fine once you understand what's happening and get in the habit of being ready to intervene and most of the time they are fine together :)