Jessie's Mysterious Sickness

dezzyno.1

thanks Sueang it is something that I can certainly speak to my vet about as well....although if it is highly contagious my other dogs drink from the same water as Jessie and they all lick each others mouths and they are not sick at all and yes all water at our house is changed every day for them to have clean fresh water daily but something else to look into so thank you very much

I forgot to write if the other dogs have a good immune system chances of getting the Helicobacter virus are slim, as they will have alot of good bacteria to fight the bad bacteria off. I asked the vet about my cat as he drinks out of the same water bowl & thats what she told me..Also put them all on a good dog probiotic I use Vetafarm Probiotic its a powder I just mix 1 teaspoon to 10-15ml water in a bowl & Patch just drinks it, I give daily after breakfast well I will be doing again after the Anitbiotics are finished in 3 weeks..You keep Vetafarm in the fridge, has to be store under 25degrees, its sold at Pet Barn in the bird section now, I dont know why they moved it, it use to have a dog & cat on the container now it has a red chicken & lorekett on the side & they put in the bird section they do sell Paws probiotic in dog section but its dearer double the price & has less strains of good bacteria the vetafarm has around 7-8 strains of good bacteria..like the vets Protexin Vetafarm has the same ingredients as Protexin & its sold at vets for $65 Vetafarm sells for only $20 Paws sells for $45

Just for the record, Paws DigestiCare 60 has 7 strains and is also in a large tub (150gm compared to 90gm).

Sags

:)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks Sueang it is something that I can certainly speak to my vet about as well....although if it is highly contagious my other dogs drink from the same water as Jessie and they all lick each others mouths and they are not sick at all and yes all water at our house is changed every day for them to have clean fresh water daily but something else to look into so thank you very much

I forgot to write if the other dogs have a good immune system chances of getting the Helicobacter virus are slim, as they will have alot of good bacteria to fight the bad bacteria off. I asked the vet about my cat as he drinks out of the same water bowl & thats what she told me..Also put them all on a good dog probiotic I use Vetafarm Probiotic its a powder I just mix 1 teaspoon to 10-15ml water in a bowl & Patch just drinks it, I give daily after breakfast well I will be doing again after the Anitbiotics are finished in 3 weeks..You keep Vetafarm in the fridge, has to be store under 25degrees, its sold at Pet Barn in the bird section now, I dont know why they moved it, it use to have a dog & cat on the container now it has a red chicken & lorekett on the side & they put in the bird section they do sell Paws probiotic in dog section but its dearer double the price & has less strains of good bacteria the vetafarm has around 7-8 strains of good bacteria..like the vets Protexin Vetafarm has the same ingredients as Protexin & its sold at vets for $65 Vetafarm sells for only $20 Paws sells for $45

Just for the record, Paws DigestiCare 60 has 7 strains and is also in a large tub (150gm compared to 90gm).

Sags

READ the ingredients, it has less CFU/g LACTOBACILLUS ACIDOPHILUS it only has 60 million,....Where the Vetafarm & Protexin yellow container has 180 million....the Protexin Green label has only 60 million like Paws & its cheaper then Paws, so why pay $40 something dollars When you can get the VetaFarm for $20 just like what vets use the yellow label Protexin that sells for $65... buy the Paws larger tube u'll just need to use more...

:offtopic:

I like the Protexin green label at around $45 for 250g. I don't think mixing in water would suit my dog as he is fed raw and doesn't drink as much as a dog on kibble would. Mixing it with his meat means I know the exact amount he has consumed each time.

To be honest I buy this one as it seems to be liked and I think Dr Bruce Syme mentioned or recommended this one?? I bought what I thought was the best not what it cost, so happy to be persuaded if there is a better option :)

How is Jessie going? Update please?

@stressmagnet.....Jessie is back to her normal self....I have changed her to the Hills SD Sensitive Stomach and she seems to be doing well on it but we will have to wait for the 2-3 month mark to really see how she is doing on it.....on Sunday she went back to Rally-O and obedience training and had a ball......if anything she thinks she is starving and even had a bench surf which she has never done and grabbed a piece of roast beef off the bench :laugh:

I have had a look at the link that JulesP put up but I will have to ask the vet because of Jessie's medications as I really do not know how they will react with her medications

Edited by dezzyno.1

Sags

READ the ingredients, it has less CFU/g LACTOBACILLUS ACIDOPHILUS it only has 60 million,....Where the Vetafarm & Protexin yellow container has 180 million....the Protexin Green label has only 60 million like Paws & its cheaper then Paws, so why pay $40 something dollars When you can get the VetaFarm for $20 just like what vets use the yellow label Protexin that sells for $65... buy the Paws larger tube u'll just need to use more...

\

No need to yell at me. You said that Paw had less strains and I only pointed out that is has 7. Not how many little wiggly things are there. :)

@stressmagnet.....Jessie is back to her normal self....I have changed her to the Hills SD Sensitive Stomach and she seems to be doing well on it but we will have to wait for the 2-3 month mark to really see how she is doing on it.....on Sunday she went back to Rally-O and obedience training and had a ball......if anything she thinks she is starving and even had a bench surf which she has never done and grabbed a piece of roast beef off the bench :laugh:

I have had a look at the link that JulesP put up but I will have to ask the vet because of Jessie's medications as I really do not know how they will react with her medications

awesome news! I'm really interested in Jessie's journey as I have a friend with a dog going through similar ups and downs.

Sags

I wasn't particularly suggesting you use it. Was just joining in the probiotic talk :)

awesome news! I'm really interested in Jessie's journey as I have a friend with a dog going through similar ups and downs.

Sags

@Sagittarian I will keep you updated on how she goes but at the moment she is back to her normal self

@JulesP...I know you didn't suggest it but I am willing to try anything to try and help Jessie overcome this "sickness" and am grateful for anybody's opinion or suggestions :D

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone I thought I would give you an update on how Jessie has been going.....after 9th December she vomited once every week but it was different in that she was sick but was still her bouncy self and I figured out it was the Bromav so we make up her tea and take some of it for breakfast and put her medications into the tea/breakfast morning and night and she has tolerated this very well with no more vomiting but we are coming up to the 2-3 month vomit at the end of January/early February so will wait and see if anything happens

We were at our local OB club for the break-up and my daughter's instructor (who we have problems with) gave Jessie some cheese so my daughter asked him to not give her anything else because she has been sick.....Jessie sat in front of him so he gave her some we think kangaroo mince and white chocolate and guess what Jessie was very lethargic for the next two days (we are going to be talking to the club about this when we go back in February).....we felt she didn't tolerate the Royal Canin Sensitive so we have now changed her onto Supercoat Sensitive along with chicken mince, beef mince, tuna and chicken frames and guess what she is doing so well with no vomits since before christmas

Keeping fingers crossed she continues to improve and keep handling her meds the way we are giving them to her now :thumbsup:

A person who is an instructor at an obedience club should be ( IMO)

a) more aware of the fact that random feeding is actually a form of disrespect to an owner .... and

b) should be setting an example of how to behave around dogs & owners.

I hope Jessie continues to improve and be happy - perhaps buy a set of these ! LINK

thumb-Harness.Small.Pug115_1.jpg

@VislaMomma this instructor is very arrogant anyway and thinks that he knows better well believe me he won't anymore cause I am furious for him making our girl sick

@Persephone you are dead right....I am learning to become an OB instructor at the moment and I would never treat anyone's dog without their permission and it would only be to demonstrate on how to do things and again that would only happen if I had permission from the dog's owner....those leads look fantastic and I will be getting Jessie a set....they are her favourite color too....thank you for the link :D

thanks Claudia123 I will speak to the vet about it but they have done a blood test for diabetes and her levels are fine also she has not been on anitbiotics and does not get any ear infections or bladder infections or drooling or skin lesions....she just vomits and is lethargic for 24-48 hours then back to her normal self but thanks for the suggestion :)