Where Has Everyone Gone?

sandgrubber

I rarely visit Facebook and do prefer the forum. I just wish there was more dog discussion than off topic discussion.

Where do the newbies with dogs who want info go these days. They're not coming here.

I know I was a bit hesitant to post some things or offer my opinion on others as there are some very strong well established opinions here and it can feel a little overwhelming. Also the search function is fantastic so I read through a lot of old topics :)

I rarely visit Facebook and do prefer the forum. I just wish there was more dog discussion than off topic discussion.

Where do the newbies with dogs who want info go these days. They're not coming here.

I know I was a bit hesitant to post some things or offer my opinion on others as there are some very strong well established opinions here and it can feel a little overwhelming. Also the search function is fantastic so I read through a lot of old topics :)

I joined a year before I posted. Agree that the search function is very useful.

Lots of newbies might not need to post if they can search for the basics smile.gif

It has been quiet of late, but I can't talk, I haven't been on here much either. Not that I have much to contribute :laugh:

So, can anyone tell me, do you usually get antibiotics when you have a dog desexed?

In the absence of underlying or concurrent bacterial infection, I hope not.

People are now on breed specific FB pages where they can get advice from other experienced owners and breeders in their breed.

Yes, the FB page for my breed of interest is international & is fantastic in sharing all sorts of things. Just saw videos posted of a dog club in Wales put on a nativity play where the characters were played by dogs ... and a dog flying in the cabin from the US to London (fine with the airline).

But I agree with others who've said that the forums are better for sustained discussions. DOL's always done this well... hope it always will. Maybe the lead-up to Christmas is taking up people's time.

So, can anyone tell me, do you usually get antibiotics when you have a dog desexed?

You shouldn't - vets that do that are contributing to antibiotic resistance. If your vets sterile surgery technique is good there is no reason to give antibiotics as a precaution.

I've been feeling like a thread killer or someone who lots of people have on ignore. I go into a new post with excitement. Post something then it all goes dead. So little to get riled up over these days so yes I agree, DOL is quiet and getting quieter. How dare people go off and have lives!

That's like me in the Iggy thread! :laugh:

It has been quiet of late, but I can't talk, I haven't been on here much either. Not that I have much to contribute :laugh:

In the absence of underlying or concurrent bacterial infection, I hope not.

Sweet, thanks. It's been 15 years since I've had to have a dog desexed and couldn't remember :o

Before this thread slips into a different matter for discussion. I use the 'view new topics' option and each day I scroll to the bottom of the first page to see who is having a birthday. Not very often does a name come up that I recognise and I've been an active member for a long time. Most birthdays listed are names of people who perhaps registered and made only a couple of posts or have never posted at all and perhaps don't even visit the forum.

It seems there is no cut off period of time for when these non posters are considered to no longer be members. It seems once registered we're members for life unless of course Troy bans us for some reason. Even then banned members will occasionally show in the daily birthday list.

DOL has large membership numbers but a small population of regular posters these days. Even then the most active threads are Off Topic.

I miss the days when we had spirited discussions on the subject of dogs. I learned a lot I needed to know about dogs back then.

Before this thread slips into a different matter for discussion. I use the 'view new topics' option and each day I scroll to the bottom of the first page to see who is having a birthday. Not very often does a name come up that I recognise and I've been an active member for a long time. Most birthdays listed are names of people who perhaps registered and made only a couple of posts or have never posted at all and perhaps don't even visit the forum.

It seems there is no cut off period of time for when these non posters are considered to no longer be members. It seems once registered we're members for life unless of course Troy bans us for some reason. Even then banned members will occasionally show in the daily birthday list.

DOL has large membership numbers but a small population of regular posters these days. Even then the most active threads are Off Topic.

I miss the days when we had spirited discussions on the subject of dogs. I learned a lot I needed to know about dogs back then.

Me too. I miss the feeling of community ,family too.