Taronga, Featherdale, Et Al

tdierikx

The bugeyed chimp baby is Sudi... DOB 9th August 2014... he's really starting to be fun to watch now...

The armour and teeth are Ngukkur - he's every bit and fractious as he looks... ate TWO girlfriends offered to him... errr!

The sunbear is the darling Mr Hobbs... rescued from a small cage in Asia... now doing so well, and has a girlfriend, Mary, to play with. Sadly, Mr Hobbs only has one testicle, so making babies is proving to be a slow process. It will happen one day I'm sure!

I haven't been through my Featherdale photos from Sunday yet... got some evil eye shots of the Little Eagle who taloned my finger - got me through the cage! She's now been christened "Bitchface"... lol! I can tell you now that Little Eagle talons are needle sharp and slice through skin like butter. She only managed to puncture me a bit due to the cage stopping the worst of her attack. I sucked the buggery out of the wound, and then squeezed a pile of spirit wipe juice into it (stung a bit), so all healing nicely now. The keepers said she can be nasty... and Bitchface is tame compared to what they have been known to call her... hehe!

T.

The croc has all those pits on its face plates... they are sensory things that tell it to snap at you... errr!

The pelican was actually scratching itself, but it was too good to miss... so caught him in a compromising position... hehe!

Finally sorted through Sunday's Featherdale shots...

Here's Bitchface... if you look into her eye, you can see me taking the photo...

16520902820_a932bdc9d1_o.jpg

... and here are some of the other animal friends I've made there...

16520907860_18280a2750_o.jpg

16522179119_1c958c2daa_o.jpg

16707011991_df41bdb381_o.jpg

16707244482_8a8a49b48e_o.jpg

16088348073_e25d6535d1_o.jpg

16085966484_c75f99119d_o.jpg

16708279995_17f68b4d1d_o.jpg

16522164379_28247e0715_o.jpg

16088337133_43213ac029_o.jpg

T.

Nice picks grumpette... I like those 3 a lot too!

I went to Featherdale again today with a friend... and I didn't even get my camera out!

Had me a blast pretending to be a tourist and just interacting with the animals... at one point I had 4 young goats all climbing up my front trying to get the food in my hands... and ended up surrounded by real tourists snapping photos of me being bombarded... lol!

I also managed to get me another one of Bitchface's discarded feathers... without losing any blood this time... although she tried real hard... lol! I also ended up in a tug-o-war with Spike the Wedgie when I was using a stick to try to get one of his discarded feathers... I won AND got the feather! I got kisses from Rueben the baby Eastern Grey Kangaroo, and from Big Baz the adult Kangaroo Island Kangaroo (he smells like maple syrup... yummo!)

Had a pile of tourists freaking out at me hand feeding the young Emus... they don't hurt... no teeth... lol! Fair cop, I had my arm through the fence, and the Emus were going at the pile of food hammer and tong, but I'm thinking someone has been working with them, as they were taking the food off my hand sideways, as is usually taught to make them a bit less intimidating to the public when feeding.

I have also perfected a method of getting all the hiding Potoroos to come out and pose for the cameras... they are shy little guys!

T.

Sudi is getting really fun to watch now grizabella... Shiba is a little less protective and lets him wander a bit further from her now. There are regular baby playdate sessions too, when you'll see the 3 mums and bubs hanging out up the back of the enclosure and the bubs all play together. Sule and Sembe are also starting to take a more active role playing with the little ones... Sembe is regularly taking Fumo off for one-on-one play sessions too (and she's being gentle with him!)

Our mutual friend has also got a video of Kamili actually voluntarily touching Liwali! Currying favour with Lisa no doubt, as Kamili doesn't "do" babies... errr!

Koko actually loves having little play sessions with Fumo too... interesting to note...

Poor Sule is starting to bear the brunt of a fair bit of discipline from the adults now his white tuft has gone... some days he looks so miserable at having to start growing up and behaving appropriately... but Sembe is having more mutual play sessions with him again, so that offsets it a bit... *grin*

Sembe seems to have settled into the fact that she's now supposed to behave appropriately too, and is starting to take a more active role in helping with the little ones. She is so good with Sudi and Fumo when they pull her hair and bite her... and I saw her gently reach out and touch Liwali when he strayed close to her the other day. I can see poor Sembe being the babies' chew toy for a while yet...

T.

we havn't been to Featherdale or Taronga for years,but i was only thinking the other day i would take the 2 teens to Featherdale next school hols. Do they still have the snake they bring out to hold? My daughter loved that, i had to go and stand out of sight as i want to vomit at the sight of a snake. :laugh:

• 3 weeks later...