Grazed Nose?

So Boof head Scottie must have taken a tumble while he was out with the dog walker today & he has come home with 2 reasonably angry grazes on his nose.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BzQ-pEjoICGIcEE2aEtkSU9nT0E/edit?usp=docslist_api

The walker assures me he didn't get in a fight (which isnt really his style) so im confident they're not puncture wounds.

I really hate saying this but: Things are a bit tight financially this month & I know the vet will just put him straight on amoxyclav & saline wash.

Im nit a huge fan of using a broad spectrum Antibiotic for every little thing... so...Should i just wash his face with a saline solution ×2 a day or should i take him to the vet?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ermmmm looks very much like a bite!! They don't look like grazes- the outlines look way too deep/neat . (I'd be very wary of a dog walker who let my dog get "grazes" like that - what the hell did he hit?) Thorough saline wash .. then betadine a ouple times a day ... if it is a bite ..there may well be some swelling /bruising . Just keep an eye on it ...and get to a vet if the area feels hotter /is swollen ..appears to dampen his enjoyment of the finer things in life. *disclaimer* NOT veterinary advice ...

That doesn't look like something accidental to me...

What perse said about treating the wounds...

... and no more walking with that dog walker until he's healed up, and she can give you assurances that it will never happen again.

I'd present the dog walker with the bill myself if he requires antibiotics.

T.

That doesn't look like something accidental to me...

What perse said about treating the wounds...

... and no more walking with that dog walker until he's healed up, and she can give you assurances that it will never happen again.

I'd present the dog walker with the bill myself if he requires antibiotics.

T.

I LIKE that bolded bit ...... and hopefully whatever/whoever left their mark has not also affected his little spotty psyche .

On checking the photo again - roll up that lip ..and just see if there's any damage on the inside ..bruising/hole , etc . Just in case ;) and take photo ..AND show dog walker - and ask what he did do , if it isn't a tooth mark? Did he stick his head thru a wire fence/run into sticks....???

That's definitely not a graze. It looks like a bite. I can only see one pic. Was there another one?

I would sack the dog walker and take the dog to the vet. That dog walker is not telling you the truth about what actually happened.

Edited: Now I see the other one. My lighting on 'puter' was too dark. They're sure not grazes. Your dog probably needs antibiotics.

Edited by cavNrott

Poo bums... this is the last thing i need.

I've been relying on her so much to help me pick up the slack (lots going on) & have just booked her for 7 days of sitting over easter...

someone else took one look and said bite too... poo poo poo... i always feel like a numpty when I have to post "what is this?" Photos here. He's not sooky & has no other signs of being bitten. I did check him over for signs of slobber & other ouchies.

Thanks for the offer of ABs Tdierikx. I might have some here ... but if not will make the long hard treck 400 metres up the rd to the vet & put it in the credit card.

Here i was thinking he'd just skidded out (he has before but not that badly).. .. but at the same time I thought it was odd she specifically said it wasnt a bite.

Edited by Scottsmum

Sorry but agree with everyone. From what I see that is a bite. Somebody's got him right on the end of the nose. Ouch!!!

Dog walker is a dead give away really. Quickly saying "oh its not a bite".

These things always seem to happen at the worst possible time, without fail.

I would be very reluctant to send Scottie out with this walker again actually.

I'm guessing that the walker takes multiple dogs out at a time? Not a fan of those after seeing one open their van at a busy dog park and around 7 unrestrained dogs piled out and started causing havoc... and the "walker" couldn't (or wouldn't) do anything to control any of them.

T.

Snaps happen - and sometimes they connect . He may NOT have been in a fight - someone just gave him a message . Shame the walker didn't explain that , then you would have understood - makes me wonder what else she doesn't mention ..... "what happens on dog walk , STAYS on dog walk " ? How is he this morning?

I don't think I would be allowing this dog walker to walk my dogs again. Does she pick your dog up in a van and walk a number of dogs together and as T said, take them all to the park? This injury happened on her watch so she's be responsible for any vet fees. It's her duty to keep your dog safe while he's in her care.

Stuff happens with dogs, especially when more than one together, I would worry about her not telling you though, that is the most important thing, if something happens, well sometimes things happen, but you have to say what happened!