Dog Proof Indoor Garbage Bins

dougal

I am looking to purchase a new indoor garbage bin. For some time I have had my bin behind a dog gate, but would like to move it closer into the kitchen......which includes dogs. Has anybody had any success with a specific type of bin? I'm thinking a heavy base (to stop them pushing it over), with a good locking mechanism. Just when I think I've found the solution they show me otherwise :(

I used to keep mine in a cupboard too, now it's just me and I don't have much rubbish, I just have a tiny bench top one and put rubbish in the outside bin each morning.. My morning ritual is take small rubbish bag out of bench top bin, go out and do poo patrol using a nappy bag, put tied nappy bag in small rubbish bag, tie off, and put in rubbish bin.

I have a bin in the cupboard, but with a family it's not large enough and quickly fills with doggy attractive items. Maybe I need to get a lump of lead and put in the bottom to stop the tipping motion and try for a lid that doesn't allow for easy nose access! I have an area where I can jam it between two solid walls, so it's just the paws on the top to pull it over and nose under the lid.

Grulife, I found it much easier when I was on my own, but trying to control large human habits as well makes it difficult.

Perhaps go to one of those storage solution shops and see if there is a retro fit for a cupboard bin. Like rails or sliders or a bracket or something so that a bin or just a bag can be fitted into a cupboard. There are really neat ones that slide out or swing out. They make the most of the available space.

we have two metal Simple Human. two-flap, centre opening bins. Unless something is poking out of the top (in which case it's too full & needs emptying) neither of my labs have ever gotten into them. They are stupid expensive but damn good quality.

thanks for the ideas everyone.

I was looking at the simple human ones this morning and wondered if they work given the cost. If a lab hasn't penetrated it, they must be good As I'm heading to the US in a month or so, thought if I didn't find a solution in Aus would look at bringing one back. The US have so many things of much better quality.

eta - I like that idea pipsqueak, could be a quick measure until I can get something more robust.

Edited by dougal

I have the same as Suzi - the simplehuman butterfly bin. They have a nice strong lid which stays clamped down well.

https://www.google.c...n+butterfly+bin

They are not the cheapest bins, but we have had the same bin for nearly 9 years now and it's still going strong.

Simple_Human_Butterfly_Recycler.jpg

we have the same size as you CC and the shorter version of it too; they're both really good. The only time one of our labs has managed to pull rubbish out or even remotely get it open was when it was too full and paper was poking out. We got the first one on sale and paid considerably less than its retail price. The second one (the larger of the two) we bought as our recycle bin and didn't hesitate about the price tag since we knew they worked well.