Errrmmmmm Smelly Dog ..how Do You Cope?

persephone

*wonders if paper towel/vinegar would work?*

When we had working dog breeds, I kept a pile of old face washers. I'd put a few drops of Nil Odor (highly concentrated) in some warm water, dip in & wring out a washer so it wasn't soaking wet, then rub that thro' the coat & legs.

Nil Odor instructions say it can be added to a dog's bath water, when you want to go the whole hog.

Ernie pees on himself. Because... Ernie.

I buy baby wipes in bulk, and keep some:

A) by the back door

B) by the front door

C) by his crate.

If he pongs - a quick once over of the front legs and chest usually does it. Baby wipes are great for a quick all over to get rid of wet Labrador smell and stinking creek water smell.

I will say that the pee smell isn't that noticeable, it was slightly worse when he had his balls but not much. I'd suggest a vet check up - and take him stinky so the vet gets what you are talking about.

In the meantime - baby wipes RULE.

I am now jinxed.....

Horrible Horrible HORRIBLE Herbert barked the house down at about 04:00am dark time to go outside.....

I stood AND watched as he did not aim to miss himself.

Yep, he stank.

Thank Dog I had face washers at hand all ready for duty.

Quick wipe & all sorted and back to the warm bed.

:)

Not that I'm suggesting this.... & besides we don't have skunks. But it was funny to read on our international tibbie list (where there's lots of Americans)how they get rid of a skunk smell on their dogs by dousing them with tomato juice. :)

Edited by mita

Not that I'm suggesting this.... & besides we don't have skunks. But it was funny to read on our international tibbie list (where there's lots of Americans)how they get rid of a skunk smell on their dogs by dousing them with tomato juice. :)

Been there, done that (when I lived in Canada). It takes a LOT of tomato juice to bath a Lab!

Not funny :(

and it doesn't completely remove the smell - just moderates it enough that you are not constantly gagging!!

Been there, done that (when I lived in Canada). It takes a LOT of tomato juice to bath a Lab!

and it doesn't completely remove the smell - just moderates it enough that you are not constantly gagging!!

That stench of skunk prevades your taste buds for a long long time. Orion, our Senior Hunter Vizsla wore that smell as a badge of honour.

:eek:

You're not wrong ... there'd be a lot of tomato juice for a lab. And I bet it wouldn't be re-usable.

There was something else also mentioned for anti-skunk smell... but I can't remember what it was!