Outside Dog Kennel Bedding

MAZNAT

Can anyone suggest what type/brand of bed/mat would be suitable for an outside dog kennel please.

Would like something that water would roll off I guess so if our dear puppy (who's not going to be a puppy for too long) was wet, that it won't stay wet and make him cold.

This is my first dog, so its all a bit new to me still. Thanks in advance.

I'd get a couple of pieces of unbacked vet bed and stack them. It doesn't hold water, it's easy to wash when it gets dragged out onto the lawn and it will last forever.

Thanks Maddy, do you know where I can purchase this from? Australian Online seller?

I'd get a couple of pieces of unbacked vet bed and stack them. It doesn't hold water, it's easy to wash when it gets dragged out onto the lawn and it will last forever.

Thanks Maddy, do you know where I can purchase this from? Australian Online seller?

I would recommend Wolf's Den. (If you have ad's enabled, you may see their ad on top of the forum)....

http://thewolfsden.com.au/

Higly recommended.

And may I say, one lucky puppy to have such a grand kennel.

Photos eagerly awaited! (when you are ready, of course)...

:flower:

I put a piece of thick rubber flooring to fit the floor - the type used in horse loose boxes that has holes in it and lets the water through. Over the top of that I put an offcut of thick sheepskin - all super cosy!

Also I make sure that the door of the kennel is offset so that the dog can snuggle round the corner out of the draft.

I would recommend Wolf's Den. (If you have ad's enabled, you may see their ad on top of the forum)....

http://thewolfsden.com.au/

Higly recommended.

And may I say, one lucky puppy to have such a grand kennel.

Photos eagerly awaited! (when you are ready, of course)...

:flower:

Thank you Vizsla Momma. What's the benefits of the different backings?

Hope the pic comes through of our very quickly growing bundle of puppy joy.

post-53283-0-72216600-1429529890_thumb.jpg

I put a piece of thick rubber flooring to fit the floor - the type used in horse loose boxes that has holes in it and lets the water through. Over the top of that I put an offcut of thick sheepskin - all super cosy!

Also I make sure that the door of the kennel is offset so that the dog can snuggle round the corner out of the draft.

Another great idea. Thanks JRG.

When you say 'unbacked' I see they have ones that are either ribbed or 'green' backing. Is there another version or which one would be best for my needs?

Edited by MAZNAT

I deally you need 'snuggly' stuff ... a wet viszla with almost no coat will get very cold very fast ... and if the kennel lets wind in ..or is exposed to the cold & wet , she won't get warm really .... I would also suggest some of those 'fleece' blankets .. and if you have an opshop near you - look there for cheap woollen blankets - wool is a perfect bedding, as even when damp it stays warm ..and can absorb a lot of moisture before being 'wet' . Here in the bush ..our dog kennels have raw wool piled in for the dogs in Winter - we are lucky :)

When you say 'unbacked' I see they have ones that are either ribbed or 'green' backing. Is there another version or which one would be best for my needs?

The unbacked stuff has neither type of backing (which means it's lighter and easier to wash/dry and you can get it from here- http://www.ozgroomingworld.com.au/super-dry-bed--vet-bed-p225/