Dumbbell Training

Hi

I am currently trying to teach my dog to take and hold a dumbbell. We have only had two training sessions and I have managed to get her to take it and hold it for a very short time.

Does anyone have any tips on how to teach a good hold?

My goal is to eventually have her heeling with it. I would also be greatfull if anyone can recommend a good web site or some articles I could read that may help me train her better in this area.

Thanks for your time.

I actually struggled with the Shirley Chong method - Diesel wanted to grab the dumbbell and throw it, and Kaos got stuck at putting his mouth on it but wouldn't hold it :laugh: I fixed both issues, but used a couple of different methods, one of my favourites is shown in this video by kikopup

And don't train it on the dumbbell initially. Make your mistakes on other retrieve items.

Yes, this! I made that mistake too :laugh:

I started Nitro on a balled up piece of paper :thumbsup:

Ivan Balabanov and old schoolers use some stress to get a firm hold. Don't start on a dumbbell start on a piece of garden hose or something softer then move up to hard objects until the dog gets used to it, and you attach a piece of fine string to one end to teach the dog if there is movement or about to be dropped to grip firmly.

The retrieval object should not be seen as a toy or a prey object at all. This is where chewing, dropping and victory laps occur. The object is just that - a neutral object they perform a behavior with no matter what it is.

I don't think it's quite that simple. The chase is about prey, the feel and smell of the item (in the case of Gundogs) is absolutely about prey and the delivery to hand is simply rewarded with more opportunities to chase. My ESS will pluck a live duck out of the water and deliver it to hand unmarked. Obviously I don't let her free run around lakes after that experience! Certainly chewing game is partly genetic (hard/soft mouth) but a lot of it is in response to stress and a failure to break down the delivery criteria.

Edited by The Spotted Devil

Retrieval in a gundog is a modified behavior to that of something like a guarding breed which will not have a soft mouth and will want to inherently bite, chew or run off with the object if it is seen as prey. The point of gundog breeding is the soft mouth - which is why they never became protection dogs. It's apples and oranges. When you do a dumbbell retrieve it is not a prey item.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the tips. The idea of giving the command touch when the dog has the object in their mouth sound like it may work for me.

She holds it quite well and will retrieve it but instead of putting it in my hand she throws it at me. She loves the touch command so asking her to touch with the object may get her putting it in my hand. I don't use a clicker but use the word yes so I suppose it is the same thing.

Thanks again.