I Want A New Dog

BarbedWire

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Poppy is 25 lol but is probably shorter than all of yours! Think she is around the 45cm mark. She is a bit on the chubby side but has really solid bone. So whilst she is short she isn't much fun to pick up!!

I think the OP wants 'small' as in easier to pick up.

Even Amber is 16kg (and around the 45cm too) .

Poppy is 25 lol but is probably shorter than all of yours! Think she is around the 45cm mark. She is a bit on the chubby side but has really solid bone. So whilst she is short she isn't much fun to pick up!!

Yes Jules this is why I say small and to meet the other requirements it probably needs to be leggy. I would love a border collie. My first dog was a border collie of sorts but I acknowledge they are too high energy for me.

Whippets are certainly athletic dogs but I thought they had a high prey drive. I think a mini poodle is probably what I want. Now I just have to find one.

Thanks everybody for the suggestions.

If you decide on a Poodle just in case you are not aware, which you probably are, but just in case!....... The Miniature Poodle is the middle size Poodle, not to be mistaken for the much smaller Toy Poodle. Buying from an ANKC registered breeder should ensure you get a proper size dog in the Miniature size range. Back yard bred and pet store Poodles are very often sort of between the Toy and Mini. Many people are unaware of just how "big" a well bred Miniature Poodle is! But in you case, the perfect size for you :)

What about another rescue? Seeing as you don't want a puppy, the unpredictability of how a rescue will turn out (size, temp etc) wouldn't be a factor, and quite often there are dogs, both purebred and mixed available of that size.

Kavik- Smudge is 12 kg and 454mm. I consider her too be quite small, but then I judge everything off Reggie..... Lol.

What about another rescue? Seeing as you don't want a puppy, the unpredictability of how a rescue will turn out (size, temp etc) wouldn't be a factor, and quite often there are dogs, both purebred and mixed available of that size.

Kavik- Smudge is 12 kg and 454mm. I consider her too be quite small, but then I judge everything off Reggie..... Lol.

I guess I am the same, since Kaos and Reggie are the same size :laugh: and think Nitro is a nice compact size. And then I see the petite Kelpies at training :laugh:

I am happy to rescue but I can't find any suitable. There is one in WA but I am in NSW near ACT.

I love the talk about BCs. I always thought it was such a pleasure to watch a BC working in obedience or agility. Does anyone remember Steve Bowden's Sid. A magnificent animal.

Edited by sarsaparilla

Yes Jules this is why I say small and to meet the other requirements it probably needs to be leggy. I would love a border collie. My first dog was a border collie of sorts but I acknowledge they are too high energy for me.

Whippets are certainly athletic dogs but I thought they had a high prey drive. I think a mini poodle is probably what I want. Now I just have to find one.

I have both Whippets and Poodles (Miniature and Toy). One thing you will find is that decently bred poodles don't come cheap.

There are a few breeders who have had a number of dogs do well in obedience. They are certainly a far more biddible breed than the Whippets and are charming companions. However a Mini Poodle that weights more than 8-9 kg is probably a fat dog. They are high on leg and are ectomorphs like the sighthounds.

I love my Whippets but they they need their WIIFM box ticked in training. Some folk do very well with them though and they are a low maintenance breed in terms of coat. High prey drive doesn't mean they want to have a go at everything but if it runs... Many live with cats but I'd not sell a pup into home with poultry.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

I often meet a whippet on my walks. It runs around my 'high energy' border collies at a million miles an hour barking.... My dogs just look at it like 'wtf'.

:laugh: reminds me of the whippet we met that started a game of chasey with my Aussie. She's used to winning but didn't have a chance and was permanently half a metre behind the whippet yelping out of frustration :laugh: they can move!

I often meet a whippet on my walks. It runs around my 'high energy' border collies at a million miles an hour barking.... My dogs just look at it like 'wtf'.

:laugh: reminds me of the whippet we met that started a game of chasey with my Aussie. She's used to winning but didn't have a chance and was permanently half a metre behind the whippet yelping out of frustration :laugh: they can move!

I put mine back on lead when we encounter the whippet. I am concerned about them accidentally hurting her. They don't play chasey but they are very, very good at stopping things from moving!

My friend's BC pup tried to herd my Whippets when she first met them. FAIL

Not easy to herd something that's running laps around you.

I am in NSW near ACT.

So my recommendation about both the breeders associated with the Shetland Sheepdog Club of Qld & the Poodle Club of Qld would not be relevant.

Yes Mita I said so in post 6. Thank you for trying to help though :) QLD is the forum default.

I have just been to the dog park and there was a whippet down there doing laps. It was beautiful to watch, so graceful but not for me. It is funny how we generalize about a breed or type of dog from knowing or seeing just one example. I just met two small loose dogs while taking my girl for a walk an hour ago and one of them attacked her. She was limping but I can't see anything. Hope she doesn't have a puncture wound though. They were not purebreds anything that I know, just two little scruffers who shouldn't have been loose.

I am in NSW near ACT.

So my recommendation about both the breeders associated with the Shetland Sheepdog Club of Qld & the Poodle Club of Qld would not be relevant.

Yes Mita I said so in post 6. Thank you for trying to help though :) QLD is the forum default.

Ah! I was happy there for a while, sars, thinking you'd have good people to advise you. :) But I'm sure others can point you to similar good folk in your own state (tho' you can duck into the ACT, too, it seems).

I second the cocker suggestion. Very trainable, easy to carry around, only downside is coat maintenance. My females are 11/12 kg and 12/13 kg. will fit in with what you want. Happy to lie around and love to please. I have one that's good on obedience, not so keen on tricks. The other heels beautifully off lead and is a horror on lead, loves tricks.

I have three Whippets with cats, livestock and have had Guinea pigs - which actually got tipped out of their house accidentally one day and they were bolting around the legs of my free Whippets. Mine are taught a recall from day dot, and taught leave it from day dot. One good roar from me and they both backed off and left me to catch piggies. The cats rule the roost and one in particular is tiny but they know if they push her she arcs up.

Whippets do need training but they can be very reliable.:)

Okay to clarify a little. I think Cavs although really cute are probably a little small. Border terriers are interesting though. I don't have a cat but my neighbour does. I don't know much about Havanese. I am located in NSW near the ACT.

eta I have just seen your post Kavik. I think Papillons are gorgeous too but they are too small. I am not a small dog person.

One of our Cavs 'Toby' has really long legs so not a small type cavalier. He's also a fantastic jumper ! smile.gif