Rottweilers

sheena

And this is the lazy Rottie. Dee easily clearing 600m. If she was after a cat, small dog, rabbit etc and not a dumbbell, she could clear 1 metre easily :doh:

RCSAJ2014-5162-ZF-6540-91295-1-003_zpse305da7d.jpg

The athletic one. Zeph is our escape artist. He can open it, go over it, go through it, or go under it, hence the 2 metre high fences and they are never left out in the yard when we are not home.

IMGP5623_zps222002d8.jpg

IMGP2907_zpse8b47d0a.jpg

IMGP2881_zps804b577f.jpg

So yes, given the right motivation, Rotties certainly can jump.

I really hope that your friend does a lot more research before the pup arrives, because they make absolutely crap outside only dogs. They like to be with their people, and they like to interact and use their brains.

Lovely dogs, grumpette...especially like the last photo with the bubbles. Unfortunately they are in rented premises which is probably why it has to be an outside dog. I have suggested maybe getting a small solar electric fence & running a hot wire around the top of the fence. the pup will have access to a covered in veranda type thing. Our fence where we have our BC's is only one meter high but it has a hot wire running around the top.

I agree with Grumpette and Allerzeit, some Rottis will jump fences and some won't. And whether they are trained to jump or not has little to do with it.

I have owned Rottweilers that were never trained nor asked to jump and yet scaled the yard fence regularly. And on the other hand I've trained Rottweilers to jump that would not dare even considering a 3' Bunnings panel let alone a 6' yard fence.

IMHO it is about training the dog from day one to be comfortable and confident in it's own company and to respect containment.

That said, personally I would not risk having a low fence. My dogs are way too important to me.

Sounds like a recipe for disaster :(

Edited by Starkehre

One of my girls would scare the local kids by jumping up to look over our 6' fence as they walked by - she would do it from a standing position, and her chest and shoulders were above the fence top. She never actually escaped the yard, but it definitely wasn't because she couldn't.

One of my boys wouldn't expend the energy to jump a fence, but he was known to occasionally go THROUGH a paling fence to visit our elderly neighbours and get treats... *sigh*

T.

One of my girls would scare the local kids by jumping up to look over our 6' fence as they walked by - she would do it from a standing position, and her chest and shoulders were above the fence top.

I think the breed has a particular talent for "boinging" :)

Most of ours will do the same - from a standing position, straight up so you can see over a fence.... Boing! Boing! Boing!

Definitely not. We have one at agility who can certainly jump :D

And would that be Puck, Denali or another of Tracey's dogs :)

:mad Some one else has a dog called PUCK?!?!?!! Noooooooooo! We need a tantrum emoticon here.

One of my girls would scare the local kids by jumping up to look over our 6' fence as they walked by - she would do it from a standing position, and her chest and shoulders were above the fence top.

I think the breed has a particular talent for "boinging" :)

Most of ours will do the same - from a standing position, straight up so you can see over a fence.... Boing! Boing! Boing!

It's too funny seeing the reactions from people on the other side of the fence, isn't it? Especially the naughty kids who like to bang on the fence to make the dogs bark... lol! They stop that pretty quick when a Rotti boings up and says hello...

T.

Thanks Sheena. My guys love bubbles and will spend hours chasing them, especially if kids are involved.

Renting can make dog ownership rather hard. We are renting, but have improved the fencing to contain the dogs, because we have farm animals and wildlife to protect. We have permission to have the dogs inside, as we are lucky to have a brick floor which is great.