Puppy Born With Brain Damage

I have a puppy that my bitch had & he was born slightly brain damaged the trouble I'm having is trying to toilet train him he just does not seem to get the gist of going outside like him mum does. Does anyone have any ideas of how I can get him to do this. I've tried paper training him but will niy go on paper will go right beside it. he has never been created either just wondering if that creating him will work n how do I do this? He is 14 weeks ATM very beautiful bubba love him to death just want to try n get him to do this one thing everything else we can cope with..

Who told you the puppy was slightly brain damaged? The puppy is still very young. Which breed are we talking about? Some breeds are known to be slower with house training than others.

Most of my dogs haven't been reliable with going outside to toilet until they were 15-16 weeks old.

Very few pups are house trained at that age>

Brain damage needs a proper assessment by a vet etc and even then it is very difficult to assess. Why do you think he is brain damaged?

What symptoms does he exhibit that lead you to think he is brain damaged?

Puppies, even from the same litter, vary tremendously in their rate of development and the time at which they exhibit certain competencies.

He is just a baby, a lot of mine have not been "clean" until they were much older than 14 weeks. Just keep plodding along and one day, it will "click" into place. Just don't get cross with him, just keep putting him out regularly and praising him if/when he does the right thing - smile and clean up the mess if he makes a mistake!

Edited by JRG

I'm interested in the diagnosis as well.

I'm assuming by 'brain damaged' you mean neurological problems rather than just a little spethal??

If he has exhibits; tremors, shakey or wobbly head, ataxia, suspected blindness, inability to stay upright, unable to walk in a straight line to a target, failure to hit milestones, dragging/knuckling over in the rear toes.... you need a professional diagnosis because at 14 weeks you're getting into the age where if something is going to get worse then it will really start to happen.

My 'spethal' boy took 2 years to learn how to sit. :laugh: If that's your problem it's just repeat and reward until it sticks. 14 weeks is still so young and if he grows up a little slow then you simply adjust your expectations and love them the way they are.

Did puppy have a difficult birth ?

What other problems do you notice re: learning ? Does he respond to you /know a name/play with toys /find his mum or you indoors ?

All I can suggest is that you make the toilet area large ... use fake grass instead of paper , maybe ? OR take him outside every 1/2 hr ..and play with him /feed a treat EVERY time he toilets , and ONLY then.... and , of couirse, you need to wait until he DOES toilet ;0

I guess you mean CRATE training ? Depending on his behaviour/amount of brain damage /your experience ..it is possibly not the ideal thing ...

I once worked with THE most gorgeous lab girl, who was brain damaged due to lack of oxygen at birth . Sarah loved everyone and everything ... didn't really remember much, and had a weird head tilt - and eventually made someone a great pet .

He has been diagnosed with brain damage by my vet. He was about 3 to 4 weeks behind his sister. His birth was very bad as he was breech and was stuck in the birth canal so was starved of oxygen at birth is how my vet described him. I adore him and his is not in trouble when he does it I try to catch him before he does it and take him outside but sometimes I don't catch him though :( he is a pug and very cute :)

Powerlegs he does have all those traits however he does respond to his name and sits when I ask him too this is why the vet suggests he only has a mild case. And we do love him just trying to help him along ????

Powerlegs he does have all those traits however he does respond to his name and sits when I ask him too this is why the vet suggests he only has a mild case. And we do love him just trying to help him along ????

:) Another Doler has a wonky doggie all grown up. I'll see if she can pop in.

Yep - wonky dog - that's me... well, that's Pickles anyways.

Pickles' issue is mainly mobility wonkiness - she has a scar in her brain that affects the feeling in her legs, and thusly walks like a marionette. Her cognitive function is not affected, but she's a stubborn little bitch at times... lol!

Pickles took some time to work out when she needed to wee or poo and that she also needed to go outside to do same. I basically left the back door open at all times, and she followed my older dogs out when they needed to go to the toilet - she worked it out eventually (by about 6 months of age), and now goes outside on her own to go to the toilet, but if the back door is shut, she will still eliminate in the house... *sigh*... she will be 5 in September...

The beautiful thing about owning a "special needs" dog is that they really don't know any different - it's all perfectly normal for them... lol!

T.

Yep - wonky dog - that's me... well, that's Pickles anyways.

Pickles' issue is mainly mobility wonkiness - she has a scar in her brain that affects the feeling in her legs, and thusly walks like a marionette. Her cognitive function is not affected, but she's a stubborn little bitch at times... lol!

Pickles took some time to work out when she needed to wee or poo and that she also needed to go outside to do same. I basically left the back door open at all times, and she followed my older dogs out when they needed to go to the toilet - she worked it out eventually (by about 6 months of age), and now goes outside on her own to go to the toilet, but if the back door is shut, she will still eliminate in the house... *sigh*... she will be 5 in September...

The beautiful thing about owning a "special needs" dog is that they really don't know any different - it's all perfectly normal for them... lol!

T.

I have a dog who is a bit "speshal" and despite being a greyhound (who are normally very clean and easy to toilet train), it was a real struggle to toilet train him. He finally picked it up when he was about a year old- we gave him a smaller space outside to toilet (rather than the whole backyard) and he eventually came to recognise that as his toilet spot. That said, he's still very prone to accidents and still has to be treated like a puppy in some respects (taken outside to toilet straight after meals and whenever he wakes up) because he sometimes seems to forget about his bladder until it's really urgent.