Work Commitments And Dogs

Jypsi

When we buy our new place (we are renting this one, hence the restrictions) we will have a few dog yards set up.

You're right. That's a good time to brainstorm how to cater for dogs, both when you're at home & when you're at work.

We did that when renovating across the back of the house. Made a big difference to the people's and the dogs' comfort & security.

When renting, or when finances are a bit low, it's then a case of working around what's there already.

I like threads on such issues as it's possible to pick up ideas from others who've done things differently. Ages ago, someone posted how to cheaply & easily make an upstairs toilet for dogs. Helped enormously after we found short-legged tibs couldn't get back up the stairs from a courtyard.

The beauty of it for us is that the house we want to buy is due for completion in Oct/Nov so will be a completely blank slate. We can choose the fencing layout etc to suit ourselves :)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see dog ownership as a competition to prove who is "best" or that its a once size fits all proposition.

Sharing ideas, trying out a few things to see what works and going with what works for you is what its all about for me. :shrug:

That blank slate's looking perfect, DC. You'll be pleased with the outcome from all the thought you'll put in. Hope you'll share the ideas when the time comes ...

Only mistake we made was to think our dogs would always have long legs! :)

I don't see dog ownership as a competition to prove who is "best" or that its a once size fits all proposition.

Sharing ideas, trying out a few things to see what works and going with what works for you is what its all about for me. :shrug:

Absolutely! Some awesome strategies have been suggested on this forum for various problems, doesn't mean they work for everyone. Would be a boring world if they did!

Ours are outside during the day, usually from about 8am to 5pm, Shelter is limited so I'm pretty sure they spend most of the day curled up in the kennel, during summer they have a particular spot in the dirt by the back gate that gets a workout.

We haven't had any complaints about barking although I'm pretty sure with Collie's limited sight he's getting a bit more vocal when it comes to strange noises but he's never at it for long.

And then there's the couple of minutes when he goes off his chop when we get home, still trying to figure out how to prevent that.

My dogs have always been out in the yard when I'm not at home. Since now only having the one who does not destroy everything, I'll sometimes.let her in if weather is bad. But now she is older she can't hold her bladder as long so usually she is outside.

I'm.in.maternity leave now, but when I go back we'll put baby gates to block the kitchen and a dog door so she can come and go - I just need to sort how to keep the cats from going out!

For those that leave their dogs outside how do you keep them warm (if not heavily coated)?

For the first time in years I am considering locking our two youngest dogs (both under 12months) outside or maybe in my grooming room when we're not home and leaving the older three inside, mainly because of toilet training issues.

I'm worried about the cold here since everyone is used to the heater running constantly although the younger two don't spend a lot of time in front of it.

For those that leave their dogs outside how do you keep them warm (if not heavily coated)?

For the first time in years I am considering locking our two youngest dogs (both under 12months) outside or maybe in my grooming room when we're not home and leaving the older three inside, mainly because of toilet training issues.

I'm worried about the cold here since everyone is used to the heater running constantly although the younger two don't spend a lot of time in front of it.

Invest in some nice warm insulated dog houses, filled with bedding and blankets, and put them somewhere off the ground if they don't come with legs (propped up on bricks), and undercover and away from wind if possible, like under a veranda (where people go, not under the foundations!!).

In my experience most dogs like their dog houses to be close to the back door.

Trampoline beds are also great for outdoors as it keeps them off the ground (warmer in winter, cooler in summer), when they don't want to go inside their dog houses.

Or you could just have a dog like mine who sits on top of his house...laugh.gif

Edited by LisaCC

Mine are medium coated, they have a cosy home built kennel and if they get clipped in winter they wear a jumper as well

Collie is never particularly phased by the cold, Sarah is surprisingly precious considering her past in a puppy farm

Maybe I'm being over precious, they have snooza trampoline beds on our decking by the backdoor, we have a solid timber kennel (our dogs have never used) might give it a paint and put that on the deck also and maybe leave their open crates in the grooming room with the door open.

I wish I could put jumpers on but they are both naughty and would pull them off each other or get half tangled up.

Weatherbeta dog costs and a choice of kennels.

I actually just put the cat run up and there was a little spot I could stick a kennel, I can never get her out of it now! She loves hanging with the cats.

Kennels all have the entry facing the house to stop the wind, I want another one for down the side of the house where we have a really narrow gap we can't do anything with, thinking this will be nice and cool for summer.

I also have 4 tramp beds in different locations in the yard so she can follow the sun when it's out.

My girls both stay outside when we are at work.

I only work 3 days a week though. When I'm not at work and need to go out for a few hours I leave them inside. They have access to a doggy door.

When they are outside they have access to a daybed and or a kennel under a large pergola which they both fit in.

We both work full time and are gone for approx. 12 hours per day, sometimes longer on Fridays.

We have a dog door and Kira can stay in the back yard which has an undercover pergola or come inside as far as the kitchen.

I don't feel guilty at all. I have to work and I'm not going to not have a dog so I do the best I can in my circumstances and I don't get hung up comparing what we do to what other people do. She gets walked and gets lots of attention when we get home and spends lots of time with us on the weekends.

When we had a puppy many moons ago family members helped up out by coming to do the midday feed.

How big is your dog door Malamum? Do you get worried that people could break in through it? I've considered it but I'm just a bit worried about anyone being able to fit through it. Thanks :)

We both work full time and are gone for approx. 12 hours per day, sometimes longer on Fridays.

We have a dog door and Kira can stay in the back yard which has an undercover pergola or come inside as far as the kitchen.

I don't feel guilty at all. I have to work and I'm not going to not have a dog so I do the best I can in my circumstances and I don't get hung up comparing what we do to what other people do. She gets walked and gets lots of attention when we get home and spends lots of time with us on the weekends.

When we had a puppy many moons ago family members helped up out by coming to do the midday feed.

How big is your dog door Malamum? Do you get worried that people could break in through it? I've considered it but I'm just a bit worried about anyone being able to fit through it. Thanks :)

If you were a burglar, would you go through a dog door of that size? Big door generally = very big dog.

I'm gone from 7am-6pm 9 days a fortnight and she goes in to the backyard. She sleeps, chases lizards and entertains herself. Once I'm home she's in with me all night. If I ever go out in the evening she's kept inside.

I'd happily give her a dog door as she's not destructo at all, but I've got indoor cats so it's not an option.

If you were a burglar, would you go through a dog door of that size? Big door generally = very big dog.

Yep, anyone jumping the fence (we have 6ft fences and padlocked gates) let alone crawling through the dog door would have a pretty unpleasant experience.

Oh, and I don't have a 'purpose built dog yard' either and am thus a failure as a dog owner.

Are you being serious Sheridan or are you just being facetious? :confused:

No one has even remotely implied that you are a failure as dog owner and that fact that others do things slightly different to you doesn't make it so either.

You've been around DOL for as long as I can remember and you've had dogs for years so I'm pretty sure you know what you are doing and are providing a safe and happy environment for your dogs. I'm not sure where all this self flagellation is coming from.

Partly facetious. I have noticed an increase in people saying that things like dog yards (as an example) are necessary these days and it's hardly representative of the main dog owning population. I think that DOLers seem to forget that the average person doesn't have and likely can't afford dog yards and pens and crates and every other accoutrement that many seem to think are necessary to owning a dog. I certainly can't afford a 'purpose built dog yard' and don't have the space for it even if I could.

Oh, and I don't have a 'purpose built dog yard' either and am thus a failure as a dog owner.

Are you being serious Sheridan or are you just being facetious? :confused:

No one has even remotely implied that you are a failure as dog owner and that fact that others do things slightly different to you doesn't make it so either.

You've been around DOL for as long as I can remember and you've had dogs for years so I'm pretty sure you know what you are doing and are providing a safe and happy environment for your dogs. I'm not sure where all this self flagellation is coming from.

Partly facetious. I have noticed an increase in people saying that things like dog yards (as an example) are necessary these days and it's hardly representative of the main dog owning population. I think that DOLers seem to forget that the average person doesn't have and likely can't afford dog yards and pens and crates and every other accoutrement that many seem to think are necessary to owning a dog. I certainly can't afford a 'purpose built dog yard' and don't have the space for it even if I could.

Ok fair enough. I personally don't believe that you have to do what the majority of DOLers do to be a good dog owner as to me DOLers probably represent the top 5% of dog owners so that still leaves a lot ways to do things that are still ok.

Dogs are not my hobby, I'm not into dog sports, I have no interest in breeding and I have no interest in owning a pack of dogs. 2 dogs would be my maximum and I just want them to be a part of our family and that is it.

I have absolutely no interest in having a custom built yard or pen or anything along those lines and it has nothing to do with cost or space, I just don't want that in my yard. Our set up works for us and I'm perfectly ok with that.

I'd take what everyone on an an internet forum says they do with a grain of salt and just go with what works for you. It's a bit like raising kids I guess, apart from the extreme bottom end where we are talking about neglect there are a thousand different ways to do things and just because they are different it doesn't make one wrong and one right.