Breed Recommendations

Hunbun

Hi! I am looking at getting a dog and would love some advice from more experienced dog people :)

•I'd like a larger dog as I feel pretty unsafe at home at night and also on walks. I live alone with two kids and this is pretty important.

•Would prefer a dog that is not too clingy, I'm ok with a dog following me around the house, but don't want the constant need for attention. So maybe a more independent breed would be better

•Good with kids - as in likes to play fetch and can handle some annoying kid behaviour. I will absolutely supervise the kids, but just in case.. One is school age, other one is kindy age

•Trainable - I'd like to do obedience training

• Hair - I have mild allergies, but react mostly to short/smooth haired dogs. Would prefer a dog that doesn't shed like crazy.

I have been looking at Giant Schnauzers, Black Russian Terriers, Bouviers mainly for the shedding factor, but would like more suggestions and also comments on those three breeds about how they meet my other requierments.

Thanks!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They are all serious dogs. In the wrong hands, they can be a nightmare. Perhaps something like a Bullmastiff or Great Dane might suit? I know the hair is wrong but can't think of any big, hairy large breeds that aren't full-on.

A Standard Shnauzer; Aierdale;or Portuguese Water dog would be well worth researching.

Keep in mind with very large breeds you do need to have enough strength to handle them particularly when they are in the adolescent stage and want to push the boundaries .

Have you owned dogs before.?

Yes you've chosen breeds that are sometimes considered 'too much dog' for someone wanting an easier pet.

If you feel unsafe, I'd also consider a dog that looks the part (as far as society defines it) but isn't necessarily going to act like a handful manstopper. And if you weren't allergic I'd suggest a sound, well bred Rottweiler raised with kids. I've heard Ridgeback are great but don't know enough about them.(?)

I find just the looks to be more important for putting off strangers, and the temperament to be utmost important as a family pet. You need a 2 in 1. :) Hope you get some good suggestions.

Those three breeds attracted me basically because of the size and low shedding factor. But they are also naturally protective dogs which I liked.

At the same time, I don't want to get in over my head. I'm small, short and light and while I don't think I'm that weak, it is something I have been wondering about as well..

I do like the idea of doing lots of work with the dog and putting in the time, but the reality is that I have two small children.

I grew up with dogs, but I haven't owned my very own dog. I have fostered a few dogs though. And that's my next step, fostering a larger dog to see how we all cope.

I did think about a standard poodle, but I have heard mixed opinions about their personalities? What are they really like?

Bernese is one of my favourite dogs and I also love all the gsd and belgian shepherd varietis, but I don't know how I'd go with the hair..

I will obviously need to meet a few suitable breeds irl before I make a decision. And I'm not in a rush either, this is just the start of research :)

Rotties - I do like them and they definitely look scary :D But the hair is a problem. Even tiny smooth haired dogs make me itchy..

What are Airedales like personality wise? Only terriers I have experience with are toy foxies and I can't say I like them.

I find just the looks to be more important for putting off strangers, and the temperament to be utmost important as a family pet. You need a 2 in 1. :) Hope you get some good suggestions.

I agree, people cross the road when this big black gumnut comes walking down the street. Little do they know...

v6b7ztb.jpg

*ahem (flame suit on)* This seems like the kind of situation for which people may want to develop a med/large, non-shedding breed with a family pet temperament... just saying.

Hunbun, I'll send you a private msg :)

Except if they look like a teddybear they aren't exactly going to put people off :laugh:

I agree, people cross the road when this big black gumnut comes walking down the street. Little do they know...

v6b7ztb.jpg

:rofl: Such a scary dog.

People seriously do! Kids scream, women cross the road and one bogan guy asked if he was a good pigger, uhhh. If you mean snuggling with them he would be most excited!

One pizza guy won't deliver to our house now after Gus slipped between his legs and got into his car...we called him back and he came back in but the guy POOPED himself. On the upside, we haven't been broken into? Haha.

*ahem (flame suit on)* This seems like the kind of situation for which people may want to develop a med/large, non-shedding breed with a family pet temperament... just saying.

Hunbun, I'll send you a private msg :)

Except if they look like a teddybear they aren't exactly going to put people off :laugh:

Get a black one, with a big bark! :D