Two Men Posing As Hume Council Workers

*Avanti*

I did a check and couldn't see this posted elsewhere. Maybe it should be posted in General as well to warn people?

I saw it on the television news and the men were impostors wearing Hume Council jackets and a vehicle made to look like it was the Council's. :confused:

Two men posing as Hume Council workers try to seize dog from Roxburgh Park house

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/north-west/two-men-posing-as-hume-council-workers-try-to-seize-dog-from-roxburgh-park-house/story-fnrvvn43-1227453459852

TWO men posing as council workers have tried to seize a labrador from a home in Melbourne’s north. Police are investigating an incident in Roxburgh Park on Saturday where two men dressed in Hume Council clothing knocked on a man’s front door and demanded he hand over his two-year-old dog, Jax. The pair arrived in a white van believed to be carrying Hume Council branding.

Council’s acting director of city infrastructure David Fricke said the man refused to hand over the dog and contacted council. “The offenders allegedly said the council had received complaints and they continued to insist that the man surrender his dog,” he said. Hume Council reported the matter to Victoria Police, who is investigating.

Jax’s owner Onur said the signage on the van and uniforms “was pretty dodgy”. “It looks like they went to a lot of effort … but they didn’t know what they were doing.”

When the men couldn’t produce papers or a warrant, Onur demanded they leave his property. “It’s a bit of a shock. They sort of did look the part but I didn’t quite ask (for identification).”

He said he had no idea why the men had targeted his home, but admits dog fights and on-selling had crossed his mind. “He’s a very smart, expensive dog,” Onur said. “(If he’d been seized) I would have been like Liam Neeson in Taken.”

Mr Fricke said council used branded vehicles only to monitor parking, not for animal control. He urged people to always check the identity of a person who claims to be a council worker.

“Every time a council officer knocks on a door they will provide the resident with ID and give details on why they have attended,” he said.

Hume mayor Adem Atmaca said it was the first time someone had “gone to the trouble of actually dressing in navy uniforms to look like an officer”. He said the council would never send out officers without prior letters or phone calls. “We don’t know why (the dog was) targeted,” he said. “I think it’s a really low act. “Pets are part of families.”

Cr Atmaca credited the owner for using common sense and asking the men to produce ID, which they couldn’t provide, and has urged others to be vigilant.

Anyone with information is urged to call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or Hume Council on 9205 2200.

Edited, minor correction.

Edited by LabTested

I still think it's bullshit. This exact same story was circulating on FB over a week ago, but in that story it was Casey Council. Why would anyone go to all that trouble over a Labrador? If dog fighters want bait dogs or BYB want breeding dogs, all they have to do is check Gumtree or FB buy and sell pages etc.

I still think it's bullshit. This exact same story was circulating on FB over a week ago, but in that story it was Casey Council. Why would anyone go to all that trouble over a Labrador? If dog fighters want bait dogs or BYB want breeding dogs, all they have to do is check Gumtree or FB buy and sell pages etc.

Do you think the guy on the news made it up?

Yes Dame Aussie, I think the guy with the Lab is full of it. I think the FB story is crap too. It's just scare mongering. As I said, if people wanted free dogs there are a thousand easier ways than to get council signs and uniforms made, find a common breed of dog (Lab or AmStaff) and then approach the owner.

I have no idea if true or not.

I'm a non-tech person, but if I'd thought the uniforms & van signage looked dodgy....as this bloke said....I'd have whipped out my mobile & taken photos of the men, the van & any documents they waved. It's amazing how fast people doing dodgy things back-pedal when they might be caught on camera. Then, if the incident happened, there'd be evidence for the police. Especially as bloke said he'd have gone into Liam Neeson style if his dog was taken .... the first vital clue in 'Taken' came from a mobile phone.

Edited by mita

I'm actually suspicious of Hume. They've got a long history of seizing dogs and bullying and intimidating owners in to surrendering, and enforcing current BSL laws anywhere they can. That dog has a very blocky head. It would not surprise me one bit if officers had tried to bully the owner in to surrendering and then council backtracked and not admitting it....

Edited by melzawelza