How Many Times Has Your Dog Escaped?

samoyedman

I got home once to find the dogs sitting at the open gateway! Someone had obviously gone in and also gone right into my mudroom as that door was open too. There were fingerprints on the window sill!

Was pretty impressed the dogs were just sitting inside the garden.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine escaped once, not sure how, but one ran straight to grandmas house (they lived close by back then) and the other sat at the front door and growled at anyone trying to put her back! Luckily we got a call from grandma about her little visitor so I rushed home and reinstated them behind the fence ????

In 2006 Mac got out - twice. Human error both times. One morning I let Mac out the back for a wee as usual and jumped in the shower. Next thing there's someone banging at the front door who had Mac in his arms and said 'Lost something'? The lawn man had left the side gate open and Mac was down playing in the morning traffic on Fullarton Road. eek1.gif I almost had a heart attack as I didn't even realise he'd gone. eek1.gif This really nice man saw him, stopped his car and grabbed and returned him. The lawn man got the sack.

The second time he got out - not sure how - some neighbours down the street grabbed him as he trotted up the street this time and put him inside and then went looking for his owner - they saw me with a lead - and I retrieved him from on top of their coffee table!! (I explained he was a puppy farm rescue who still needed to learn some manners!). I then installed a second locked gate down the side and it didn't happen again.

Fast forward to earlier this year - I still have a double gate system in the new house - and while I was at work apparently the builders managed to leave both side gates open after being specifically told to be careful. Apparently there was a mad panic as they chased both Sarah and Andy in opposite directions. Andy was heading for Fullarton Road - but being a woozy, he got scared and let himself get caught. They retrieved Sarah from the opposite cross street. I only found out days later - which was probably a good thing.

Edited by westiemum

A few times when they were young and we were sorting out a few teething issues with the new fence.

Indy's first escape was when we just had the fence built and it seems there was a hole next to a rock he could squeeze through. We came home to find him sitting on the front verandah wanting back inside. He would have only been about 4 months old so we were very lucky nothing happened to him.

His other escape was when unbeknownst to me the OH had left the garage door up while he popped out and also left the internal door to the garage open so Indy took himself for a nice stroll down the street. I was home but oblivious and just assumed he was in the house or yard somewhere. Luckily the guy across the road saw him wander past and came and knocked on the door to tell us. He didn't get far before I bought him back.

On Kira's first day of being left home alone with Indy we discovered that there was another hole in the fence that was too small for Indy to get through but it was just big enough for her. Luckily it only took her into the neighbours backyard and she spent the day with them until we got home.

The final escape was a joint adventure when an 18th birthday party behind our place got out of control and some douchebag teenager kicked two of our fence palings in. They stayed in the yard overnight but in the morning they both squeezed through and took themselves down the street and into the bush. I was away at the time but the OH said they weren't too hard to find. They stuck together and then got in the car when they realised they were in big trouble.

...and how did they managed to do it?

Happened to me for the first time in 9 years. Bloody idiot I am. Left the gate open. :-(

Got a note on my door from a lovely neighbour who brought him home.

Zero - thank goodness! I don't think we'd have a chance in hell of catching him if he did get out (malamute, so busy all the time!). We try to give him street smarts, and take him for frequent sniffs around the front yard so he knows where home is. He used to not want to step out of the yard without his lead on - partner would lead him by his collar to bring him to the car, and used to have to carry him (30kg dog!) because he wouldn't leave the carport! Funny dog!