Pod Tracker

Tempus Fugit

...continuous tracking??? ...that's a little bit misleading as it requires mobile phone coverage - without Optus or Vodafone coverage no information about the location of the pod (and the pet attached to it). It doesn't work like a SPOT messenger or DeLorme inReach that informs you about the location independent from mobile phone coverage.

...you could use your old mobile phone (as long as it has GPS), put it in a freezer bag, tie it to the collar and you got the same functionality (with the advantages that you are not bound to a specific mobile network provider and that you can use a prepaid sim card...ok., doesn't look so fancy...now use 'Location Finder' and you know where the phone / pet is...

2G network coverage? I thought that was being phased out? It doesn't say if you have to pay the phone company for the sim either. Some of the trackers had done some sort of deal where the phone company gets a one off payment and supports the sim for data for the life of the product. Ie pets don't use a lot of data.

Might be different if it had a camera attached.

It would be good for people with escape artist dogs or dogs that get let out by tradesmen or meter readers.

...you could use your old mobile phone (as long as it has GPS), put it in a freezer bag, tie it to the collar and you got the same functionality (with the advantages that you are not bound to a specific mobile network provider and that you can use a prepaid sim card...ok., doesn't look so fancy...now use 'Location Finder' and you know where the phone / pet is...

:thumbsup: Then the dog could "phone home" :laugh:

2G network coverage? I thought that was being phased out? It doesn't say if you have to pay the phone company for the sim either. Some of the trackers had done some sort of deal where the phone company gets a one off payment and supports the sim for data for the life of the product. Ie pets don't use a lot of data.

Might be different if it had a camera attached.

It would be good for people with escape artist dogs or dogs that get let out by tradesmen or meter readers.

...first year is free respectively included in the $249, the following years cost you $49 per (they teamed up with vodaphone and optus), pretty steep considering that you can get an ALDI prepaid starter kit for $5 which does the same job...the $5 last the whole year as long as you don't use it for calls and only to locate the phone via a location finder app.

Edited by Willem

:thumbsup: Then the dog could "phone home" :laugh:

...it will be tricky to teach him to take the call, but you could train him for a specific ring tone to come home :D

idk, a battery you have to remember to change every week? simcard reliant? subscription?

Hmmmm.

(Can't judge too much though, still waiting on the crowd bluetooth trackr bravo to arrive)

Ah!

That's the one I was talking about.

Forgive my laziness / ignorance - what's the difference?

I'd be interested in one which let me check in and make sure he was still in the yard and I suppose track him if he P'eed off at the park (not that he's ever do that :rofl: /sarcasm).

idk, a battery you have to remember to change every week? simcard reliant? subscription?

Hmmmm.

(Can't judge too much though, still waiting on the crowd bluetooth trackr bravo to arrive)

Ah!

That's the one I was talking about.

Forgive my laziness / ignorance - what's the difference?

I'd be interested in one which let me check in and make sure he was still in the yard and I suppose track him if he P'eed off at the park (not that he's ever do that :rofl: /sarcasm).

Damned if I know! No sim card, it uses bluetooth and piggy backs off phones nearby who also use it? There was a app map which shows active areas. If your missing dog goes past one of those it sends a message to your phone. And if you have a group of ppl with it all active on the phone it can increase search range. Good for in the city, useless in remote areas I would think. But a more affordable option compared to the gps radio ones...

I think target will be selling them soon? I'm waiting so long because they're really slow at posting and I got it custom water proof covering and mobile engraving.

I'm optimistic.

...Damned if I know! No sim card, it uses bluetooth and piggy backs off phones nearby who also use it? There was a app map which shows active areas. If your missing dog goes past one of those it sends a message to your phone. And if you have a group of ppl with it all active on the phone it can increase search range. Good for in the city, useless in remote areas I would think. But a more affordable option compared to the gps radio ones...

I think target will be selling them soon? I'm waiting so long because they're really slow at posting and I got it custom water proof covering and mobile engraving.

I'm optimistic.

...make sure that it doesn't consume much of your data allowances...not sure about the details of the app, but if it sends automatically a message from your mobile phone every time you pass a tracker that is linked to this network it might come not cheap...

...Damned if I know! No sim card, it uses bluetooth and piggy backs off phones nearby who also use it? There was a app map which shows active areas. If your missing dog goes past one of those it sends a message to your phone. And if you have a group of ppl with it all active on the phone it can increase search range. Good for in the city, useless in remote areas I would think. But a more affordable option compared to the gps radio ones...

I'm optimistic.

...make sure that it doesn't consume much of your data allowances...not sure about the details of the app, but if it sends automatically a message from your mobile phone every time you pass a tracker that is linked to this network it might come not cheap...

Not that kind of message! What I mean is, my understanding, is missing dog goes past a phone with the app (100ft) and the dog will connect to that random persons phone. That persons phone and app connect to the general crowd and notifies the app that bravo 564664774 was at X/y coordinates.

Then since my app is attached to bravo 564664774 I get a push notification (not a text) that puppy was spotted at X/y

I think you need to select it's lost and also have notifications enabled. Otherwise yeah every time I go home I'd get a notification.

...not sure whether we are on the same page; my understanding is that the network they advertise can only work if the users 'allow' the usage of their data for this purpose. The tracker it self is only Bluetooth, if a tracker (used for dogs, to find keys, bags, boxes...luggage etc. etc.) is in a distance where your mobile phone can pick it up via Bluetooth, the coordinates (of your phone) will be sent to the owner of the tracker (directly or via a server? - doesn't matter, both will consume data) using your data allowances. If you are in a busy city on a main street you might come close to 1,000 (? - not sure how popular this device really is) foreign trackers requesting data to be sent. I'm sure there are some settings to restrict this, but if everyone restricts the data usage the whole network won't work...

I don't think we are on the same page lol.

The only data usage would be the wifi the app uses to share info, which I assume would be minuscule. Much less than something like Facebook. everything else is Bluetooth. And you're using your own phone, no need to buy another sim and credit?

But I don't have full understanding of the details, somewhere on here may answer your question?

https://www.thetrackr.com/tech-specs

I've had the app running the past month, although do not have a linked device yet, just to help out others with crowd gps