Five-Year-Old Girl Was Bitten By Dog Inside Bunnings Store

Two Best Dogs!

For those of you who are saying you wouldn't take your dogs to Bunnings or see why others should, you don't live out of town do you?

Some of us do however and sometimes we have our dogs with us and it gets bloody hot. So yes, I will take my very well trained dog into Bunnings so it doesn't die in the heat and yes I also expect parents to control their children the way I control my dogs. Fair is fair.

I do.

I'd leave the Bunnings trips for a day I had no dogs with me.

It's not that I don't trust my dogs. I don't trust people to behave appropriately, and to supervise their kids. Bunnings makes for distraction.

It's for my dogs' safety that I leave them at home.

5 hour round trip for me to go to bunnings and I rarely make the trip to the city unless I've got dogs with me (trialling, etc.). Separate trip sans dogs is not likely.

I'm often cautious when dealing with other people's dogs around mine when I have no choice (vet waiting rooms can be a nightmare!) so the thought of dodging them in bunnings is not fun. I know my dogs and I know they'd handle the atmosphere and experience well but I've had "friendly" dogs attack mine (and the other owner blame my dog while theirs had my submissive girl pinned to the ground) so I have little faith in the average dog owner. It would take me forever to shop as I would rather avoid meetings with random dogs in the confined space of a shopping aisle.

I really hope they don't change their policy back though. It's great to have the option there if needed. I fear though that it will be short lived, not only because of incidents like this one but because people are irresponsible. There will be dogs peeing on shelves and merchandise, breaking things, chewing stuff, etc. A minority will ruin it for the majority that would do the right thing.

Edited by kdf

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My dogs are fine and I know they're safe with children however yes, I do expect people to have their children under control because that's the responsible thing to do.

And yes, it's true that children take longer to mature but their parents are mature and if they aren't able to keep an eye on their children then the same argument can be used for the dogs. Why are they there?

It's a two hour round trip for me to go anywhere so I won't apologise for needing to combine a few errands when I need too.

This thread just reminds me of why I am so desperate to move away from this backwards country....

It's illegal to leave your children home alone but not your dog.

Really? I had no idea.....

You can always get someone to watch the kids.

Look I'm just throwing back the same silly things people are throwing at me. I am fully aware of the fact that it's illegal to keep children at home, unsupervised at a certain age. That is not an excuse however to have badly behaved children who aren't under control in a public space.

I feel exactly the same way about dogs. Train in to be polite and under control in public or don't bring it out.

It's very simple.

...'Madelyn had attempted to pat the dog before she was told not to, and it is when she walked away from the Jack Russell that it bit her, Ms Hungerford explained....'

...that's a quote from here My link ...

and what's with this? from the same link

"Ms Hungerford said her daughter is at home recovering from the bite today.

'She can't go to kinder so she's is a little upset,' she told 3AW."

of course she could have gone to kinder, she has a sore knee, nothing more.

Yep. girl made mistake, girl got a nip, girl learned her lesson. Hopefully owner did too. Both at fault. Not a big story. Social media, please move on.

...'Madelyn had attempted to pat the dog before she was told not to, and it is when she walked away from the Jack Russell that it bit her, Ms Hungerford explained....'

Poor kid could be really shaken up, you never know. Physical injury isn't the only worry.

Well, doesn't the media love a good dog bite story!

Masters (another large hardware store) has never had a ban on pets. Same as lots of other stores. The only difference is that Bunnings used to ban pets and now they have lifted that ban. All those that think this is so terrible should have been petitioning Masters, Lincraft, pet supply stores etc long ago.

People are responsible for far more attacks on children than dogs. Perhaps the answer is to ban people from Bunnings?

The Bunnings story is playing loudly on social media.

Smartest thing I've heard on it was this - it SHOULDN'T be a dogs v kids argument. It's about knowledge and supervision.

So making it into a tribal war means that an opportunity is lost to educate and encourage dog owners and parents to do the right thing. Surely that's what, as dog lovers, we all want?

Some children have special needs and are difficult to supervise. I love my dogs but I have no desire to take them to Bunnings because I know that something untoward might happen. At home they have a secure yard where they can be left safely.

Some dogs are fine with unpredictable kids, including kids who don't behave according to the rule book. If I took our IW into a store, I know he'd be fine - you can't take an IW out in public without the whole world wanting to say hello anyway. A couple of our other dogs I would avoid putting in that position. If I had to, just like the vet waiting room, I'd have my own radar on and act accordingly to avoid a problem just as we all do when we walk our dogs in public. This is an issue of education, if all dogs stay home then no-one learns anything and the dogs have a pretty narrow and sad life. Edited because I can't punctuate or spell today.

Edited by SkySoaringMagpie

Poor kid could be really shaken up, you never know. Physical injury isn't the only worry.

Too true.

A long time ago when I was a morning jogger, one morning an elderly GR was lying on the footpath ahead. Naturally, I stopped running, started to talk to him and walked past him. As I did, he leapt up and latched onto my leg around my knee. I don’t recall that he broke the skin, but he sure gave me a hell of a fright, but the point I want to make is that my leg came out in some very impressive colours and bruises. Would be very scary situation for a 5 year old girl.

Masters (another large hardware store) has never had a ban on pets. Same as lots of other stores. The only difference is that Bunnings used to ban pets and now they have lifted that ban. All those that think this is so terrible should have been petitioning Masters, Lincraft, pet supply stores etc long ago.

People are responsible for far more attacks on children than dogs. Perhaps the answer is to ban people from Bunnings?

arnie-levin-i-just-heard-some-interesting-news-the-world-is-going-to-the-dogs-new-yorker-cartoon.jpg

:thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

stock-photo-australian-shepherd-standing-on-hind-legs-and-pushing-a-shopping-cart-with-dogs-against-white-117850624.jpg

...just a side note: Bunnings do deliveries too, of course this cost extra, but you also save on your own fuel; yes, I can understand that this is not an option for everyone and will also depend on where you live, but it can be also quite convenient (I just got some 3.6 m yellow tongue boards delivered and it would have been a PIA if I had to get them on the car / trailer by myself - in this case the delivery was just $50, but saved me at least $25 in fuel too).

LOL those pics :rofl:

I was one who was excited to hear Bunnings allowed dogs. My girl is very well behaved in public, she occasionally goes with me into shops that do allow dogs, she is also very good in busy, stressful situations, and yes I agree if your dog cannot cope with busy situations perhaps they should not go to Bunnings with you. However I do feel children need to be educated more!!! So many times we have been rushed by out of control children, for example one time we were making our way through crowds and a child ran about 200 meters away from his parents, up behind us and smacked my girl hard as you like on her bum! She jumped about a mile into the air and I got a good scare too, no warning as we did not see him sprinting up behind us through the throngs of people. Kid sped away laughing and all his dad said was "Oi!" Have had incidents like this with children (and even adults!) on multiple occasions and I am very lucky my girl is very steady and will not bite but frankly I could hardly blame her, or any other dog, if they did bite! Kids need to learn that dogs are not their toys, and just because a seemingly well-behaved dog is at a place where one would assume they are friendly (be it Bunnings, pet expos, or parks) does not mean you can just run up and pat them. Don't touch things that don't belong to you, period!

I have not yet taken my girl to Bunnings, I rarely go and usually only to pick up something quick like weedkiller, but if she did have to come with me she will be wearing her training harness that clearly says 'Do not pet', and I would avoid taking her if I had a choice even though I know she is bombproof. I no longer trust the general public and especially not their children. :mad

It's funny because you are both making claims that the dog owner did.

Dog area TICK

Dog on restrained TICK

No history of aggression TICK

Child went up to unknown dog....mmmmmmm

No doubt the owner won't be doing this again and has more idea as to how the dog reacts but you don't go up to strange dogs. Seriously this probably wouldn't have happened if the kid kept on walking!

Kids dont keep on walking .Even when they are the best kids and the most well educated kids sometimes do stuff they shouldnt. If I want to have to watch out for where the dogs are to grab a screw driver Id rather not go.