Bleeding Tail

glenys

I hope someone can help me with this problem. I have a boxer with a full tail. He has somehow injured the tip resulting in lots of bleeding. He has had 2 courses of antibiotics and anti-inflammatories and the wound healed. I glued a hair curler to his tail to protect the tip yet let air in. All was going well but within a 24 hr period the wound is moist and raw again. I live in the tropics so he is back inside with the air con whilst I come up with another plan-this has been going on for 8 weeks and I am at a loss as to what to do next. The vet says I should consider amputation. Nooooo I also used a piece of pipe insulation but it was too hot.

I just googled 'happy tail' out of interest, to see a few new ideas, I've heard of the curler etc but there is this one where the tail is tucked up under their body. Interesting and you just have to keep an eye on toileting.

But yep, i'd say personally if it just becomes a miserable condition for both dog and owner, amputation isn't the worst thing. :)

Why would you glue the hair roller ,when we used the rollers they where never glued and didn't gave any issues .Will say after trying many things the only option left was removing the damaged area ,healed quickly and dog was happy.

You can try vet wrapping the end to buffer the hitting but it will always Redamage the tip

• 2 weeks later...

My English Setter injured the end of his tail and we tried for months to get it to heal. Eventually we had to amputate because the skin further up his tail was starting to be affected by the constant bandaging.

He looks a bit strange now because he carries his tail straight up like a flag pole but he seems happy enough.