Must Take Camera

persephone

reminder to self !

NEVER walk out the house without camera ...

This morning - early-ish , I went outside ..and was a bit bemused as to why the porch wasn't full of lanky ,hungry, bouncing pups .

Glanced across the track running alongside the house, and about 60 mtrs away noticed the usual complement of roos trying to graze on remaining dry and prickly vegetation .

THEN I noticed pups lying/sitting amongst the roos!!! Such a calm scene - I hardly believed it for a second grin emoticon

When I called, the pups all came racing back for breakfast ... and the roos just remained where they were ...

The Boss has seen them there as well- he thinks they do it every morning - spend time with the roos ....

Most odd .

*sigh*

there is always something .....

That is so very cool. It is for this reason that PJs should have pockets, so at least you have your phone camera on you when drinking the morning coffee on the veranda.

Pers your place always sounds amazing. Even when at it's driest during summer.

Yes, the harsh reality of bush living is difficult. Dust, flies, isolation, drought, death of livestock, distance required to travel anywhere, lack of provisions and the bloody hard work required just to earn a living.

But for some reason I am drawn to the space, the peace, the magical moments created by the wildlife and the dogs, the proximity to the river, the opportunity/necessity to think laterally and problem solve.

I know it is not easy, but prefer the country to the city.

That would have made an amazing photo!

In my youth we had a Boxer when I grew up on property (only dog) and she would often carry her bone out into the paddock and sit amongst the cows while chewing it. :laugh: I guess company is company in the end :)

to give you an idea of what a lot of the paddocks around here are starting to look like ....it's no wonder the roos and rabbits have decimated most green things around the houses ..(not trees , yet!:) ) the green bushes pictured are a 'last resort' eat ..the leaves are strongly aromatic ..very coarse, and taste strong .

12346303_10153353438844007_2826675803999262030_n.jpg?oh=854bb4d7d2e6f7c56add8853496be13e&oe=56DB4907&__gda__=1457668697_d9ab065838f08b676ef8c1635055715a

Wow, that is really dry. I hope you get some rain soon!

and a

:( we only have a couple hundred sheep at present - but next week we are selling everything but a couple of dozen breeding ewes and their lambs .The first time in many years we have had to sell off sheep ... I was always proud that our sheep were born here, and , unless eaten by us , they would die here , in their own patch .... No , they are not pets - but I am dreading the day when they will be made to clamber onto the truck :( :(

apologies ...

but it is to combat these down times that I focus on the quirky, and the fun ... (literally focus ;) )

12196033_10153295415534007_4990842919360727505_n.jpg?oh=28d1776911204a294f8707a4bfe4c0da&oe=56D3E9BC&__gda__=1457406369_3bfa541ba9e4affe8b3c350efc6fffd9

Wow, that is really dry. I hope you get some rain soon!

and a

:( we only have a couple hundred sheep at present - but next week we are selling everything but a couple of dozen breeding ewes and their lambs .The first time in many years we have had to sell off sheep ... I was always proud that our sheep were born here, and , unless eaten by us , they would die here , in their own patch .... No , they are not pets - but I am dreading the day when they will be made to clamber onto the truck :( :(

apologies ...

but it is to combat these down times that I focus on the quirky, and the fun ... (literally focus ;) )

12196033_10153295415534007_4990842919360727505_n.jpg?oh=28d1776911204a294f8707a4bfe4c0da&oe=56D3E9BC&__gda__=1457406369_3bfa541ba9e4affe8b3c350efc6fffd9

Pers would a feed or hay drive help out?

And never apologise for your sense of humour or coping mechanisms. :hug:

We could buy hay , for sure ..however the roos & rabbits would also demolish it ...and it would need to be ongoing .

our sheep are a motley lot - certainly not worth much ..most of them are ancient, and many have not enough teeth left to chew anything hard ....it's sentiment .It costs a lot to keep sheep fed properly , and really, unless they are of excellent breeding, and/or capable of repaying the cost - well...

This way at least we have an enforced 'cull'..and only keep the best/strongest . In a year or so - there will be young ones to take pride in :)

Thanks for the ideas :)

that much for feral rabbits??? Sheesh !

our dogs barely chase them these days ... shooting bunnies commercially is one awful lot of expense and work , and requires all sorts of health dep't rules etc to be followed . A lot of folks used to do it - but it's just all too hard and expensive to set up now :(

My butcher told me $28/kg and you have to buy the whole rabbit... ouch!

T.

That must be for farmed rabbit?

One of the guys at our local rural store shoots rabbits by request on customers' properties and sells them specifically as pet food for $6.50 each.

Sorry to hear you have to destock, persephone, that is just heartbreaking!