Adding Bone To Raw

juice

I have been feeding my dogs raw for a few years now , roo meat and VANS , liver, ( once a week sardines and eggs too.) Thats the main meal .

For brekky they get a couple of chicken feet each.

The problem is for the third time Bonn has tried to swallow them whole, been sick , and is now flat again ( been to vets for jab to make her feel better and on zantac).

I used to feed necks, wings, but she swallowed them whole too, the vet suggested lamb shanks?

Is there a safe way to get bone into her diet, or should i just give up?

She has also had several bouts of pancreatis so i need something not fatty.

Edited by juice

I bought frozen lamb necks i think yesterday, they were pretty huge and it took her an hour to eat. i wanted something a bit quicker than that for brekky as she is food aggro and keeping her shut in garage that long is a pita as i need to work in there and walk through.

could i just feed a frame a couple of times a week? and not everyday.

I bought frozen lamb necks i think yesterday, they were pretty huge and it took her an hour to eat. i wanted something a bit quicker than that for brekky as she is food aggro and keeping her shut in garage that long is a pita as i need to work in there and walk through.

could i just feed a frame a couple of times a week? and not everyday.

I feed dry predominantly (plus eggs, sardines, yoghurt and all sorts of yummy stuff) and frames 2-3 nights for dinner. Why not feed the slow eating things at night and just give her a small, quick breakfast - raw or dry. Check the poo - you can quickly tell if you're feeding too much or too little bone although it's not an exact science lol

Edited by The Spotted Devil

Turkey wings are obviously heaps bigger so they might be harder to swallow? I just used to buy from Woolworths so easy to get hold of.

I did stop feeding them after Poppy kept chucking up bone. Other people seem to have no problems but thought I would mention that.

I feed lamb soup chunks a fair bit. Not super cheap but they do get eaten fairly quickly. I need bones that get eaten quickly and not left around as Amber can't have them.

Turkey necks... providing you have a feel of the bag & get the big ones. I find this time of the year (Christmas) they all seem to be not much bigger than a large chicken neck, but they are usually so big that I have to chop them in half for my guys. Sometimes I feed them straight out of the freezer.

We feed roo tails (very lean and takes them forever to eat) or lamb brisket, chicken frames, turkey wings. We used to feed beef brisket but had a few issues with pancreatitis so don't anymore.

Be careful with feeding too many necks (from any animal) as it contains all the thyroid tissue. We have a dog here who became hyperthyroid from eating neck tissue (he was the only dog on that meat as he can't tolerate roo meat like the others). His thyroid returned to normal when we changed his meat but unfortunately it has caused irreversible damage to his heart.

Edited by DeltaCharlie

If you are concerned about the dog swallowing bones and not chewing them, you can still get the bone component by feeding pet grade mince that is the whole carcass including bones, just minced.

I'm lucky that I can feed any bones to my dog. He gets bits of turkey, chicken, duck, goat, lamb, beef, roo as well as large whole fish heads.

If I couldn't feed him the whole bones I would definitely use minced whole carcass for the bone nutrition.

The roo i feed is petgrade mince, so does that mean it already has bone in it?

I'm sure i tried to find turkey necks before and couldn't get them anywhere, will look again. Lots of good ideas , thanks! :thumbsup:

You would have to ask your supplier,but I have only seen chicken and turkey pet grade mince with bone included. I guess the bigger and harder the bones of the animal the harde it would be to mince the whole lot.

The roo i feed is petgrade mince, so does that mean it already has bone in it?

I'm sure i tried to find turkey necks before and couldn't get them anywhere, will look again. Lots of good ideas , thanks! :thumbsup:

There are some Steggles Factory shops in NSW... Steggles Factory Shopswhere you can buy the turkey necks wholesale. Non near me, unfortunately, so I have to buy mine from Woolies.

Will check with my supplier about the mince. There is a Steggles near me, so thats great! :thumbsup:And i just checked my suppliers page and they do have turkey necks!

Edited by juice