See I Am Not Lying Or Wrong!

OSoSwift

Oh and if they do get dispatched don't chop their heads off without inflicting severe brain damage as they register pain and are fully aware for up to around 20 minutes. So to just chop off their heads is cruel and unnecessary.

Oh and if they do get dispatched don't chop their heads off without inflicting severe brain damage as they register pain and are fully aware for up to around 20 minutes. So to just chop off their heads is cruel and unnecessary.

So I know with fish - that a spike to the brain behind the eye - is supposed to dispatch them quickly and humanely. With cane toads and cray fish - you're supposed to put them in the freezer...

What is the best safe way to humanely dispatch a snake? Cut head off and then cave it in with a sledge hammer?

Yeah thats a good question Mrs RB - what is the best safest and most humane way to dispatch a snake? My first inclination would be to bash its head in with a shovel but there might be better ways of doing it which are safer for me and more humane for the snake?

Edited by westiemum

I don't like cats around my yard either. They kill the native birds. So I go out with my shovel and chop the cat's head off. Sometimes they don't die straight away and thrash around so I smash them again with a shovel. Stray cats are a pest so it's OK to despatch them.

Edited by *kirty*

I don't like cats around my yard either. They kill the native birds. So I go out with my shovel and chop the cat's head off. Sometimes they don't die straight away and thrash around so I smash them again with a shovel. Stray cats are a pest so it's OK to despatch them.

Kirty you made me lol.

I don't like strange humans in my yard either, they scare me so I like to dispatch them the same way. Humans, especially some are real pests.

Snake Catcher said to inflict severe brain damage. I use a long piece of poly pipe, it is quick as I don't like anything to suffer.

Kirty you are being facitious, cats and snakes are in no way similar, however if the cats are feral I have no issue with trapping and euthanasia.

Except that we're only talking about doing so if we are in danger.....

If there was a cat in my yard that was going to bite me/my child /dog and kill within minutes you can bet I'd chop it's head off and I wouldn't be apologising for it either.

Snakes are one very good reason that I have indoor only cats these days. I won't tolerate any snakes in the house yard, but respect their right to be in the bush and creek banks etc.

Predominately here we have copperheads and eastern browns which are fairly timid and you'd have to tromp right on them to get bitten, we have the odd tiger when the creek is up, they tend to stay put if you walk near them so you are more likely to accidentally threaten them and get struck.

When I was in Woomera, we had mulgas - they were an entirely different kettle of fish and more than once we had co-workers chased by mulgas in a bad mood. The big ones rear up with flat heads like cobras. We had no tolerance for them in town limits at all.

Yep the tigers here flair their heads/necks when they are disturbed/cornered or in a bad mood and you walk too close. They chase after people as well if the circumstances dictate.

One bloke down here had one in a shed he couldn't catch, he had to wear wellies in his shed as every time he went in there it rushed and struck at him. It was very territorial. It went on for months. Not sure if it ended up being killed or what happened.

Edited by OSoSwift

I walk every evening in the Adelaide Hills and my road is very windy and often I have to be on the road or when a car comes step into deep leaf litter, they are regularly snakes that have been hit on the road. For some reason the other day I just started getting paranoid about being bitten as I am by myself and just kept repeating what I would do if that happened. I started taking mental notes of property numbers etc. When I got home I packed some bandages in my back pack so that I am semi prepared in the future too.

I have lost 2 ponies, dozens of sheep and a camel to snake bites and I am constantly fearful for my dogs. Last year we had a red bellied black in the dam and it would swim under water for a long time and chase you when you were on the dam wall. My Clydie was playing in the water splashing and it went after him, the snake was despatched