How Do Staffy & Blue Heeler Pups Go Together

staffylover

Hi all.

For many years we have been searching for an english staffy to add to our family but have had no luck!!!

Eventually, we ended up deciding on getting a little blue heeler pup & he is terrific!!!

It's been about 3 weeks since we got out pup, and NOW, (wouldn't you know it) a litter of pure breed english staffy's have become available & they are sooooo cute!!!!

I intend on going to visit the pups before i make any final decisions*- but before i even do that- I was hoping anyone could tell me their experiences in having 2 different breed puppies together*, and even better still, how a blue heeler and stafford puppy would go together?

We have a fairly big,low maitenance, fully fenced back yard-so lots of room to run around.

Just curious how they will get along, and if so- what would be better- getting another male, or getting a female. (at this stage, i'm looking at a female)

Any thoughts & suggestions appreciated.

Recipe for dog aggression in the family:

Two dogs close together in age, size and gender.

Staffordshire Bull Terrier litters aren't uncommon. I'd give yourself 12 months to get the cattle dog pup settled, trained in obedience (this is not a breed to leave in the back yard to entertain itself) then reconsider whether you're up for another dog.

I'd certainly be going for the next dog of the opposite gender.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Personally, I would never have 2 puppies at the same time again so I would concentrate on raising and training your cattle dog pup in to a well adjusted dog and get another dog down the track. Once you already have a well adjusted and trained dog they can help instill good behaviours in the new pup.

Personally, I would never have 2 puppies at the same time again so I would concentrate on raising and training your cattle dog pup in to a well adjusted dog and get another dog down the track. Once you already have a well adjusted and trained dog they can help instill good behaviours in the new pup.

Ahh yes, makes sense! Thank you.

Staffordshire Bull Terrier litters aren't uncommon. I'd give yourself 12 months to get the cattle dog pup settled, trained in obedience (this is not a breed to leave in the back yard to entertain itself) then reconsider whether you're up for another dog.

English staffords are rare as hens teeth (at least here in SA). I have been searching (within 200km's) of my location for one for the past 3 years, but had no luck. As far as other states go- People keep falsely advertising pups as pure breeds ,only to find out that they are not. Over pricing said pups well over $1000 !!!! or selling pups with bad health problems- So- we have vowed to only buy one from someone locally, where we can go and visit the pups and the parents (& breeders) before making any decisions, to avoid any of the problems we have encountered earlier.

That being said- It's just typical that an advertisement would come up from someone in the town over from us & in the right price range- just weeks after we picked up our little bluey!

Makes sense to wait until our heeler is trained before getting another pup though. Must keep a rational head about it i suppose. Might hold off for a while and see if another litter becomes available. Not holding out any hope, but maybe that just means it wasnt meant to be.

just one question - breed aside -

are you prepared for all the extra work ?

you might enjoy reading these two threads while you're thinking . ;)

good luck!

CLICK HERE

CLICK HERE

Ahaha yeah, kind of know it will be extra work- have had 2 pups before, but last time they were the same breed & same gender.

There was much chewing,pooping, hole digging, ignoring & having to separate them at meal times etc.

This was many many years ago now. No longer in a rental property either (which is a bonus) and have 3 children to help with giving love and attention (and poop clean ups!)

Just wasn't sure how a Blue heeler & Stafford pup would go together. If they would be excessively aggressive or antisocial or lead each other astray, bonny & clyde style.

Thanks very much for the links, had a quick read through. Good to hear other peoples experiences with 2 pups the same age.

there are several breeders with litters in SA that are listed on the DOGZONLINE puppies for sale page .

not that I am suggesting you get one yet - but seems as if they will be around when you're ready next time .

I will put my feelers out again in a few more months in here then, and see what's around.

preferably under $1000 though and has to be within 200km of where i live, so i can go and visit before making any decisions, just to be safe. (I am sure all breeders on this site are awesome- but i have been burnt too many times in the past to take any chances)

Thank you for your advice though. Makes sense to wait til my blue heeler is older and better trained before introducing another pup.

2 pups AND 3 kids ?? Wow. :)

aha yeah, but they are old enough to help out now. youngest is almost 8.

We have wanted another fur baby since our last one passed away. He had the most amazing temperament and was so good with the children when they were babies. Have wanted to get another as a companion to the kids. They love taking the puppy for walks and giving him treats for sitting etc.

I'm not familiar with staffy prices ( they are not english btw ), but i would say most purebred dogs that are health tested are at least $1000. unless you want a " rare " blue( actually most common), colour.

Perhaps someone here can recommend a breeder, but you can always get one sent interstate.

My neighbour bought one pup, a cav, no problems till a month later when they were passing the petshop again and decided to buy a Cocker pup to go with the Cav. chaos!

They now both bark alot, he said all the training he did with the Cav has gone, and they are more interested in playing with each other than taking notice of anything they say.

Personally i wouldn't do it, get to know your heeler, and then you can make a better match.

1457845173[/url]' post='6795866']
1457843385[/url]' post='6795851']

English staffords are rare as hens teeth (at least here in SA). I have been searching (within 200km's) of my location for one for the past 3 years, but had no luck. As far as other states go- People keep falsely advertising pups as pure breeds ,only to find out that they are not. Over pricing said pups well over $1000 !!!! or selling pups with bad health problems- So- we have vowed to only buy one from someone locally, where we can go and visit the pups and the parents (& breeders) before making any decisions, to avoid any of the problems we have encountered earlier.

That being said- It's just typical that an advertisement would come up from someone in the town over from us & in the right price range- just weeks after we picked up our little bluey!

Makes sense to wait until our heeler is trained before getting another pup though. Must keep a rational head about it i suppose. Might hold off for a while and see if another litter becomes available. Not holding out any hope, but maybe that just means it wasnt meant to be.

Totally! I assumed 2 pups would be double the fun and cuteness and although they were cute actually they were a real headache. Never again! You can become the third wheel if you are not careful. eek1.gif

The beauty of waiting is once your cattle dog is a settled and sensible adult and you get a new puppy, you get to go through the whirlwind again but without trying to juggle two idiots at the same time. laugh.gif

I laugh now but I was genuinely at my wits end at times and felt like I wasn't doing any of us justice.

Also, I agree with HW on having opposite gender. It doesn't work that way every time but if it was to be an issue it would not likely manifest until maturity anyway so it is just one good way to help minimise the potential for problems.

Good luck with it all.

Edited by corrie

there are several breeders with litters in SA that are listed on the DOGZONLINE puppies for sale page .

not that I am suggesting you get one yet - but seems as if they will be around when you're ready next time .

I will put my feelers out again in a few more months in here then, and see what's around.

preferably under $1000 though and has to be within 200km of where i live, so i can go and visit before making any decisions, just to be safe. (I am sure all breeders on this site are awesome- but i have been burnt too many times in the past to take any chances)

Thank you for your advice though. Makes sense to wait til my blue heeler is older and better trained before introducing another pup.

Just to give you an idea - it COST me nearly twice that per puppy to health test, breed, whelp and raise my litter of 4 very robust puppies. And that didn't go close to covering my own time. You do get what you pay for.

Agree with everyone else - I wouldn't have 2 pups if you paid me!

I'm not familiar with staffy prices ( they are not english btw ), but i would say most purebred dogs that are health tested are at least $1000. unless you want a " rare " blue( actually most common), colour.

Perhaps someone here can recommend a breeder, but you can always get one sent interstate.

My neighbour bought one pup, a cav, no problems till a month later when they were passing the petshop again and decided to buy a Cocker pup to go with the Cav. chaos!

They now both bark alot, he said all the training he did with the Cav has gone, and they are more interested in playing with each other than taking notice of anything they say.

Personally i wouldn't do it, get to know your heeler, and then you can make a better match.

I say English stafford as opposed to American /Amstaff.

Whenever i have searched for just stafford, it always comes up with Am staff and cross breeds.

The (blue) stafford i purchased from a breeder**** in Brisbane, cost $2,500 plus freight inc crate*. Was meant to come with a *puppy pack & papers but when she arrived, she was covered in dermatectic mange (according to a skin scrape test done by my own vet $$$$) and unbilical hernia, which vet also instructed would make it dangerous for her to breed with ,if we ever wanted her to down the track.

Ended up sending pup back to breeder (long story) & did NOT get our money back. Breeder wnet on to BREED with the puppy less than 6 months later- even after our vets said it would be bad to do so with this pup****

The whole experience has left us bitter and hurt and angry.

Would consider spending $1000 on a stafford- but not concerned about papers as long as we can see the parents are actually both staffords* and not crossed with god-knows-what else. (another long story!)

1457845173[/url]' post='6795866']
1457843385[/url]' post='6795851']

Totally! I assumed 2 pups would be double the fun and cuteness and although they were cute actually they were a real headache. Never again! You can become the third wheel if you are not careful. eek1.gif

The beauty of waiting is once your cattle dog is a settled and sensible adult and you get a new puppy, you get to go through the whirlwind again but without trying to juggle two idiots at the same time. laugh.gif

I laugh now but I was genuinely at my wits end at times and felt like I wasn't doing any of us justice.

Also, I agree with HW on having opposite gender. It doesn't work that way every time but if it was to be an issue it would not likely manifest until maturity anyway so it is just one good way to help minimise the potential for problems.

Good luck with it all.

ahaha noted ;-)

I think i will wait then. Thanks :)

I say English stafford as opposed to American /Amstaff.

I think calling the dog breed you want "English Stafford" instead of the name they are known by with the ANKC breeders - ie Staffordshire Bull Terrier will cause problems with the small scale breeders.

There are two ANKC registered puppy farmers - in SA who sell Staffordshire Bull Terriers. One that I've met is ok but completely ball obsessed and doesn't play with other dogs at all. Not even the other dog it lives with.

I can tell you which ones they are by PM but it's easy to tell in the journal or by ringing dogs sa and asking who has the most litters in terriers... One had thirteen SBT litters listed in the November 2015 journal - tho that looked like about 6 months worth all at once.

I've got a cattle dog bitsa and she spent a lot of time with SBT especially when she was little so she LOVES them. And plays well with them.

There's one that has been competing in agility until recently and is of the Riverhaven line - lovely black and tan and super friendly with everybody - including my dog.

To get the right puppy from the right breeder you need to be patient and make friends with the breeders and meet their dogs and stay in contact with the breeders who have dogs you like.

You can always contact the breeder of this litter, go and visit and if you like the dogs, ask if they could let you know when they breed again. That way it's not such a gamble trying to find what you want when you're ready for the next puppy.

It took me four years to be ready for my westie puppy, but by the time I was ready it ended up working in perfectly with the breeder. I'd contacted her 9 months before I was ready for a pup and she had two planned litters for that year (different bitches) the second of which worked in perfectly for me.

He has lots of champion / supreme champions in the three generations on his pedigree. Not sure how hard they are to get, but it looks good :D only mention that so people don't think she was a puppy farmer - the breeder shows westies. I didn't see either litter advertised.

A staffy and cattle dog would get on well together IMO my staffy used to love playing with high energy dogs. Preferably other staffies (they're like magnets) but if none around then something that liked to run :)

Edited by karen15

The two breeds you've picked are a great combination but they both require a fair bit of training especially as young dogs, as others have suggested I would wait til your first dog is 12-18months old then introduce a pup.

We have 5 dogs and now 3 kids, my two youngest dogs are only about 6 months apart it made toilet training very difficult and I wouldn't do it again.

Edited by Rascalmyshadow

Just say Staffordshire Bull Terrier, people in the know know the difference from American.

When you do get your second puppy, down the track, I hope that at least one of the dogs will be desexed if not both.

Also when you are ready, do not bother with puppies for sale on here, go to the breeder listings here, see you are in SA, go through the listing and contact the breeders listed here in SA and contact them and have a chat and maybe put your name down with the one that you feel comfortable with.

I have friends who breed the Stafford and show them on a regular basis, but they rarely have a litter.