German Shepherds At Crufts

Kavik

I was looking for an answer to JayGee's question, as to my knowledge its just aesthetics and judge preferences?

but this is an interesting read

http://www.louisdonald.com/the-evolution-of-the-back-of-the-gsd.html

denali, thank you for the link, much appreciated. I tried to digest it tonight, will have another read tomorrow, when it my make more sense to me.

The picture that you also posted is gorgeous, and how I perceived they should look.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One short video of one dog does not represent a whole breed and its health. Anyone in Sydney over Easter should come see the German Shepherd National show and trial (also herding) for the real life animals that represent the breed in this country

Good point. I went looking through my folders tonight at all the GSDs I have owned (and shown) and I couldn't find what I would call an extreme example amongst them. There are some extreme dogs out there (of course) but personally I don't see very many at all and I go to enough GSD specialties to have a good idea.

As for the clip that's going around the owner states how they were not allowed to let the young dog move but instead they had to stand around waiting for hours. The bitch was usually shown outdoors but the indoors/crowds/standing still for too long made the dog anxious and a bit silly. It happens. While I agree that at such a well known show you would like to see a really bomb proof dog I can understand that it can just happen occasionally.

What I would really like is to see her on the move properly. When she isn't mucking around. Straight out in front and on the move. Then I feel like I could make some reasonable comments. There was even a photo of her when she was about to sit/being pulled out of it that was used as an example of her stacked. Ummmm hello any dog would look bad like that :laugh:

I don't think she would be my cup of tea when it comes to GSDs but at least to see her stacked and then moving properly before I made any harsh judgements.

This isn't the first time the breed has gone through change and it wont be the last. From saddle backed, to really short legs, to too long legs, to no chest/bad underline, to the extreme opposite, to foxy heads, to over the top skulls, even just too short to too large. The GSD has been there. The extreme slopes are just another blip in the breed and since in my experience there aren't many breeders out there aiming for that I cant see it lasting either. A well balanced dog will beat the extreme dogs and the wheel will keep turning. For the record I have actually witnessed a judge doing this. He basically said the bitch was too extreme and she was placed further back. The more well balanced bitch won.

The GSDs are a beautiful looking animal, or at least they should be. There needs to be balance in showing, a panel of judges would be a good start, and a rethink of the wording of the standard as the interpretation has clearly gone awry. The animals at the best show in the world/country should be the best specimens, a nicely put together animal should look like a nicely built animal regardless of whether it's being silly or not moving at it's best, if it's truly too hard for the judge to see the dog's movement and conformation they can request they run them out or stand them up again.

The focus on the GSD is because the GSD is a well loved and popular breed, and it has changed significantly in recent years. Same thing has happened to a lot of breeds, quarter horses cop the same criticism because the changes are more pronounced and obvious than has been seen in other breeds and it's a popular breed with a long history, not that it doesn't happen in other breeds but when you get a breed that originated as a working animal and the current show lines resemble beef cattle because someone took the part of the standard that says "well muscled" to it's extreme and you end up with animals that can't be ridden and can barely move. Friend of mine bought a halter bred quarter horse he's a nice horse with better feet than most other halter bred horses but due to his conformation he is an uncomfortable ride and can't canter without disuniting, yet he wins champions in led classes.

The problem with showing or anything involving judges is that it's very insular, everyone knows everyone and if you put a popular animal down in the placings you won't get invited back to judge again. Makes it very hard for sports/pursuits that run largely on the blood of volunteers, most of whom compete or have a relative competing, to then be able to effectively and objectively respond to issues that do crop up.

Still it needs to be done in order to survive, it is very hard to defend pure breed animals as healthy and the show ring as a good arbiter of conformation when any numpty can see that something has gone astray along the way.

Compare to the GSDs in the Crufts Police dog display

I only watched a smidge of this. dont they teach dogs to walk at heel anymore? :confused:

I think some of them were very young/green dogs, barely more than puppies really

I only watched a smidge of this. dont they teach dogs to walk at heel anymore? :confused:

I think some of them were very young/green dogs, barely more than puppies really

Agreed - a lot of youngsters at the beginning. I really enjoyed watching the relaxed obedience and bite work by the experienced dogs.

Agreed - a lot of youngsters at the beginning. I really enjoyed watching the relaxed obedience and bite work by the experienced dogs.

I'm pretty sure the dogs are meant to charge out in front. They are meant to be protecting the police or searching or sniffing etc.

I don't think anyone should be charged with abuse and feel for the owner who no doubt loves and wants the best for her dog.

My issue is with the way they look/move in general and it isn't just GSD's. There are other breeds that seem to be bred with looks as first priority rather than function, and don't really agree with that.

I think if PB dog fanciers keep trying to ignore these issues they can't be surprised by all the backlash.

It isn't backlash. its downright abusive and what surprises me is the amount of people who claim to love dogs being so utterly vicious. Perhaps you haven't visited the Crufts page.

I'm not making excuses for that behaviour. I already said I don't agree with it. When I say backlash I'm referring to all kinds of feedback on PB dogs in general.

No I haven't been onto the Crufts page.