Help And Advice Needed Please

Loba

My elderly mother lives in Auckland and is having two major surgeries at the end of the year.I am her only relative and will need to go back to be with her from perhaps the end of November or middle of December until the middle or end of March. My gorgeous Swiss Shepherd cannot come with me and I really really don't want to put him into a boarding kennel as he is extremely sensitive, affectionate and *soft* Please can anyone suggest a home-like environment that wold be able to care for him while I am away, He is 15 months old, neutered, vaccinated, house trained, great with kids cats etc but absolutely must have attention and company. Obviously I will cover all expenses etc.

Guest crazydoglady99

Please consider some sort of legal agreement with whomever you end up choosing - it would be awful for the deal to turn sour.

All the best finding someone. How very stressful.

(Is any possibility of your mum coming to Australia instead..???)

I hadn't considered a legal agreement - thank you for the advice. Sadly no it is not possible for my mother to come over to Australia to recuperate although we did spend a great deal of time investigating that option,

Don't mean to sound rude but are you sure you can't take him?

The import process is pretty straight forward... (I moved to NZ with a much smaller dog last year)

Alternatively try the breed club or breed fanciers pages on facebook?

Ask your local vet if you can post an add in their reception?

Loba, as he's still only young, are you still in touch with his breeder? Sometimes breeders are in a position that they can temporarily mind one of their rehomed dogs in certain situations.

That was a good suggestion to get any arrangement clarified.

Also there are kennels & there are kennels! Some are willing & able to give a more personal service for the dogs. There's only one here in Qld (sorry it's not Melbourne) where I've been more than happy for our tibbies to have a longer stay. They like it, too. I know they cater for long-stayers, too.

If you thought one in your area looked promising in that regard, would it help to give your boy a test try?

Another suggestion. Young couple in our family go to New Zealand for a month or so regularly (wife has elderly parents there). They've got house sitters (who come with references that you can also check out & a love of animals, too).

That means their 3 dogs & 2 cats & miniature horse & 2 alpacas have live- in- their- own -home care. They've always been very happy with it. Would you like me to ask them how they've got these house sitters.

Guest crazydoglady99

My thoughts were - elderly mother = not a suitable place to house dog. Or retirement type village- no pets allowed. Only an assumption of course.

Isn't coming back into aus difficult SM? Long quarantine time etc?

Maybe I am wrong.

OP - maybe need to find something relatively close to where you live. Only so you can do a trial run, get to know the person etc?

I just saw Scottsmum's post asking if you've checked the viability of taking your boy to New Zealand?

Just adding an idea to that. . I know a couple who come from NSW to stay for a few weeks with wife's elderly mother who lives in a small unit that doesn't allow dogs to stay. But they always bring their tibbie with them, following an arrangement with a nearby good local kennels. They drop the tibbie at the kennels each evening, where he has his dinner & sleeps the night. His family pick him up after breakfast & he spends the day with them. And so it goes on.

That could also be done the other way around.... staying at the kennels during the day & picked up to go home with you for the night.

Edited by mita

My thoughts were - elderly mother = not a suitable place to house dog. Or retirement type village- no pets allowed. Only an assumption of course.Isn't coming back into aus difficult SM? Long quarantine time etc?Maybe I am wrong.OP - maybe need to find something relatively close to where you live. Only so you can do a trial run, get to know the person etc?

To be honest I'm not entirely sure what the reverse process is - but considering there's no rabies and not even HW Id be surprised if there was too many hoops. Can't say for sure.

House sitter is another good suggestion I'd forgotten about.

My folks had a house sitter in for 8 weeks for their cats twice - once the young girl had a party and ruined something :( the second time they got a more mature woman in and all was good.

I also house sat a cat for about 3 months...we paid reduced rent on the flat - but ideally it would have been free for us to live there 0 it was more inconvenient than not (for us) in the long run

Guest crazydoglady99

Maybe it depends which country you come in from. I have no idea.

I just thought the incoming laws in aus were particularly strict.

Maybe it depends which country you come in from. I have no idea.

I just thought the incoming laws in aus were particularly strict.

It's not cheap flying in from NZ but no quarantine. Any other country and yes quarantine is mandatory.

Edited by The Spotted Devil

Guest crazydoglady99

Ah gotcha. Thanks TSD :)

Sorry for hijacking your thread Loba:)

Edited by crazydoglady99

There is no quarantine BUT it will cost big dollars to take a dog that size back & forth .

Better to put the money towards finding a kennel that will provide the dog with alot of human interaction & exercise .Keep in mind a good kennels will provide more quality time than some house sitters .

I would not do a private board without a contract & without truly knowing what they will provide especially given you are covering the summer months .

We run kennels & long term boarders adapt very well .

You need to look at what method will provide your dog with the safest option & you will need to book soon as you cover school holidays .

I would not consider sending a dog east to strangers ,you need to find someone local & do meet & greets & a dummy run to ensure you dog will adjust to such a change without you being there if using a house sitter

Edited by showdog

Thank you for all your suggestions but sadly many of them we had already considered and discarded. Looks like a long term boarding kennel may be our only option which I cat see working for him given how much company he needs :(

Yes I have sent an email to his breeder but I doubt that she will be able to have him back - however fingers crossed!

Perhaps if you are on Facebook, look for breed specific groups- you never know, someone with a passion for the breed might be thrilled to have him stay.

Have you tried companies like 'Don't Fret Pet'?

I really hope you can find a suitable solution, it's a very unfortunate situation to be in. :( Even if your breeder cannot take him, she might have some good advice.

I've just had my tricky dogs at the kennel that The Spotted Devil suggested - Cottage Kennels. The staff spent extra time trying to get my girl to eat . They were having to sit with her and have her lick food off their fingers. So I wouldn't write off a kennel. Not going to be cheap though!

Also thought of this place - http://waggsbedandbreakfast.com.au She keeps the dogs in her home, not sure if she would take such a large dog.

Looks like a long term boarding kennel may be our only option which I cat see working for him given how much company he needs :(

Another bonus for the kennels, is that you have peace of mind that your dog is safe & secure.

I certainly feel that when the 2 tibbies are in the kennels. But I stress, the staff go the extra mile for their 'guests'. It's not the cheapest but it's worth it. The tibs know the staff now & are likely to go off with tails wagging. So, if you find the right kennels & go with that option, consider giving him a trial run or visit there, so its not strange to him. The staff may be able to give you some good advice about how to organize for a long-term stay.... like maybe take his own bed/bedding/toys/dinner dish & also old items of your clothing that strongly have your scent on them.

Most large cities have pet sitters who will mind dogs in their own home if the dogs need constant attention. If you can find one that has been recommended by a previous client, that would probably suit your situation - but it won't be cheap. You will also need a back-up in case the pet sitter becomes hospitalised or ill.

I would ask on breed notice boards and community pages. The most important thing is that both you and your dog trust the sitter.