Heartworm, Intestinal Worms And Flea Treatments

Kjn

Hi I have a 10 week old cavalier King Charles spaniel. My vet recommended a liquid applied to the neck to control heartworm, fleas, ticks and intestinal worms. I looked up this product online and there seemed to be a lot of reactions to this product and to other flea products applied this way. I feel more comfortable with ingested tablets after researching online so I've gone out and bought heartgard and Drontal because the heartgard doesn't protect against all intestinal worms. The problem is there's a crossover of some of the ingredients making timing difficult as I don't want to overdose him. What brands and combinations of treatments have people found effective and safe. Do I really need to flea my dog all the time?

Heartworm specific tablets for once a month. (Valueheart)

And then given that intestinal worming only needs to be done every 3 months once your puppy is 16 weeks or so. Drontal.

In flea season I give flea specific Advantage. But only use it when necessary.

I've tried Bravecto for a full on kill of fleas and it works beautifully. Occasionally you'll notice that fleas develop an immunity to a drug used repeatedly so a good kill-off works well and them you get back to normal.

Anway, it takes a bit extra marking on the calendar but I'm very very suspicious about the benefit vs negatives of 'all in one' used every month for their whole lives when it's completely unnecessary. And can happily manage doing it for multiple dogs to cut down on chemicals. smile.gif

Not sure if that actually answers your questions but that's what I do. laugh.gif

Great thanks that's helpful. The active ingredient is exactly the same as heartgard. It's considered the safest and most effective I think. I'm giving my dog half of one of the medium dog tablets (Drontal) and I might take back the heartgard. I'm a bit worried I'll overdose him with the other ingredient but I've heard it's not really possible but you can never be too careful. Also is flea season the warmer months?

Heartworm specific tablets for once a month. (Valueheart)

And then given that intestinal worming only needs to be done every 3 months once your puppy is 16 weeks or so. Drontal.

In flea season I give flea specific Advantage. But only use it when necessary.

I've tried Bravecto for a full on kill of fleas and it works beautifully. Occasionally you'll notice that fleas develop an immunity to a drug used repeatedly so a good kill-off works well and them you get back to normal.

Anway, it takes a bit extra marking on the calendar but I'm very very suspicious about the benefit vs negatives of 'all in one' used every month for their whole lives when it's completely unnecessary. And can happily manage doing it for multiple dogs to cut down on chemicals. smile.gif

Not sure if that actually answers your questions but that's what I do. laugh.gif

For useful advice, name the active ingredient that concerns you. My guess is it's Ivermectin for heartworm. Collie types tend to be VERY sensitive due to a genetic mutation (MDR1),but the mutation is rare in breeds and dogs without the mutation tolerate high doses. It's more complicated but let someone else explain.

Other worms: depends on what worm. Tapeworm requires a different med from roundworm, etc. I only treat for tapeworm if/when I see it in the poops. Otherwise I use something with pyrantel paomate as an active ingredient. I worm puppies often, but older dogs a few times a year at most. You can get combos that do both intestinal worms (other than tapeworm) and heartworm. I like Heartguard plus. There are lots of options. Heartworm is horrid, but other worms are no catastrophe, so no need to go for overkill.

Flea and tick treatment varies a lot depending on where you live. We have awful flea problems where I live, and I find Bravecto is great. But in areas where fleas aren't bad, Frontline, Advantage, etc. work fine.

Edited by sandgrubber

Well more important is learning what parasites you are likely to have to deal with in your area.This way you are not filling your dog with poisons which it doesn't need.

In SA depending on where you live the chances of your dog being exposed to heartworm may be negligible.

It needs a certain type of mozzie,female,which has just bitten another dog within a short distance with heartworm . It needs a certain constant temperature for a certain period of time etc.

Even if your dog sleeps inside in air conditioning that will protect it.

Fleas and ticks are seasonal too and you should only need a mild wormer every 6 months past the puppy stage.

If you go here -click on Heartworm Facts and Heartworm that's a start.

Edited by Steve

Well more important is learning what parasites you are likely to have to deal with in your area.This way you are not filling your dog with poisons which it doesn't need.

In SA depending on where you live the chances of your dog being exposed to heartworm may be negligible.

It needs a certain type of mozzie,female,which has just bitten another dog within a short distance with heartworm . It needs a certain constant temperature for a certain period of time etc.

Even if your dog sleeps inside in air conditioning that will protect it.

Fleas and ticks are seasonal too and you should only need a mild wormer every 6 months past the puppy stage.

If you go here -click on Heartworm Facts and Heartworm that's a start.

I have to agree here .. I'm in SA in the Murraylands and I do not give heart worm prevention. Weighing up the risk of feeding my dog poisons every day/month/year to the in my opinion, negligable risk of contracting heart worm, I choose to save them from the chemical warfare. Also fleas are not as much of a problem down here as eastern states and northern Aust , so I only treat if my dog happened to pick up fleas. Ticks are generally only an issue if you live north of pt Augusta. We are really fortunate in most of SA, but there seems to be a blanket approach to the whole country in recommending parasite treatments rather than a regional one. I'd rather take a do we really need this approach over a here have your poison just in case kind of approach. Intestinal worming should be done every few weeks as a puppy but past about 12 to 16 wks I only give an intestinal all wormer once or twice a year.

Thanks for all the input. I'm happy to do the heartworm tablet as the associated risks of the ingredient in heartgaurd are low. I'm going to a vet now that only vaccinated every three years. My last dog died of gme at 5 and was vaccinated every year which I think contributed to his overactive immune system. I live near Morphettville racecourse and I've heard of a few ticks in this area. But I'm only going to treat if necessary as I don't like the topical flea treatments you are supposed to give regularly. I think it's good to be aware of the risks of some of the drugs that have caused terrible adverse reactions. Don't get me wrong I believe in preventatives and vaccinations but you need to be careful.

Thanks for all the input. I'm happy to do the heartworm tablet as the associated risks of the ingredient in heartgaurd are low. I'm going to a vet now that only vaccinated every three years. My last dog died of gme at 5 and was vaccinated every year which I think contributed to his overactive immune system. I live near Morphettville racecourse and I've heard of a few ticks in this area. But I'm only going to treat if necessary as I don't like the topical flea treatments you are supposed to give regularly. I think it's good to be aware of the risks of some of the drugs that have caused terrible adverse reactions. Don't get me wrong I believe in preventatives and vaccinations but you need to be careful.

Im sorry to hear about your previous dog.

Just last week I had my head bitten off by a poster here with a sick old dog with a history of seizure and skin issues who'd just been vaccinated. And had another seizure a few days after the latest vaccination. When I questioned the intentions of the vet who decided vaccinating an old sick seizure dog who'd very likely had annual vaca it's whole life,I was told they trust their vet. And it was a thread asking about the best commercial dry food for this sensitive skin dog. Here was a dog needing immune support, not insult, if ever I'd heard of one!

:banghead:

I only treat fleas if I see one which is very rare, usually if I have been to a place with a large number of dogs. Heartworm I give a monthly tablet (Valuheart) but give it every 6 weeks. Heartworm is a risk where I live ( a dog next door who never went anywhere had it ) and intestinal worms are 2 or 3 times a year at most.

I only do fleas when they pop up. Heartworm I do monthly, as there have been locals with positive pets. The heartwormer I get comes with other wormers which I reckon is good considering dog's penchant for eating feral cat poop and fox poop :( ew. it's a monthly one.

I do vaccinate once per year with the C5. Wouldn't be able to attend obedience without it and considering how many dogs passing by, puts my mind at ease.

We only all worm now ,never had the need to flea treat & no longer heartworm ,after weighing up the risks & always heartworming we no longer do .

Obviously area plays a factor .

Your breeder should have advised what they suggest .

Be aware vets will sell what products they often get support .

There is no need to flea/tick treat if you have no issues & prevention shouldn;t always be a factor .

I show my dogs & there not treated ,if i have to for any reason which is generally because im going out of state to a high risk area then i will but i don't just do because & on a baby i would not be rushing out to apply stuff

Is anyone from Adelaide? Which vet would you recommend? I bought heartgard plus but next time I'll get valuheart so I'm not doubling up on the intestinal worm treatment. Seems like most people trust it.

Edited by Kjn

Great thanks that's helpful. The active ingredient is exactly the same as heartgard. It's considered the safest and most effective I think. I'm giving my dog half of one of the medium dog tablets (Drontal) and I might take back the heartgard. I'm a bit worried I'll overdose him with the other ingredient but I've heard it's not really possible but you can never be too careful. Also is flea season the warmer months?

Yep I find heartgard a bit of a waste. It doesn't do all the worms and they don't need worming every month anyway. Some allwormers do flea tapeworm, some do hydatid as well. Anyway, it's just a risk vs benefit balance that can be area specific. It's good to hear heartworm prevalence is lower in SA! Sometimes sydney vets will have a little map with red stickers for all the HW positive dogs that show up. :(

Usually yes flea season is the warmer months. IMHO if you've got roaming cats around the neighbourhood it is exacerbated, you'll notice in your area if you hear a lot of cat fights as they get stuck into breeding season.

Anyway, you'll see the fleas while you check for ticks. Get rid of them asap before they move into your carpet and yard. A capstar would do.

I don't give very senior retired dogs anything except allwormer here and there. If I control the fleas on the others and the environment, the oldies don't get them. They do get a heartworm test, intranasal kennel cough (lots are getting C3 at the pounds now regardless), a wormer, a wash and a capstar. I consider that a fresh start and am pretty happy that they are comfy and covered. :heart:

Thistle, cat poo kisses rofl1.gifrofl1.gifrofl1.gif groooosss.

Gruf, I think that thread is gone. It's scary what you hear about vets sometimes. smashpc.gif Some really good advice is gone now.

For what it's worth my guys are treated for fleas and ticks all year round but I live coastal NSW which generally has tick season all year round now. They are also wormed with Drontal (tablets not the chewies) every 3 months due to them liking to eat poo of all kinds. Heartworm is monthly with Valuheart.

It's definitely important to see what pests are common in your area -- I wouldn't treat for ticks if I didn't live in such a high tick area!

• 1 month later...

Bumping this thread.... I've been using Valuheart for Heartworm but none of my usual suppliers seem to stock it anymore.

I was wondering what everybody else was using? I'm not keen on products that cover everything...

Maybe a dumb question. Have you tried: http://www.valuheart.com/contact-us/ ?

No such thing as a dumb question!

I have but am yet to hear back from them