Roadkill...

Willem

I'm not shy of picking up a fresh killed wallaby from the road (as long as it is not rolled over by a truck), throw it in the boot and clean it out and cut it into portion at home (grandpa was a meat cutter). Then the portion go into the freezer (below 25 deg C).... and gets fed to the dog...2-3 times a week a portion (a portion equals approx. 50% of her daily food ratio - the other half can be kibble, chicken and/or homemade / dehydrated treats) as long as it lasts - it is her favored food!!!...lean meat including the bones, there is no other food that could compete with it.

My wife thinks it is disgusting ...I think it is one of the highest quality food you can feed, and it is for free....

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'd just be a little leery of what parasites the roadkill may be carrying... I hope you are freezing for an extended period before feeding to your dog - to kill off any parasites.

One of my workplaces breeds mice and rats for feeding reptiles and birds of prey, and we have to freeze them for at least 42 days before they can be thawed and fed out... and we know our rodents are parasite free!

T.

There's been numerous 'lost' farming hunting dogs up where I live who have survived on road kill and eventually found worse for wear but alive.

I'd also be worried about parasites , however when you think of Roo meat for pets it's just culled roos that are processed so maybe it's ok but the enzymes in meat starts to deteriorate quickly after death giving bacteria a chance to build up .

I'd just be a little leery of what parasites the roadkill may be carrying... I hope you are freezing for an extended period before feeding to your dog - to kill off any parasites.

One of my workplaces breeds mice and rats for feeding reptiles and birds of prey, and we have to freeze them for at least 42 days before they can be thawed and fed out... and we know our rodents are parasite free!

T.

...yes, it stays for at least a week in the freezer below 25 deg C, I also wouldn't take any carnivores / omnivores, e.g. foxes, rats etc. as these are the ones that might carry viruses that can also infect a dog. You also have to assess the meat for worms, unusual colors etc. ...the wallabies (just the right size) or a small kangaroo seem to be pretty healthy critters....

There's been numerous 'lost' farming hunting dogs up where I live who have survived on road kill and eventually found worse for wear but alive.

I'd also be worried about parasites , however when you think of Roo meat for pets it's just culled roos that are processed so maybe it's ok but the enzymes in meat starts to deteriorate quickly after death giving bacteria a chance to build up .

...for human consumption you would give game some days to age and 'getting the heat' out of the meat before you process it further and freeze it - so it takes a while till it starts to rot....of course it also depends on the temperature.

wrt roo mince / meat you can buy in petbarn etc.: I doubt that it has all the good stuff a fresh road kill has. It is also a complete different feeding: the mince just gets swallowed ...20 seconds and it's gone, while she really takes her time for the road kill (meat with the bones)...there is a saying that the digestion starts in the mouth where glands produces other enzymes required for a good digestion...you don't get this when a dog just swallows a chunk of mince - think about it, there is no mince for wolves on the food list...

I see a lot of freshly killed kangaroos on the road particularly early in the morning. I've always thought it a waste of good meat but it's not a good look for someone driving a taxi to get out of their vehicle wielding a knife :eek:

The roo pet meat sold through outlets such as Petbarn, Costco, and reputable pet shops has actually been processed at the abbatoirs so you know the meat has been checked for parasites. Sometimes you might see green dye in it. I once bought roo meat from a less than reputable outlet and it was obvious the shop owner had acquired it direct from the shooters. It came complete with the odd cigarette butt and beer bottle top :vomit:

I see a lot of freshly killed kangaroos on the road particularly early in the morning. I've always thought it a waste of good meat but it's not a good look for someone driving a taxi to get out of their vehicle wielding a knife :eek:

The roo pet meat sold through outlets such as Petbarn, Costco, and reputable pet shops has actually been processed at the abbatoirs so you know the meat has been checked for parasites. Sometimes you might see green dye in it. I once bought roo meat from a less than reputable outlet and it was obvious the shop owner had acquired it direct from the shooters. It came complete with the odd cigarette butt and beer bottle top :vomit:

I'm not so worried about the parasites, more about the overall quality - there are different bins, and when they cutting the meat and cleaning the parts the rubbish goes in one and the tenderloin in the other...

and wrt taxi driving: just keep a few of the big garbage bags in your boot and chuck it in the bags when you find one...as long as you don't park your car for a few hours in the sun it can stay there for a while :D

I once bought roo meat from a less than reputable outlet and it was obvious the shop owner had acquired it direct from the shooters. It came complete with the odd cigarette butt and beer bottle top

that would be illegal :( pro shooters supplying meat need pretty much the same hygiene procedures as meat for human consumption from memory .yuk.

Roos and wallabies can have coccidia... not a pleasant thing for your dog to get... I'd freeze it longer...

T.

...that's one of the protozoans that are literally everywhere, e.g. garden soil, they can pick it up on their daily walk...it is spread via the feces of dogs, myna birds, rats...; I believe it doesn't has an ill effect in a dog with a strong immune system - normally a pup develops natural immunity as long as it is allowed to play in dirt and gets fed properly (e.g. with roadkill :D )...and not over-vaccinated of course. It is more an issue for birds / budgies - if under stress an outbreak can have a devastating result.

I once bought roo meat from a less than reputable outlet and it was obvious the shop owner had acquired it direct from the shooters. It came complete with the odd cigarette butt and beer bottle top

that would be illegal :( pro shooters supplying meat need pretty much the same hygiene procedures as meat for human consumption from memory .yuk.

...maybe an apprentice thought the 'rubbish' meat bin for animal food producers is a normal waste bin :D ....

http://www.wikihow.com/Eat-Roadkill...another interesting source - I don't want to cook the meat, but want to keep it raw to maintain all the enzymes, hence would be reluctant to pick up all the carnivores / omnivores listed in this link which would require some 'germ killing procedures' (cooking, steaming...BBQ)....

ETA: http://www.mnn.com/food/healthy-eating/stories/how-to-eat-roadkill ... maybe I should become a 'DEERMAN' ...the dish in the video clip looks yummy, I guess my dog wouldn't like it if I also would start eating roadkill :)

Edited by Willem

...has anyone information about legality?...there might be a law that forbids the consumption of roadkill, or native roadkill?...I don't think that someone would control or try to enforce it, but it is always good to know....

ETA: ...found this: http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw/consol_act/npawa1974247/s101.html

(
5) A person shall not be convicted of an offence arising under subsection (1) in respect of the possession of any protected fauna, if the person satisfies the court:

(a) that the person believed, on reasonable grounds, that the state of affairs constituting the offence existed under and in accordance with or by virtue of the authority conferred by a licence under Division 2 of Part 9 or that the person otherwise obtained the fauna lawfully,

(b) that the fauna is the progeny of any fauna which the person believed, on reasonable grounds, had been lawfully obtained by the person, being progeny born after the lastmentioned fauna was so obtained, or

© that:

(i) the animal concerned was incapable of fending for itself in its natural habitat,

...I think it is fair to say that an animal killed via a car / truck is incapable of fending for itself?

Edited by Willem