The 'we Leash' - On Kickstarter

westiemum

I stumbled across this 'We Leash' tonight while I was having a quick look at kickstarer - and thought it seems to make intrinsic sense - and it seems that a lot of others think so too since the project is well oversubscribed with a couple of days still to go. But I wondered what what other DOLers thought of this leash?

Some will know I'm a great fan of kickstarter (my favourite cookware is often there for example). While you have to hunt a bit, there are some brilliant projects there which I think deserve supporting. And no I don't have any connection with this project - but thought it was very interesting, particularly since Mac's laryngeal paralysis I've developed a really distinct dislike of collars so found this to be very innovative.

But interested in what others think? smile.gif

Edited by westiemum

Ummm, I don't see how it's doing anything you can't do with a normal leash and a harness or collar, plus your dog carrying something if that's something they enjoy.

The creator says it's about the dog-human bond approach to training, but I feel like if you have a good bond and training relationship with your dog you wouldn't need the We Leash anyway, and if you don't then just using this piece of equipment won't create it.

It's cute though, I love seeing dogs happily carrying stuff with them :)

Edited by Simply Grand

Scottie often carries a fave toy half way to the park before dropping it. I dont think this is a lot different to pinning a babies dummy to its bib! The second leash handle thing has no appeal to me.

I don't have a strong opinion on it either way

Seems an odd invention which I'd say probably has a very limited market considering I think most dogs would just drop the extra handle...

I can think of one or two dogs who would like this. They are dogs who won't walk unless they are holding the leash... so something like this would give their owner some control while still giving the dog what they want.

I have one client whose dog would like this :laugh:

I am not keen on the bungee part of the lead though, I like knowing exactly how much lead length there is in case another dog/person/kid/rabbit etc comes by.

I'm not really a fan of this, I think. Looks like a lead with an attachment to catch the toy when the dog drops it. I can just imagine it dangling and dragging on the ground, being a fiddly pain.

The big change is just teaching dog to carry stuff to Keep it occupied? At least that will encourage a scattering of people to interact with their dog, learning a new skill.

But the design itself I am :/ on

The harness seems to have a buckle /clip just where the dog's elbow moves ..seems to be no padding or anything ? very narrow , ordinary webbing .

That extra bit would be a nuisance when it gets dropped !

I can see how it will appeal to some folks though - doing guide dog training , more than once a new youngster would concentrate better if given a rolled up junk mail flyer to carry ;)

I know several dogs that would live to be handed 'their leash' and owners who'd love to then still be able to have 'their leash' but the whole thing seems a bit clumsy.

Now it does remind me of a dilemma that families with small kids plus dogs face daily.......arguments over who holds the dogs leash. I see it almost daily in the salon upon pickup where children are involved. Tantrums over the kid wanting to hold the leash v the parent, or tantrums between siblings over who gets the leash. Several years ago I had a genius client 'invent' the we leash ahead of time when they arrived with one dog, two kids, three leashes attached to the dog. Genius problem solving parent!

I am not keen on the bungee part of the lead though, I like knowing exactly how much lead length there is in case another dog/person/kid/rabbit etc comes by.

without knowing I bet AU$ 10 that your client's dog is a retriever? ...I think the potential market is likely limited to those breeds...but then they carry whatever you give them, so why spending $$ on another leash?...because people can, oh well....

without knowing I bet AU$ 10 that your client's dog is a retriever? ...I think the potential market is likely limited to those breeds...but then they carry whatever you give them, so why spending $$ on another leash?...because people can, oh well....

Actually, the client's dog is a Staffy :) He loves to tug on and carry his lead!

Actually, the client's dog is a Staffy :) He loves to tug on and carry his lead!

...you ruined my day... staffies behaving like retrievers... the world is going mad :) ...

Edited by Willem

Thanks everyone - very interesting - seems people think it might work with some breeds but this particular execution is a bit clumsy. In thinking about it some more I doubt it would work well with terriers. Or at least my westies definitely aren't retriever types!

Gruf thats a good story about the three leads. And PK I think you've nailed what I was thinking but couldn't quite get to the bottom of - yes I wondered if the work/control aspect of it is why it works - and Perse's guide dogs story seems to suggest similar - bit like putting a working dog in harness.

I'm still very keen on harnesses rather than leads connected to collars around dogs necks. While I know its a sample of one I just don't like leading dogs with collars around the delicate neck structures (the larynx). In humans laryngeal damage can occur through one badly placed fairly light impact and I just don't think a collar and lead is safe after my experience with Mac (he had laryngeal paralysis which can be life-threatening).

Safe than sorry I suppose. smile.gif

I don't know if the handle the dog is carrying is the most attractive thing for a dog to want to carry.

The dogs I know that like to carry things on walks like sticks or balls. More solid, substantial objects.