Whitney Is Sad :(

Flashsmum

Our great dane girl Whitney is sad. We lost Harry last week and she is missing him.

When we lost our first dane, Harry took 2 -3 months to become himself again, and I expect it will take Whitney some time as well, but was wondering what others have done to help ease the pain.

We are not looking at getting another dog at this stage due to Whitney's health, and she has doggie friends she sees regularly. We are taking her for small walks (heart problems, so marathons aren't an option) giving her lot's of attention, etc.

She has taken to spending most of her time in our bedroom, or following me around. She is eating well and gets excited about going our, but other than that, she just lies around looking sad.

Is there anything some one has done to help, or is it just a matter of time, like with us?

Edited by Flashsmum

Sorry to hear about your loss. I don't really have anything useful to suggest .. except that a friend in similar circumstances, used some Rescue Remedy on her surviving dog. Hard to tell whether it made a difference, but it's one of those things that if it does no good would probably do no harm. Other than that. I think you're right .. it takes time for them as it does for us. I had the same sort of thing with my BC girl when my then boy, 7 weeks older, died suddenly. She definitely grieved .. and it does make thinks even harder. not being able to explain to the pups. :(

Same here - I was going to suggest some Adaptil spray for Whitney. I used to spray the dog beds before I left for work when we were in temporary, very unsettled accommodation and I think it helped a lot. Otherwise I think just keeping the routine as normal as possible and give it time is probably the key.

I have no doubt dogs grieve the death of their mates. My Sarah definitely grieved Mac's death this time last year but she had Andy's company to help her and seemed to 'move on' fairly quickly to life here as a family of three, rather than four.

Personally i would not give anything unless its a dire case,just go about her normal day,don't change anything unless you plan to stick with .

Also consider your own perceived emotion whilst she is sad don't over think it .She sounds like she is coping very well

Fleming was really upset when Tess passed, so much so that he wouldn't eat for a day or two, then moped around for ages. Time really is the best healer. Don't change your routine, just carry on as normal. Whitney will soon bounce back.

If she's still having problems in a month maybe consider a vet visit.

Hugs, it's difficult on everyone when one of the family goes over the bridge

I lost Ozz last week, the last of my old gang. My newest addition Zelda i have only had 6 months is now on her own.

She was a kennel dog previously, and Ozz showed her the ropes about being an inside dog and going for walks etc, she would follow him.

She has been miserable since he went, she stands just looking around when we go for a walk and is reluctant to go anywhere, and at home she is not herself.

Last night for the first time in a week we bumped into one of her playmates and she came out of her shell and hooned around playing zoomies,then came home and slept and has been better today.

I have tried not to fuss her, and put her outside during the day as usual while i work ( from home) to keep the routine going, but its hard watching her outside on her own without Ozz to wrestle. :(

I will get another dog, but as i'm not sure which breed out of my two 3 choices to go for ,( wasnt expecting to decide for a few years yet) i don't want to rush into it.

I'm sure they grieve, and its hard to keep things normal and not overfuss them i think.