After The Storms; Rain Lilies

Boronia

we call them naked ladies.

I always thought that belladonna lilies (Amaryllis) were naked ladies and my little flowers, which are a crocus, were rain lily or storm lily (Zephyranthe) but I had a google-look and they are both referred to a naked ladies, I think my ones should be called naked fairies as they are quite small, while naked ladies are more 'in your face' flowers

I always thought that belladonna lilies (Amaryllis) were naked ladies and my little flowers, which are a crocus, were rain lily or storm lily (Zephyranthe) but I had a google-look and they are both referred to a naked ladies, I think my ones should be called naked fairies as they are quite small, while naked ladies are more 'in your face' flowers

that's what I thought yours were. :o

that's what I thought yours were. :o

Belladonna lilies have lots of flowers on each stem and grow high 70-80cm tall

My storm lilies only grow to around 12-15 cm high and have one flower per stem, though one site reckons they grow to 30cm...they are lying

post-26505-0-87656300-1481355595_thumb.png

post-26505-0-73330600-1481355623_thumb.png

eta...make sure that you Google naked lady lily not naked lady; oopsie :laugh:

Edited by Boronia

Those little pink flowers (Colchicum) are wonderful :) Only last a short time , but they quickly form clumps of plants ..and the bulbs can survive a long dry spell :) Did you know also (thanks google, as I was looking for correct spelling )

The bulb-like corms of Colchicum autumnale contain colchicine, a useful drug with a narrow therapeutic index. Colchicine is approved by the US FDA for the treatment of gout and familial Mediterranean fever. Colchicine is also used in plant breeding to produce polyploid strains.

The real 'naked ladies' are a glorious thing!! Amaryllis belladonna ... absolutely gorgeous texture to the flowers ...and a sweet scent in the evening...

377896576_eaaac91f61.jpg

I've never heard of storm lilies before. I love that they can come up any time after rain. I wonder if I can get any down here, or do they prefer a warmer climate?

can't see why not, mine quickly form pods and when they dry off they are packed full of flat seeds so they can spread and grow into quite a clump.

I'll send ya some when they are ready.

I also checked the height of mine and they are now 30cm so that info was not lying after all, the stems have grown quite a bit taller since this morning

this is what the seed pods look like

post-26505-0-12944900-1481361635_thumb.png

I've never heard of storm lilies before. I love that they can come up any time after rain. I wonder if I can get any down here, or do they prefer a warmer climate?

can't see why not, mine quickly form pods and when they dry off they are packed full of flat seeds so they can spread and grow into quite a clump.

I also checked the height of mine and they are now 30cm so that info was not lying after all, the stems have grown quite a bit taller since this morning

Ooh I'd love some seeds please. I could sprinkle them over Pagan's (my mare) grave. She is buried near the place her beautiful son Rowdy had to be put down 11 years before and I've already got daffodils, jonquils, hyacinth and naked ladies growing around there, as well as a callistemon.

I love that they come up after rain. Pagan was put down on a very rainy day. :(

Edited by Kirislin

Ooh I'd love some seeds please. I could sprinkle them over Pagan's (my mare) grave. She is buried near the place her beautiful son Rowdy had to be put down 11 years before and I've already got daffodils, jonquils, hyacinth and naked ladies growing around there, as well as a callistemon.

I love that they come up after rain. Pagan was put down on a very rainy day. :(

I found some seeds from last year (well I am 99.95% sure it's them) so I'll pop them in an envelope and send them to you if you'd PM me with your address, there is a good chance they will all grow.

All the Rain Lilies came up ....

Yours are lovely Boronia - we've always called them Autumn Crocus, it's all very parochial and regional this common name thing. So I've learned today that I have been doing it wrong all my life with these. Just found a lovely short piece from Lambley Nursery that explains it in words of one syllable, the subtle difference between crocus and colchicum. (And mentions your Rain Lily).

http://lambley.com.au/garden-notes/autumn-crocus-autumn-crocus-and-autumn-crocus

The one I've always wanted a thousand or two of is the Crocus Sativa which produces saffron if you are lucky with cultivation and have time to do the nitty gritty harvesting involved. Not to get rich, but enough to sell a little for fun. Then we moved to a climate which would not support them, oh well, another dream dissolved.

Naked Ladies do brilliantly here in the drought country, they are always last man standing around old derelict farm houses when everything else has died, even tough roses and such. As Perseph said, they are glorious.

Edited by PossumCorner