BoldNFearless

Breeding Consecutive Heats

6 posts in this topic

Been doing some research into this "touchy" topic and would love to hear others thoughts .

im under the belief that mother nature (the wild) dogs will breed every heat in a pack situation. Its only us who think its unethical to do so. 
ive read a scientific studies that showed a bitch who was bred every heat did much better then a bitch who bred every second heat. they dissected the uterus after they had bred the bitches and desexed them and found the ones the most damage to be the ones who bred every other heat. And the uterus of the one who bred every heat to be in fairly good condition. It said that a bitch who has a heat and doesnt whelp puppies doesnt have a cleaning out effect of the uterus (this is part what can cause pyo)

also it said bitches who arent bred every heat are more prone to cancer,s pyo ad false pregnancies etc 

thoughts?

Rebanne   

it really doesn't matter what our personal beliefs are or science says. It's what the ANKC and their various state bodies say that we, as registered breeders, have to abide by.

• Like 1

Diva   

Breeding on two consecutive heats is fine with me, but that is not the same as breeding EVERY heat. Research on the first does not justify the second.

As for behaviour in the wild, there are a whole lot of limiting environmental conditions in the wild that don’t get to work their influence when we start making the decisions. 

• Like 1

yup ANKC rules on what WE do with OUR Dogs gotta love it 

yeh sorry i do mean just the once off, not that i would do more then 2 consecutive matings and rules say cant have 3 litters in 18 months. i know people who breed bitches every heat cos their heats are  more then 6 months appart so the litters are being born 1-3 months outside the 3 in 18 months so they get away with it. 

my point on the wild is its natural for dogs to do so... might not be what they want but they do and they handle it just fine. 

in my opinion most people who i know who bitches end up having Pyo is because they havent mated them, very rarely have i heard bitches who have been bred get it ... yes they do i know but 90% of the time its bitches who have never been bred or they wait until 4+ for thier first litter

Diva   

Is your point just that breeding back to back is better for pyo risk? I think that is fairly well known but pyo risk isn’t all that people base their decisions on. I have never had pyo in mine,  touch wood, even though most of my bitches are entire their whole lives and never bred. 

As for wild dogs, they  often come into season every 12 months not 6, much as the more primitive breeds still do. Talking to a Basenji breeder is interesting.  In the wild breeding is also responsive to the natural variation in the availability of resources, competition for breeding rights, and high infant mortality. Not really a comparable situation to breeding a domestic bitch. 

• Like 2

Rebanne   
On 5/21/2018 at 8:20 AM, BoldNFearless said:

yup ANKC rules on what WE do with OUR Dogs gotta love it 

yeh sorry i do mean just the once off, not that i would do more then 2 consecutive matings and rules say cant have 3 litters in 18 months. i know people who breed bitches every heat cos their heats are  more then 6 months appart so the litters are being born 1-3 months outside the 3 in 18 months so they get away with it. 

my point on the wild is its natural for dogs to do so... might not be what they want but they do and they handle it just fine. 

in my opinion most people who i know who bitches end up having Pyo is because they havent mated them, very rarely have i heard bitches who have been bred get it ... yes they do i know but 90% of the time its bitches who have never been bred or they wait until 4+ for thier first litter

I'm one whose bitches cycle every 10 months or so, plenty of time to recover from a litter, so theoretically could breed every heat or nearly so. My breed also often doesn't cycle before 2 1/2 to 3 years of age. Lots of my breed don't have their first litter until after 4. In the wild I would think it is more normal to come into season every 12 months or so. I doubt they handle it fine at anytime. They manage with what they have. Small litters, high death rates etc. Comparing wild to domestic is like apples to oranges.