Octogenpleb

Frantic weed eating

8 posts in this topic

My 12 yr old Bulgarian Shepherd has started waking me up in the night to go out and spends half an hour or so frantically eating grass and weeds before doing a small badly formed poo and coming back in. She is eating normally, basicly 50pc green tripe with chicken carcass or lamb ribs/neck etc and treats I make from dehydrated lites. Since she is a rescue dog who spent her first few years on the streets scavenging, I am puzzled at this new behaviour and not a little upset as I need my sleep. Vet examined her and merely suggested no more bones!!!  Anyone experienced anything similar?

Boronia   

Perhaps she is feeling sick, it maybe a plan to cut back the tripe portion of her diet and just give her 5--10% tripe., give that a go and see how she responds

• Like 2

At her age , the diet may need to be adjusted to something  she can digest more easily ? Frantic grass eating is often a sign of nausea/upset tummy ...and while it MAY be food related , there also may be other things happening to an older body .Did the vet suggest blood tests or anything to check & see how her liver  etc is functioning? 
Does it help if you give her bland food liked cooked boneless chicken with a little sweet potato  ? 
Maybe ask another vet as well ...

• Like 1

sheena   

That's a lot of protein...does she get vegies as well?  I would be asking the vet to do a blood test for kidneys

Yes that's not a balanced diet. I was going to suggest a vitamin/mineral supplement when I saw the topic but I think you need to work on the menu first. 

To much tripe. Should be a treat. Not everyday.

Could be pancreatitis. A blood test at the vets will prove it / rule it out.