Puppy with flatulance

47 minutes ago, sheltiesrule said:

I’m seeing my vet in a few days, will ask her advice then.

Your vet will most likely push there brand of food so just be mindful  you may come out even more confused.
Talk with your breeder ,breeders like to get feedback on what may not be working for a pup & often able to suggest   a biscuit that is known to suit your breed .
Some of the dry varieities can just be not suited to a some dogs ,fish can be one of those  & those with added items ,it becomes very hard .
My Taste of the Wild feed dog is due to chicken allergies ,the choice of legit chicken free dry here is very limited & he doesn't thrive on complete raw only .
We don't feed grain free by choice but when we do we also don't feed just dry we add to it
Simple fact is not every breed is the same & finding a suitable diet for your dog is worth a phone call to the breeder ,if you don't like there advice you can still go it alone  but you have given them the opportunity to assist.
Everyone will tell you something different  & it can become a mindfield of opinions.

The emu oil could be an issue .
I would consider going bland for a few days ,chicken mince,pumpkin & see what happens .

Edited by Dogsfevr
  • Like 1

UPDATE:  After switching to Ivory Coat a few days ago, flatulence seems to have resolved, but now she seems itchy and is scratching and biting herself.  I am going to cut out the meatball dog treats from the supermarket I was using for training and just solely feed the Ivory Coat for a week.  Seeing the vet for vaccination on Friday, so will ask her advise.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, sandgrubber said:

Evidence? I have read the opposite. 

I could find stuff on the internet which could be evidence or not, you don't really know. Anyone can find proof of their theories. :laugh:

First hand: first thing we do is eliminate all chicken for food allergy signs (paw, armpit, chin/mouth & groin rashes) and chronic ear infections. And cut down to single protein. 

Much of the time it works. I'm not scientific enough to know why. It just does. We also treat symptomatically at the same time to catch up (eg ear infections don't clear up on their own). For sensitive dogs any chicken, even in a treat, causes a relapse. Hot skin, itchy ears.

Roo or venison are good replacements. 

edit; not saying the dog in this post has allergies. 

Edited by Powerlegs
  • Like 1

Puppy is on Ivory Coat grain Free Puppy lamb (large breed, because larger kibble makes her slow down and chew more).  This is day 2 of feeding the kibble just mentioned and nothing else.  Flatulence is  much better on this.  There is no skin rash, but puppy is scratching more and nibbling her back and legs., which she wasn't doing on the Black hawk.  I'm hoping its just a teething thing.  I'm seeing vet on Friday, this vet treated my previous sheltie who did have allergies.  What length of time should you give a brand of food before you know whether it suits your puppy or not?

LOL..so I guess you don't look in her mouth very often!!  It's a really cool trick to teach babies ...one which is SO useful ..and which will stand them in good stead all their lives :)
When she's relaxed, lying alongside you, or on your lap ..stroke her face/muzzle gently .... her lips ... just inside her lips ..and along her gums . Just bit by bit , and just for a minute ...until after a few sessions, you can rub your finger along her gums with her mouth closed :) That's a good start .... I prefer to do it without talking , so to lessen any chance of pups getting excited . 

Persephone, I will try stroking her mouth tonight.

Teddy Beans, I have  just checked the Ivory Coat ingrediants of the lamb grain free and it contains chicken fat, could this be the problem?

Edited by sheltiesrule

Just stroke her muzzle/mouth as you stroke her everywhere else :) her muzzle and mouth should receive the same attention during patting/brushing as her belly/ ears/ feet/ chest/tail :)

Get her used to you stroking her mouth etc..then move on..don't let her dictate STOP...rather just stroke elsewhere on her head for a second, and get back to the muzzle, quietly and calmly praising her .you may send her to sleep if the stroking is smooth and calm!

The time to give a food is one of many factors because you need to eliminate other foods .

Personally when ivory coat started  changing there formulas and adding stuff to it I stopped using it .

Itching isn’t due to teething .

Most products that say lamb,fish or what ever else often contain chicken of some sort which makes it challenging for those owners with a legit chicken allergy dog and yes chicken is one of the bigger allergy food .

But dog could be itchy for over reasons ,dirty coat ,are you brushing the dog etc etc 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, sandgrubber said:

Evidence? I have read the opposite. 

I don’t know whether it’s scientifically proven but my dog had bad  allergies when he was little and I did a lot of reading and found that chicken was the main culprit.  

My boy was on a chicken based kibble and at that time was hard to find a kibble that didn’t contain some sort of chicken. Even if the protein wasn’t chicken it usually had chicken meal or chicken fat.  But I was able to find one that was fish, and once he was on it, he noticeably scratched less.

https://pets.webmd.com/dogs/guide/caring-for-a-dog-that-has-food-allergies

2 hours ago, sheltiesrule said:

Teddy Beans, I have  just checked the Ivory Coat ingrediants of the lamb grain free and it contains chicken fat, could this be the problem?

I can’t say for sure but usually it has to be a process of elimination.  Switch him to something not chicken and try to stay with one protein so if something caused him irritation you can deduce which protein it is.

My boys used to be on taste of the wild salmon range.  I recently switched to meals for mutts salmon which has no chicken and they seem to be doing well.  I switched for two reasons

1. TOTW is imported from USA while MFM is made local.  I recently heard they do something on imported dog food (at quarantine) which I didn’t like.

2. MFM was better value

You can give it a try.  ask for samples but I think it usually take one full regular bag to tell whether it works or not.  Samples are usually not enough. 

Edited by teddybeans

I can’t remember who told me or where I saw it but fish was the least allergy prone.  That’s why I went with fish.

Don’t forget, it probably won’t happen immediately as there will still be some chicken or whatever protein in their system between the switchover.  And gradually change the diet (mix a bit of both) switching it completely in one go may cause the runs.

On 18/06/2019 at 6:23 PM, teddybeans said:

I don’t know whether it’s scientifically proven but my dog had bad  allergies when he was little and I did a lot of reading and found that chicken was the main culprit.  

My boy was on a chicken based kibble and at that time was hard to find a kibble that didn’t contain some sort of chicken. Even if the protein wasn’t chicken it usually had chicken meal or chicken fat.  But I was able to find one that was fish, and once he was on it, he noticeably scratched less.

https://pets.webmd.com/dogs/guide/caring-for-a-dog-that-has-food-allergies

I can’t say for sure but usually it has to be a process of elimination.  Switch him to something not chicken and try to stay with one protein so if something caused him irritation you can deduce which protein it is.

My boys used to be on taste of the wild salmon range.  I recently switched to meals for mutts salmon which has no chicken and they seem to be doing well.  I switched for two reasons

1. TOTW is imported from USA while MFM is made local.  I recently heard they do something on imported dog food (at quarantine) which I didn’t like.

2. MFM was better value

You can give it a try.  ask for samples but I think it usually take one full regular bag to tell whether it works or not.  Samples are usually not enough. 

Teddy beans, do you know if the MFM Puppy Turkey Salmon Sardine is free of chicken fat/meal?  Can only seem to find info that says the adult salmon sardine is made with fish meal.