flyers123

Looking to buy new puppy from breeder

32 posts in this topic

@flyers123 keep us posted on what you eventually get.  It may not be in days or weeks, or even months as reputable breeders usually have a waiting list.  But i'm sure one day you will find the perfect one if it was meant to be!  good luck.

• Like 1

On 15/06/2019 at 10:59 AM, sheena said:

Questions to ask the breeder?  Depending on the breed of course, what health & genetic tests have been done on the parents? Is pup going to be on Limited or Mains Register (if neither, run a mile)? What is their policy on taking the pup back if things/circumstances change?  Most good breeders will insist that the puppy/dog be returned to them in this case. 

Questions from Breeder?  Have you owned this breed before? Do you have a fenced yard? How high are the fences? Are you prepared to desex your dog if on Limited Register.  How much time will you put into training/hanging out with the dog? Will the dog be alone all day?

Heaps more...

Thank you Sheena for your generous help.

Anyone else would like to chip in more questions?

Questions to ask the breeder?

Questions from Breeder?

Hi All, A question comes to my mind. I mentioned earlier about this website Koaas that had picture of German Shepherd with puppy next to it. Is this website not reliable or the ad in particular that I should not trust on any websites similar to Koaas, Gumtree? How can I check if a website is legit?

35 minutes ago, flyers123 said:

Hi All, A question comes to my mind. I mentioned earlier about this website Koaas that had picture of German Shepherd with puppy next to it. Is this website not reliable or the ad in particular that I should not trust on any websites similar to Koaas, Gumtree? How can I check if a website is legit?

The websites are legit but you can have anyone sell stuff on it.  The sellers may not be legit, some are fraudsters in fact that scam people.  I once had someone contact me on gumtree wanting to buy something I posted, then came really weird requests saying they were overseas and couldn’t get me the money so request that I wire money over to them and they will pay me back when they are back in Australia.  All didn’t make sense at all.

then I had someone else on another ad contact me in one email asking if I could lower my price and then in subsequent emails offer me an amount more than what I had asked for.  All sounded fishy so I reported to gumtree and they confirm they were scams they are already aware off.  

gumtree can have very dodgey people behind the accounts.  So that’s why I say for puppies to avoid it and seek better sources.  Gumtree is fantastic for selling second hand goods, but in my opinion not puppies.  I haven’t used kooas before but think it’s probably the same level as gumtree in terms of reliability. 

once you decide, ask the breeder lots of questions, a good Breeder will generally respond with detailed responses and you could most of the time gauge from their response whether they are dodgey or not.  An unethical Breeder won’t respond or address your concerns, in which case, move on.

Edited by teddybeans
  • Like 2

Don’t forget you can also get feedback from people on this forum.  If it’s a genuine breeder, people on this forum would have dealt with them.  I think there are quite a few good breeders that frequent this forum.

• Like 1

Sorry I also forgot, genuine breeders will also offer you papers for the puppy- like a certificate with the family tree and bloodlines.  A lot will mandate you desex your dog and doing that they will return a portion of your money.

Questions are two way, don’t be shocked if the breeder asks you questions too!  In fact be shocked if they don’t ask you any.  They want to know you are a responsible owner and have a good home for the dog.

8 minutes ago, teddybeans said:

Don’t forget you can also get feedback from people on this forum.  If it’s a genuine breeder, people on this forum would have dealt with them.  I think there are quite a few good breeders that frequent this forum.

Everyone in here is awesome and so helpful. I am glad to be part of this community.

Thank you once again.

• Like 2

Boronia   

There is some info here https://www.petsecure.com.au/pet-care/is-it-ok-to-buy-a-dog-online/

https://www.lifehacker.com.au/2017/05/how-to-buy-a-puppy-without-getting-scammed/

and this ABC link has some helpful facts, especially the 'I used a tool called a reverse-image search, which checks to see if a picture has been posted somewhere else on the internet'. https://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-10-21/puppy-scammers/8943034

and, if you are interested in a particular pup perhaps ask here and give the location of the owner and the advertisment to make sure they are legit.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Boronia said:

I used a tool called a reverse-image search, which checks to see if a picture has been posted somewhere else on the internet'.

This is a good idea!

Rebanne   

if it is a GSD you are wanting then I suggest you join your state club and ring/email the puppy officer. I wouldn't say 100% of members would do the right thing but most would, otherwise they get thrown out. Also, as the club can be political, there are very good breeders who are not members. But you want one that can show proof of their membership of an ANKC state body, proof of their dogs papers and health tests.

• Like 5

On 18/06/2019 at 1:32 PM, Rebanne said:

if it is a GSD you are wanting then I suggest you join your state club and ring/email the puppy officer. I wouldn't say 100% of members would do the right thing but most would, otherwise they get thrown out. Also, as the club can be political, there are very good breeders who are not members. But you want one that can show proof of their membership of an ANKC state body, proof of their dogs papers and health tests.

Thank you all for your time and generous thoughts. I will certainly consider all the advice that I have been given here. Can I post the pictures here once I have got the puppy?

• Like 3

Rebanne   
3 hours ago, flyers123 said:

Thank you all for your time and generous thoughts. I will certainly consider all the advice that I have been given here. Can I post the pictures here once I have got the puppy?

yes puppy pictures are a must

• Like 3