Vca prefix exam! So Badly worded and each answer has multiple answers! Can anyone help

Jrw

I am Doing my open book VCA prefix exam and I am struggling to find the answers in the material that was given to me I have looked and seen that when people of asked for help before no one has been very forthcoming. But this exam hasn’t been looked at in over 15 years it’s still refers to the code of ethics 2005 and one of the questions still says pending update from 2011 we are in 2020. If anyone is willing to put their attitude of ( if u want to breed you should know the answers) I’d like to see you answer it based on the small information sheets they give you aside. Then please let me know. 
thank you so much 

Jade 

your post seems rather aggressive. I understand your frustration but it's not DOL's fault the exam hasn't been updated. For what it's worth I agree with you. When I did the exam years ago there were actually a couple of points I disagreed with.

• Like 1

I have no idea what is in the VCA prefix exam but we have helped some in my state with an odd question .(not given answers)
The last one we helped made the question harder than what it was & here it requires looking up the rules & regs  .
The answer was very easy & infact if this person showed regularly & brought catalogues & really read the cats answer would have jumped out easily they then just needed the correct wording to go with the answer
You need to realise plenty do pass so the answers are there so it might be time to step back from the questions & start reading the rules & regs & the other info often that makes understanding the question easier

IMO the breeders exam is pointless.  It's easy to cheat by getting someone else give you the answers.  When I took the WA exam I found several questions ambiguous / confusing.  This out of date stuff is unforgivable. If I wrote such a poor exam when I was teaching at university I would have gotten a lot of flack, and if I had given the same stupid exam year after year I would never have gotten tenure.  One more obstacle to limit the number of new people becoming breeders. 

Edited by sandgrubber
  • Like 1

You should be thankful it's an open book exam.  NSW have to complete and pass without assistance. There's plenty of notes and study material available, but once in the exam you aren't allowed anything other than your computer/phone/tablet to sit the exam completely supervised.

It's like being back in high school and sitting the HSC.

On 30/07/2020 at 2:46 PM, Rebanne said:

your post seems rather aggressive. I understand your frustration but it's not DOL's fault the exam hasn't been updated. For what it's worth I agree with you. When I did the exam years ago there were actually a couple of points I disagreed with.

I’m sorry it seems aggressive but I spent an hour reading over the original replies in 2010 when the original person asked for help. And was shocked that the common response was that if he couldn’t figure out the answers on his own then he doesn’t deserve to be a breeder. I found that attitude awful. The poor guy was asking for help from people with more knowledge and got slammed for it. 
I guess I was a little upset when I wrote the post! 
bur those people had not even done the exam. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Princess Fru Fru said:

You should be thankful it's an open book exam.  NSW have to complete and pass without assistance. There's plenty of notes and study material available, but once in the exam you aren't allowed anything other than your computer/phone/tablet to sit the exam completely supervised.

It's like being back in high school and sitting the HSC.

Should be thankful that almost every answer concontradicts itself. The answer in the material is different to the options 

F3592B5F-955D-4B4D-A9E0-9AABD2BFAFCC.jpeg

23 hours ago, sandgrubber said:

IMO the breeders exam is pointless.  It's easy to cheat by getting someone else give you the answers.  When I took the WA exam I found several questions ambiguous / confusing.  This out of date stuff is unforgivable. If I wrote such a poor exam when I was teaching at university I would have gotten a lot of flack, and if I had given the same stupid exam year after year I would never have gotten tenure.  One more obstacle to limit the number of new people becoming breeders. 

Think you are correct.

its been an exercise in blocking new members for over a decade now, the limit only breeders are the icing on the extinction cake.

although giving some one the answers also educates them 

what really gets my goat is so may half witted vets today look at a puppy with some problem and they say with the utmost conviction.   "its inbred"

even when there isn't a common ancestor in generations.

or in the case of many it isn't even a genetic cause?

there is a reason women take folic acid and if they are low the birth defects caused by low folate are not genetic but try telling most of today's vets that?

But it one of the major drivers of the push to crossbred's.

Well remember Rob Zammit going on a program demonstrating all the defects on TV show, clearly visible in a crossbred because both unrelated breeds had all the same genetic faults so obviously "inbreeding" wasn't the problem. 

selecting for freedom from faults is the issue,  but seems easier to take the easy "inbred" diagnosis

Edited by asal