New purebred puppy owner- inexperienced with papers needing help

Teags00001

Recently I paid for a blue English staffy that was sold to me as purebred and told it had all papers. This is the first dog I have bought by myself and I’m not familiar with the paperwork. Can anyone advise me of the correct paperwork I should be receiving? Also I wanted to know if I chose to use him as a stud in the future would I need any further paperwork from the breeder or what paperwork would I need? 

please help newbie 

Give your breeder a ring first off. Sometimes it's takes a couple of weeks to get papers back and then the breeder needs to send them out. If you wanted to do the right thing breeding wise you would need full papers which are coloured blue. Then you need to join VicDogs.Also you would need to do any health tests required for Staffordshire Bull Terriers. You may also need to do DNA testing. https://dogsvictoria.org.au/

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Deeds said:

Are blue staffies able to be shown.  I thought the blue colour wasn't recognised by the ANKC.  So would that mean not on the Main Register?

Yes they can be shown.  Blue is in the standard. I think the issue is with the standard asking for a black nose. But it would just be a fault like any other, not a DQ. I suspect most judges wouldn’t be too worried if it’s dark. 

• Like 1

Papers mean so many things to breeders .
Are they an ANKC /Dogs Australia breeder ,MDBA or one off the other registeries.
As for stud work just buying a pup & saying hey he has testicles is far more than that .
These things should haave been discussed with your breeder who may have considered the choice off pup differently .
Where parents tested ?
Is pup clear by parentage for certain issues?
Why did this pup get selected ?
Does it represent the breed well at this stage.
Is its mouth good,construction good 
And who will do the stud work ??As a stud dog owner its not a case of the birds & the bees just happen ,some dogs need manual work & thats your job as part of your stud fee unless you pay for a stud master at your own expense .

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 06/07/2022 at 4:57 PM, Diva said:

Yes they can be shown.  Blue is in the standard. I think the issue is with the standard asking for a black nose. But it would just be a fault like any other, not a DQ. I suspect most judges wouldn’t be too worried if it’s dark. 

HILARIOUS isnt it, the standard writers seem unaware no blue dog can have a black nose. The nose can only blue

Same applies to a chocolate of any breed as well. the nose can only be chocolate.   well unless you want to get the vet to tattoo it black? as some do to prevent cancer on a pink nose or ears, ive seen it done to a friends cat. after they lost their previous white to cancer

Edited by asal

Dogs with ANKC papers usually come on the limited register. Almost all breeders sell them on this.

If you want to be a breeder normally you would talk to the breeder beforehand and they would know your intention. Once they hit a certain age then they can undergo all the relevant testings for the particular breed and at that point the breeder may decide to change them over to the full register. But you don’t just breed from then. You also have to be a member of your state club for a certain time and pass an exam, get your prefix etc. It’s a pretty big deal and takes a lot of effort. Normally your dogs would also ‘prove’ themselves to the standard in some way such as showing or other titles. 

The first thing I would clear up is what the papers actually are. There are several non breed club registered breeders who are registered with other types of breeding practices and they might have some form of papers to prove this but it’s not AKNC affiliated. 

• 1 month later...
On 11/8/2022 at 5:01 PM, asal said:

HILARIOUS isnt it, the standard writers seem unaware no blue dog can have a black nose. The nose can only blue

The breed standard was written prior to the knowledge of genetics.  And you need to remember that the original breeders were mostly very much working class and without much education.  A dark slate nose can sometimes appear “almost” black in dogs with good pigmentation.

It’s like the fact that genetically, there is no pure black in Staffords.  Even the darkest looking dog will have stripes somewhere.