"Can't Cope" Shelters Swamped as Owners Offload Their Covid Companions

Deeds

My mobile phone number is private. I can't imagine the number of calls I'd get, when I see the inbox is bad enough. :cry:  All excuses, who knows which are truthful. 

We all saw the covid fallout coming (for whatever reason the dogs and cats are dumped).
Check gumtree and FB groups. There's a massive flurry of selling and FTGH of dogs who would have cost thousands.
And always the staffie x types. Poor staffies & bull breeds.  :(    

Covid buying doesn't explain the dumpage of long owned mature and senior dogs unless it really is the rental crisis and people unable to afford vet bills.
They weren't covid purchases so we must be also dealing with hardship, social and economic issues.    

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

5 hours ago, Powerlegs said:

Covid buying doesn't explain the dumpage of long owned mature and senior dogs unless it really is the rental crisis and people unable to afford vet bills.
They weren't covid purchases so we must be also dealing with hardship, social and economic issues.

Or now they have a "valid" excuse to use to offload dogs who are now starting to cost in senior treatments for common aging ailments...

T.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, tdierikx said:

Or now they have a "valid" excuse to use to offload dogs who are now starting to cost in senior treatments for common aging ailments...

T.

There's probably an element of that in the numbers of oldies surrendered, but I think @Powerlegs words "hardship, social and economic issues." is biting harder than we would like  (comment mostly deleted as political).

Edited by PossumCorner
fixt
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

11 hours ago, PossumCorner said:

There's probably an element of that in the numbers of oldies surrendered, but I think @Powerlegs words "hardship, social and economic issues." is biting harder than we would like  (comment mostly deleted as political).

heard an announcement on the news that 1 in 8 Australians are now living below the poverty level :(

• Sad 4

On 31/10/2022 at 12:21 PM, Selkie said:

It's interesting that it still seems to be the same breeds. Bull types, working dogs, some large purebreds and the odd terrier. Why do people insist on overbreeding bull types? 

because they are wanted by so many, a bull breed at your side shows your tough,  most of the puppies im asked to chip because it was sold not chipped is a bullie, usually an AM Staff/ pit bull, NOT that they want u to put pit bull, "its an Am Staff"  why? because they are legal , and most when I ask for the immunisation certificate?   nup dont have that either. tell they need to get it to the vet ASAP as it could already have parvo and be at risk of death is the only way to get them to take it to the vet.

tell them their puppy breeder has broken the law and they cant get gone fast enough. which is fine by me, no immunisation card? no chip mate! Get to your vet.   NOW!

the true back yard breeder sourced puppies 

Although once the new 2 litters only per bitch come in, its only going to be back yard breds will be to be found and most of them will be bullies.

well until the black market begins to catch up to fill the void

Edited by asal
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 31/10/2022 at 2:21 PM, Selkie said:

It's interesting that it still seems to be the same breeds. Bull types, working dogs, some large purebreds and the odd terrier. Why do people insist on overbreeding bull types? 

They're easy to breed.  Large litters.   No problems finding a stud, escape artists so cross bred woops litters relatively common.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

There are a massive number of Cavoodle litters advertised in Gumtree fight now!   Yet our pounds are NOT OVER FLOWING with CAVOODLE"s

"94 Results: cavoodle in Sydney Region, NSW"

there are

"481 Results: cavoodle in Australia"     .    .   .  481 Cavoodle litters 

"89 Results: moodle puppies in Australia  .   .   .  . 89  moodle litters  

"72 Results: maltese poodle puppies in Australia .    .    .  72 maltese poodle litters

" 75 Results: labradoodle puppies in Australia  .       .      .75 labradoodle litters? 

that's over  717 oodle x litters, and ive only done, Cavalier, maltese and labrador x's........... no way I'm going each individual add  and adding how how many puppies in each litter

But? why aren't our pounds full of oodle's????????

O! Goodness there's even more?

57 Results: bordoodle in Australia

56 Results: Poodle cross in Australia

84 Results: groodle puppies in Australia

66 Results: spoodle puppies in Australia

33 Results: toy spoodle in Australia

Making a total of  1,013 oodle X listings under what names I can think of AUSTRALIA WIDE TODAY AS OF   2.00PM   7.11.22  

Or border collies for that matter?

347 Results: border collie puppies in Australia

485 Results: border collie in australia

Making a total of 1,845 border collie listings Australia wide as of 2.00pm 7/11/22

On the Am Staff listings

There are  "87 Results: american staffordshire in Australia"   .   .   .      .     . 87 Litters of American staffordshire"s

There are also "205 Results: american staffy in Australia   .     .    . 205 Litters of American Staffy's

119 Results: american staffy puppies in Australia

49 Results: amstaff puppies in Australia

61 Results: american staffordshire puppies in Australia

Making a total 521 am staff listings in Australia as of today 2.00pm 7/11/22    (and whatever other names they call them)

Plus?

discovered there are

"11 Results: rednose in Australia"  .   .   .    .   .  11 rednose  litters in Gumtree

that's bogan for red nosed pit bulls,  I've heard that from so many proud owners of the unchipped unvaccinated "PURE RED NOSE, its the sign of their pit bull purity lady, but I want you to put AmStaff as its breed on the papers please."

So?  

We all suspect the answer to that anyway. 

There IS A REASON the pounds are full of one types and not the the other's.  They can be a real problem if not properly trained. Isn't that about when, "blame the deed not the breed" was coined?

the oodles n the border collies? Might love u to death, even the untrained. not politically correct to notice though

Edited by asal

Ever WONDERED why you couldn't find an add you know is listed?  that's just one breed. Yes a percentage can be found in more than one of the listings but many aren't. 

As well looking at the numbers the pounds should be full of them too since it amounts to in actuality 1,896 listings for Australia.  this is just one website, gumtree, as we know there are many more.

Dont think much of your chances of finding a cavalier at the pound, well not for long anyway.

191 Results: king charles cavalier puppies in Australia

231 Results: king charles cavalier in Australia

264 Results: cavalier puppies in Australia

318 Results:  cavalier in Australia

124 Results: king charles spaniel in Australia

102 Results: king charles spaniel puppies in Australia

123 Results: cavalier king charles spaniel in Australia

101 Results: cavalier king charles spaniel puppies in Australia

243 Results: king charles in Australia

199 Results: king charles puppies in Australia

Edited by asal

High percentage of cavs don't come into rescue until they have mammary tumours, green teeth and a shot heart. They are less likely to be the brand new healthy shiny ones snapped up in pounds and gumtree.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Powerlegs said:

High percentage of cavs don't come into rescue until they have mammary tumours, green teeth and a shot heart. They are less likely to be the brand new healthy shiny ones snapped up in pounds and gumtree.

Yes, I asked my vet why is it so hard to keep their teeth free of tarter, his reply, "they are bred with shockingly misaligned teeth. They are incapable of keeping their teeth tater free no how much you give them teeth cleaning chews. Has to be removed manually."

as it is now to the point that " The number of diagnosed cases in cavaliers has increased dramatically since 2000. Researchers estimate that more than 95% of cavaliers have CM and over 50% may have SM. The severity and extent of syringomyelia also appear to get worse in each succeeding generation of cavaliers. It is worldwide in scope and not limited to any country, breeding line, or kennel, and experts report that it is believed to be inherited in the cavalier. )."

That's not even without counting the incidence of MV.  Its heartbreaking for such an adorable breed.

"The incidence of myxomatous mitral valve disease (MMVD) is particularly high in some breeds such as the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel (CKCS) with as many as 90% developing this pathology by the age of 10 years"

The majority are on medication before 7, to think 20 years ago I had three lived to 14 and 17 MV free.

my sisters 2 were diagnosed at 6 gone at 7 and diagnosed at 6 gone at 9.

they have tried to compromise by  getting a cavoodle this time, he's only 2 so time will tell.

Edited by asal

2 hours ago, Powerlegs said:

considering how popular they are its a small number of owners who cant cope and surrender them, I know of no one who has done that, they have stuck with them until old age won.  I did find homes for my last three as I just was too upset seeing what my sister was going through with hers. So I did wimp it in the end.

But friends were clamouring to get one so none went to rescue.  Come to think of it never met one with mammary tumours, although one 18 month old pup had what I thought was a gum infection and turned out to be bone cancer, the whole jaw was involved so my vet put her down, he said sheer bad luck in his opinion.

so many years ago now.

Love the breed but cant face the thought of risking having one again

Edited by asal

Cavoodles were listed as the most popular or most bought dog breed in AU. I always thought it was labs. Maybe it’s still labs when it comes to registered litters. 

Why do people want cavoodles so much? I think probably because they are cute or at least cute as pups. We had some in our puppy class and incredibly cute and sweet. But I saw older ones too and they looked a bit funny, maybe just the haircut. I think smaller dogs are easier to care for though, easier to handle and don’t cost as much, and people who want a cute fluffy dog and get attached to them probably are people who do care and stand by them for the most part. But some people who get the bully breeds don’t seem to be as caring, sadly. Nor do their breeders, sometimes. 

Ever seen a staffy x maltese? I have... she was basically built like a regular staffy, but had wispy maltese-like hair... a pretty interesting look. We had her at the rescue I was with some years back, and we found her the best home ever...

We had a lovely couple come to look for a companion... he wanted a staffy type, and she was looking for a maltese type... so I said have we got the dog for you... lol! They fell in love with her the minute they saw her, and that was that... and from all the updates we got from them over the years after, she was spoiled rotten and lived the very best life.

By far the cutest pups we ever had surrendered to us were frenchie/pug/maltese... and we also saw a few litters of kelpie/corgi at one point too. Then there were the 6 mini bull terrier pups that had been dumped at a country pound... they were delightful and so cute! Back then you'd also see a lot of maltese/shihtzu crosses in pounds... usually with shocking coat conditions... supposedly surrendered/dumped due to the high coat maintenance cost/time... *sigh*

T.

• Like 1

That’s the problem with a lot of the fluffy dogs in my opinion, their hair maintenance. So sad when they get all terribly matted. I do understand though that some have such hair that you brush it and then there’s knots again in just an hour. I know someone with dogs like this and they shave them down but it can get costly at the groomers. 

Also apparently a lot of the mixed dogs have extra difficult coats from mixing double coats with curly ones and not combing right down to the skin. Then they end up with those funny hair cuts I guess. 

One of my favourite little dog breeds, though I’ve not actually met one, is the Havanese. But I love their long hair and although I’d happily brush from what I see of photos of them it seems very very common to shave them down which tells me it must take a lot of work. 

I really feel for dogs that get matted and no one does anything for them. 

On 07/11/2022 at 7:37 PM, Amazetl said:

Cavoodles were listed as the most popular or most bought dog breed in AU. I always thought it was labs. Maybe it’s still labs when it comes to registered litters. 

Why do people want cavoodles so much? I think probably because they are cute or at least cute as pups. We had some in our puppy class and incredibly cute and sweet. But I saw older ones too and they looked a bit funny, maybe just the haircut. I think smaller dogs are easier to care for though, easier to handle and don’t cost as much, and people who want a cute fluffy dog and get attached to them probably are people who do care and stand by them for the most part. But some people who get the bully breeds don’t seem to be as caring, sadly. Nor do their breeders, sometimes. 

I think people want cavoodles so much because they have the charactersitics that many people are looking for in a pet. Biddable, not too high a prey drive, often a lot of puppy characteristics to behaviour. I think people want the cav temperament, but are very understandably put off by the health issues, and as much as it is frowned upon here, if you really want the cav, I do think that outcrossing is a reasonable way to start addressing this. People who aren't dog people want a fluffy, affectionate, inoffensive companion whose needs are easy to meet in the suburban environment.

I would personally love a poodle, but I think they are way too clever, intense and sensitive for most people. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I want to adopt a Chihuahua or mix...there's plenty of them on Gumtree (backyard bred)...but I would rather rescue one.  They don't come up in shelters or pounds very often and when they do it seems they're out the door quickly.  I've also enquired about mature Chi's for sale from registered breeders but they're either already gone or well over my budget.  Since when did dogs become so expensive?  

19 hours ago, BlackWhiteGrey said:

I want to adopt a Chihuahua or mix...there's plenty of them on Gumtree (backyard bred)...but I would rather rescue one.  They don't come up in shelters or pounds very often and when they do it seems they're out the door quickly.  I've also enquired about mature Chi's for sale from registered breeders but they're either already gone or well over my budget.  Since when did dogs become so expensive?  

pit bulls and am staffs are cheap as chips and the pounds are full of em.  there are lots of inexpensive dogs available.   

Just not the ones many people want instead.

Edited by asal
  • Like 1

Popular  is just whats fashion at the time , can remember   quite a few breeds that  became very popular then  lost favor ,, live looking at the dog beach , been here for  around 30 years , go on it daily and seen them all come and go ,  will say though  the staffy never seemed to lose its flavor , although now i don't see any where near has many pedigree ,most are crosses  the oodle type are definetly popular seemed to have replaced  the little white fluffy ones .

One bunch of dogs that always bring a smile to my face is a lady who comes down with 5 yes 5  big Rohdesian ridgebacks , she controls all off them off leash ,,   its funny to watch my sons heeler , try to round them up , they just love to run and he loves to round things up , I used to call him back but she just says , let them go there having fun , when they get sick of it which is rare ,   they just  go for a swim , and he runs up and down to scared to follow them into the sea .  When she leaves . he wants to go with her :laugh: