Barging through doorways

BJ.

I have recently adopted a pair of older Basset ladies, they have been with me about a week now. They have already picked up toilet training and will sit stay on their beds. Pretty good for dogs not previously indoors. One problem we are having is barging through doors as soon as they are even slightly ajar. They are like a pair of bulldozers. I can get them to sit and stay but as soon as I put a hand on door they release. Of course they are then rewarded because they get to go where they want. I want to get on top of this asap as it can be a safety issue. Open to suggestions.

One of my young Borzoi boys did this for a while. At 46 kilos and with unbridled joy he could send the door flying. 
I taught him a back up cue so he has to be 2m back from the door and wait there until I open it and tell him he can go. Basically I taught the back up and wait separately them put them together as a sequence. If he creeps forward I step away from the door until he backs up again. If he does ever barge through I call him straight back and we try it again. He is very smart and worked it out quickly. But only with me, anyone who lets him barge he still does it with. 

• Like 2

Leaving doors open would work except for the indoor cat. I have had success with getting them to sit and wait...still a work in progress as I also have to train my husband. Often Dolly gives up and goes back to napping on her bed, Daisy is the bulldozer. Next is no chasing the cat! Thank you everyone, I just needed a reminder how to go about it. Been a while since I had to teach it.

On 26/11/2022 at 2:06 PM, BJ. said:

I just needed a reminder how to go about it. Been a while since I had to teach it.

I prefer using baby gates for this as I find it helps by allowing the cat and dogs to see each other and somewhat interact, and if the cat ever ends up on the same side as the dogs, there's an easy escape route by jumping over the gate.

Daisy and Dolly are just adorable and I can see each of them getting into mischief and leading each other astray! :laugh:

I just adore bassets and there aren't nearly enough of them around! :heart:

2 minutes ago, BJ. said:

Yes I did have a baby gate for previous dogs which worked great. I just have to remember where I put it. Somewhere safe no doubt.:laugh:

Better photos of the girls. 

20221130_193337.jpg

20221130_193304.jpg

awwww , look at their old-lady tummies and their saggy stockings

I just love them :)

I use baby gates and it’s awesome. I love the bulldozer reference. I have one of those, a big bulky lab who doesn’t like doors shut, visitors better be careful to make sure the bathroom door is shut tight behind them is all I can say.